The Student Room Group

Is there any easy way to find whether a compound has permanent or induced dipoles?

I'm doing pastpapers and there's a question in which it has been asked whether a compound has permanent dipoles or induced dipoles.
Compounds are:
i) CH3CHO
ii) CH3CH2OH
ii) CH3OCH3
iv) (CH3)2CHCH3
I do realise that fourth one has induced dipoles since hydrocarbons always have induced dipoles but how to determine for other three?
Please reply asap!
Every molecule has induced dipoles, since they only depend on whether the molecules has electrons within it (and they all do)!

Permanent dipoles form when two atoms in the molecule have a significant difference in electronegativity. Carbon and Hydrogen do not. Hydrogen and Oxygen do, so will form permanent dipole-dipoles (and also hydrogen bonds!)
Original post by KingCrepe
Every molecule has induced dipoles, since they only depend on whether the molecules has electrons within it (and they all do)!

Permanent dipoles form when two atoms in the molecule have a significant difference in electronegativity. Carbon and Hydrogen do not. Hydrogen and Oxygen do, so will form permanent dipole-dipoles (and also hydrogen bonds!)

Also carbon and oxygen do so aldehydes and ketones have permanent dipoles and I am fairly certain.
Reply 3

Oh okay. Thank you!
Original post by a_09
I'm doing pastpapers and there's a question in which it has been asked whether a compound has permanent dipoles or induced dipoles.
Compounds are:
i) CH3CHO
ii) CH3CH2OH
ii) CH3OCH3
iv) (CH3)2CHCH3
I do realise that fourth one has induced dipoles since hydrocarbons always have induced dipoles but how to determine for other three?
Please reply asap!

It all mostly comes down to difference in electronegativity, as you know electronegativity increases going towards Fluorine so across the period and up the group, the higher the DIFFERENCE in electronegativity, the stronger the dipole, with the posibility of permanent dipole. If you're struggling, refer to the electronegativity values of each element and compare them; like someone mentioned before C and H are too similar in terms of electronegativity there so there's no permanent dipole, just induced but for something like H and F, there is a permanent dipole. Also, permanent dipoles usually result in polar molecules so usually alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about ketones here)
Reply 5
Original post by black1blade
Also carbon and oxygen do so aldehydes and ketones have permanent dipoles and I am fairly certain.

We haven't been taught AS Level Organic Chemistry uptil now.
Original post by black1blade

Yes that is correct, I didn't read the options properly, my bad.
Reply 7
No one has yet mentioned symmetry!

CF4 has polar bonds, but is a non-polar molecule and hence only forms idd.

OP: you may find this of use in answering your second question (ii).
Original post by Pigster
No one has yet mentioned symmetry!

CF4 has polar bonds, but is a non-polar molecule and hence only forms idd.

OP: you may find this of use in answering your second question (ii).

That is not quite right. It doesn't only form Induced dipole - dipoles. It forms permanent dipole-dipoles, but since the molecule is symmetrical, they 'cancel eachother out' hence it does not have any effect on the molecules polarity. They do form though.
Reply 9
I am quite sure we do understand each other.

It forms permanent dipole-dipoles

Do you mean it forms pdd or has polar bonds due to the differences in electronegativity?

It forms permanent dipole-dipoles, but since the molecule is symmetrical, they 'cancel eachother out'

It seems you are saying that the pdd 'cancel each other out'. Are you suggesting that the d+ C is attracted to the d- F on another molecule and that cancels out the d- F to d- F repulsion equally?

since the molecule is symmetrical, they 'cancel eachother out' hence it does not have any effect on the molecules polarity.

I really don't like my students using the word it as it rarely is clear what they are referring to. My guess is that you are suggesting that the fact that the molecule is symmetrical does not have any effect on whether the molecule is polar or not. Curious as you mentioned 'cancel eachother out' based on the symmetry.

They do form though.

They form but are instantly cancelled out. How can you know/show/test whether they are there?
Original post by Pigster

I really don't like my students using the word it as it rarely is clear what they are referring to. My guess is that you are suggesting that the fact that the molecule is symmetrical does not have any effect on whether the molecule is polar or not. Curious as you mentioned 'cancel eachother out' based on the symmetry.

They form but are instantly cancelled out. How can you know/show/test whether they are there?

It was referring to the fact that since the molecule is entirely symmetrical, the pdd's do not have an effect on the polarity of the molecule. They may be cancelled out, but that doesn't mean the pdd's don't form. There is a separation of electric charge, just the same separation all around the molecule, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest