The Student Room Group

Where will my A level options take me? + other questions about my future

I am currently in Year 11.

I have applied for sixth form with the A-levels History (Early Modern), Spanish and Psychology

I currently have no idea what I want to do in the future. Earlier this year, I was SET on working in conservation (possibly marine biology), certain on the fact that I wanted to work in animal behaviour in the wild or animal and environment conservation.

However, obviously to do this I would need to study biology at A level and maybe even chemistry. The problem is, I am unpassionate about science. I find it confusing and hard. The only bit of it I enjoy is the animal side of it. So, if i took biology, I don't think I would achieve a high grade because of my lack of interest in it.

So sadly, I waved goodbye to my animal-saving dream.

There is nothing else I want to do in the future (that I know of) so I can't help thinking I've made a huge mistake by neglecting biology.

I am happy with the A levels I have chosen, however, what does this mean for my future?

1. What career options would these A levels provide me with?

2. Is there any way I could still work with animals without taking biology?

3. Should I rethink my options? Should I do biology?

Thanks so much xxxx

EDIT: I do really enjoy history and as a subject it is probably my favourite! Just in case this info is useful
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hagrrid

I have applied for sixth form with the A-levels History (Early Modern), Spanish and Psychology

I currently have no idea what I want to do in the future. Earlier this year, I was SET on working in conservation (possibly marine biology), certain on the fact that I wanted to work in animal behaviour in the wild or animal and environment conservation.

However, obviously to do this I would need to study biology at A level and maybe even chemistry. The problem is, I am unpassionate about science. I find it confusing and hard. The only bit of it I enjoy is the animal side of it. So, if i took biology, I don't think I would achieve a high grade because of my lack of interest in it.

There is nothing else I want to do in the future (that I know of) so I can't help thinking I've made a huge mistake by neglecting biology.

I am happy with the A levels I have chosen, however, what does this mean for my future?

Thanks so much xxxx

1. diplomacy? maybe a psychologist? i'm not really sure. you should just google it.
2. you could take a level 3 diploma in zoology (if that's a thing) or just work experience with a vet
3. biology pairs pretty well with psychology (or so I've heard) but it's really up to you as you're the one studying it. don't do something you don't enjoy.
Original post by hagrrid

Thanks so much xxxx

You may be able to do a similar job with Geography?
Reply 3
Original post by nyxnko_
1. diplomacy? maybe a psychologist? i'm not really sure. you should just google it.
2. you could take a level 3 diploma in zoology (if that's a thing) or just work experience with a vet
3. biology pairs pretty well with psychology (or so I've heard) but it's really up to you as you're the one studying it. don't do something you don't enjoy.

Ok great thanks. I'll give that a google x
Reply 4
Original post by Fonzworth
You may be able to do a similar job with Geography?

I did consider Geography, however, it is my most-hated subject. Maybe A Level would be different though? I'll do some research
Reply 5
Original post by hagrrid
Ok great thanks. I'll give that a google x

r u planning on going to uni? u could search up if there are any uni courses that let you work with animals/conservation that don't require a science and maybe that could also give you an idea of what to do in life with those A-Levels?

For now tho, focus on your GCSEs, then spend this summer doing further research :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nyxnko_
r u planning on going to uni? u could search up if there are any uni courses that let you work with animals/conservation that don't require a science and maybe that could also give you an idea of what to do in life with those A-Levels?

For now tho, focus on your GCSEs, then spend this summer doing further research :smile:

Yes, I would like to go to uni. Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out!

Quick Reply

Latest