The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University - journalism, media and culture

I want to apply this course however it seems to be more theory based and I know I definitely want to be a broadcast journalist. Would I be better off applying for a straight journalism degree which is more practical and offers many work placements?
Anyone else applying for this course? I think it must be a new course as I can’t find anything about it.
Thanks!
Original post by Leila1997
I want to apply this course however it seems to be more theory based and I know I definitely want to be a broadcast journalist. Would I be better off applying for a straight journalism degree which is more practical and offers many work placements?
Anyone else applying for this course? I think it must be a new course as I can’t find anything about it.
Thanks!

Hi Leila,

Have you seen our 60 Second Subject guide to the course? Check it out here: https://youtu.be/0L56EOMG4zc

The course itself supports a 9 to 12 month work placement as well as theory based learning. The University also enjoys a highly active student media scene where you can develop skills relevant to the media industry, with opportunities in our student radio and television stations, writing for our University newspaper and pop-up news projects for local digital news hub, Jesmond Local.

More information can be found on the course page itself: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/p500/#courseoverview.

If you have any more specific queries regarding the course itself please don't hesitate to ask 😊

Best wishes,

Susie
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Leila,

Have you seen our 60 Second Subject guide to the course? Check it out here: https://youtu.be/0L56EOMG4zc

The course itself supports a 9 to 12 month work placement as well as theory based learning. The University also enjoys a highly active student media scene where you can develop skills relevant to the media industry, with opportunities in our student radio and television stations, writing for our University newspaper and pop-up news projects for local digital news hub, Jesmond Local.

More information can be found on the course page itself: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/p500/#courseoverview.

If you have any more specific queries regarding the course itself please don't hesitate to ask 😊

Best wishes,

Susie

Yes I have seen the video.
Thanks!
Is there an opportunity to undertake a work placement with the BBC? Or any other major national broadcasters?
Original post by Leila1997
Yes I have seen the video.
Thanks!
Is there an opportunity to undertake a work placement with the BBC? Or any other major national broadcasters?

Hi Leila,

I passed your query on to one of our Journalism lecturers for a bit more information. Here's what he said:

‘As a Russell Group University, Newcastle University strives to be at the forefront in terms of teaching, learning and research excellence. Our BA Journalism, Media and Culture offers a holistic curriculum grounded in critical academic theory and journalism practice. To also account for the subject-specific interests of our students, we offer extensive modular choice such as optional courses on broadcasting, conflict and crisis reporting, as well as PR, advertising and celebrity culture, among many others. Whilst you will be able to specialize on our journalism course, the core modules which every student has to study comprise multimedia, print/writing and broadcasting (practice and theory) as well as law/ethics, research methods and media studies, among others. These modules teach essential skills for a journalism degree and allow our students to move into successful careers in different areas of journalism including print, online, and broadcasting.

Practical experience is a significant part of the study at Newcastle. The practical work in the core modules is mainly balanced in terms of multimedia (including audio and video broadcasting as well as online skills) and writing practice. There are two additional broadcasting modules that may be chosen in stages 2 + 3. The rationale is that multimedia and writing skills are essential as a foundation for journalism (also for broadcasting). Students may then engage in further work on broadcasting in the modules I mentioned above. So the degree is not focused on broadcasting, it rather speaks to the whole set of journalistic skills necessary in a digital journalism era.

In terms of opportunities to work for big name broadcasters: these are not built into the degree. However, we have many connections with such broadcasters including the BBC. So there will be announcements in terms of internships and other activities that broadcasters might suggest to us. Students can then apply although spaces might be limited. Some of our staff members have worked for large news brands or are still working for them. There should be a range of guest speakers from the industry as well. So overall this should be a very good package in line with what the best journalism courses in the UK do offer.’

I hope this helps 😊

Susie
Reply 4
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Leila,

I passed your query on to one of our Journalism lecturers for a bit more information. Here's what he said:

‘As a Russell Group University, Newcastle University strives to be at the forefront in terms of teaching, learning and research excellence. Our BA Journalism, Media and Culture offers a holistic curriculum grounded in critical academic theory and journalism practice. To also account for the subject-specific interests of our students, we offer extensive modular choice such as optional courses on broadcasting, conflict and crisis reporting, as well as PR, advertising and celebrity culture, among many others. Whilst you will be able to specialize on our journalism course, the core modules which every student has to study comprise multimedia, print/writing and broadcasting (practice and theory) as well as law/ethics, research methods and media studies, among others. These modules teach essential skills for a journalism degree and allow our students to move into successful careers in different areas of journalism including print, online, and broadcasting.

Practical experience is a significant part of the study at Newcastle. The practical work in the core modules is mainly balanced in terms of multimedia (including audio and video broadcasting as well as online skills) and writing practice. There are two additional broadcasting modules that may be chosen in stages 2 + 3. The rationale is that multimedia and writing skills are essential as a foundation for journalism (also for broadcasting). Students may then engage in further work on broadcasting in the modules I mentioned above. So the degree is not focused on broadcasting, it rather speaks to the whole set of journalistic skills necessary in a digital journalism era.

In terms of opportunities to work for big name broadcasters: these are not built into the degree. However, we have many connections with such broadcasters including the BBC. So there will be announcements in terms of internships and other activities that broadcasters might suggest to us. Students can then apply although spaces might be limited. Some of our staff members have worked for large news brands or are still working for them. There should be a range of guest speakers from the industry as well. So overall this should be a very good package in line with what the best journalism courses in the UK do offer.’

I hope this helps 😊

Susie

Thanks, this helps a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending