The Student Room Group

Motorsport engineering at Cranfield

Hi! I am applying for the same course at Cranfield! Can you please share your experience and any specific pointers which could help me?
Original post by Aamirs24
Hi! I am applying for the same course at Cranfield! Can you please share your experience and any specific pointers which could help me?

Hi,

Rep from Cranfield here!:smile: I am also a PhD manufacturing student in my final year, so I can help you with inquires as I can see that this thread is a pretty old one!:smile:

Your message asked about "experiences and specific pointers". I would say for advanced motorsport engineering, which Cranfield University offers, specific pointers will be industry involvement/partnerships, the practical side of work you'll get to do and how research intensive is your eventual university. This is important as motorsport is an advanced and probably niche area which is constantly improving due to the competitiveness and financial input of the sport. I guess this helps?

Cranfield advanced motorsport engineering modules are developed in collaboration with leading motorsport companies- from McLaren to Red Bull Technology to Virgin Racing Formular E team and others, there is a form of interaction they have with Cranfield which the students benefit from. In fact, your group design and individual project work is directly supported by industry, thus, before graduation or before attending any careers fairs, students may have already secured a career with these companies.

For example, a recently completed project was titled, "Design, manufacture and testing of a novel F1 suspension arm joint". Of course this student would have worked directly with a member of industry. As Cranfield is a wholly postgraduate school (we dont have undergrads here, sorry), we are constantly engaged in research. Cranfield University is home to the FIA approved Cranfield Impact Centre and Cranfield Motorsport Simulation which work with F1 and leading motorsport companies.

Specific pointers could include course modules. The are included on the website- from motorsport aerodynamics to motorsport electronics and data acquisition, to motorsport vehicle dynamics, etc. In all there are 9 core modules (that is, at the time of writing this!):smile:

Let me know if you have more questions. I would also advise, from my experience, that you make the application pretty quickly, as it is a competitive course, as expected.

Best,
Cranfield TSR Rep
:cyber:
Hi! I have offer letters from both Southampton and Cranfield University. However, Cranfield introduced a new course, advanced motorsports mechatronics and, offered me a place in this instead of the original advanced motorsports engineering.I am a bit confused and will really appreciate some advice here.
Original post by dinesh2804
Hi! I have offer letters from both Southampton and Cranfield University. However, Cranfield introduced a new course, advanced motorsports mechatronics and, offered me a place in this instead of the original advanced motorsports engineering.I am a bit confused and will really appreciate some advice here.

Hi,

First of all- Congratulations on your offers. Southampton and Cranfield both, presents exciting opportunities and challenges for you in Motorsports Engineering:smile:. I can speak specifically for Cranfield, as I am a current PhD student here- this is an exciting opportunity. The class size normally does not exceed 15 students, so it means you are part of what was a competitive selection process.

An advise- Advanced Motorsports Mechantronics focuses on the Mechantronics aspects of Motorsport Engineering. Your modules include; Introduction to motorsport, Motorsport electronics and data acquisition, Motorsport power train design, Motorsport vehicle dynamics, Embedded Automotive Control Systems, Motorsport aerodynamics, The business of motorsport- essentially modules that deal with "engineering of advanced control systems".

You still will have your group project work and individual project work which 20% and 40% of your MSc course and utilize the same Motorsport facilities. I may be wrong (as I do not have your details), but it may be worth considering that, possibly, the Advanced Motorsports Mechantronics closely relates to your degree discipline? Maybe?

Let me know what you think. Or let me have more details on the admission, if need be. Thank you and congratulations once again!

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep:smile:.
Thanks for the reply.
I am a graduate in Physics(Honors) and I belong from India.
I will like to know about the living expenses there and if there are any good scholarships I can apply for(already applied for commonwealth scholarship) as it's gonna be pretty hard for me to finance my studies there.
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi,

Rep from Cranfield here!:smile: I am also a PhD manufacturing student in my final year, so I can help you with inquires as I can see that this thread is a pretty old one!:smile:

Your message asked about "experiences and specific pointers". I would say for advanced motorsport engineering, which Cranfield University offers, specific pointers will be industry involvement/partnerships, the practical side of work you'll get to do and how research intensive is your eventual university. This is important as motorsport is an advanced and probably niche area which is constantly improving due to the competitiveness and financial input of the sport. I guess this helps?

Cranfield advanced motorsport engineering modules are developed in collaboration with leading motorsport companies- from McLaren to Red Bull Technology to Virgin Racing Formular E team and others, there is a form of interaction they have with Cranfield which the students benefit from. In fact, your group design and individual project work is directly supported by industry, thus, before graduation or before attending any careers fairs, students may have already secured a career with these companies.

For example, a recently completed project was titled, "Design, manufacture and testing of a novel F1 suspension arm joint". Of course this student would have worked directly with a member of industry. As Cranfield is a wholly postgraduate school (we dont have undergrads here, sorry), we are constantly engaged in research. Cranfield University is home to the FIA approved Cranfield Impact Centre and Cranfield Motorsport Simulation which work with F1 and leading motorsport companies.

Specific pointers could include course modules. The are included on the website- from motorsport aerodynamics to motorsport electronics and data acquisition, to motorsport vehicle dynamics, etc. In all there are 9 core modules (that is, at the time of writing this!):smile:

Let me know if you have more questions. I would also advise, from my experience, that you make the application pretty quickly, as it is a competitive course, as expected.

Best,
Cranfield TSR Rep
:cyber:

Hi Cranfield TSR Rep - please could we connect?

I have holiday work opportunities for motorsports students. We need roaming mechanics to look after motorsports equipment at our children's activity camps. From previous experience I know it's great work for staudents on Automotive Engineering type courses - travelling between sites servicing quad bikes and go karts. We employ 1,500 students and teachers during the Easter and summer holidays - childcare types, trainee teachers, PE types and so on, but always struggle finding mechanically minded students. We have venues right across London, home counties, the south East and south midlands.

I can be contacted here or by phone on 0845 123 5299 - asking for Neil.
Original post by Billy Barracudas
Hi Cranfield TSR Rep - please could we connect?

I have holiday work opportunities for motorsports students. We need roaming mechanics to look after motorsports equipment at our children's activity camps. From previous experience I know it's great work for staudents on Automotive Engineering type courses - travelling between sites servicing quad bikes and go karts. We employ 1,500 students and teachers during the Easter and summer holidays - childcare types, trainee teachers, PE types and so on, but always struggle finding mechanically minded students. We have venues right across London, home counties, the south East and south midlands.

I can be contacted here or by phone on 0845 123 5299 - asking for Neil.

Hi Billy,

If you could send me a message through the inbox facility, that would be great.
I will be waiting. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending