The Student Room Group
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website

Wtf is New College of the Humanities? Is it an Oxbridge V2?

I applied to UCAS with 5 choices a while ago. But I stumbled across New College of the Humanities and realised you can actually apply independently.

I was wondering whether this uni is academically respected and actually offer a good education? My Head of Sixth told me they have a few famous faces for show but that actually the teaching there isn’t that great and it’s a quite poorly respected institution.

I do quite like the Major/Minor structure and would probably Apply for Politics w/ Economics. I also remember reading articles a while back that this was going to be the uni that rivalled Oxbridge, is this true in any way?

Has anyone here gone to this uni, considered applying to it or even know much about it?

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It isn't 'respected' because no-one has heard of it. Its just another private college pretending its a Uni - and its here entirely to make ££ out of gullible students. At the last intake it had about 200 students.

Go there and you will spend the rest of your life explaining what it is. You'd be better off giving your ££ fees to charity.
(edited 6 years ago)
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website
This will give you the background : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_College_of_the_Humanities
Its a total waste of money - on every level.

Go to a REAL University instead.
It's at best a high-minded thought experiment of the concept of university study by some upper middle class white male academics, and at worst another predatory for-profit university which has the benefit of some hefty academic names attached to try and attract people to it.

Of course, in time it may yet prove to be a good producer of future academics, but it's far too young to be able to determine that now anyway - we won't really see the long term success or failure of their students for another 10-20 years at least. Additionally, given the cost and it's status as a for-profit organisation, most of the students are probably from fairly privileged backgrounds who would do "well" in life no matter where they studied as a direct result of their situation and connections in life.
Its degrees are validated by Southampton Solent University.

Do you really want that on your degree certificate?
It's a for-profit experiment trying to mimic US colleges which is backed by private investors.

Dont bother if you're not an upper class toff who doesnt have a job waiting after you've done your pretentious 3 yrs at a few terraced houses
Reply 6
I'm currently in my second year at NCH, studying Philosophy with English. From a personal perspective I really love studying here and teaching is really quite good. There are only 5 people in my lectures so there is a LOT of opportunity to actually talk to lecturers. On top of this I also get one 3 to 1, and one 1 to 1 tutorial per subject, per week. For these I read academic papers and write essays. A lot of my friends who have graduated have gone on to do very cool things, from working with charities, civil service, and big law firms to masters in Oxford, St Andrews, UCL, etc. In terms of the famous academics we have, it's true that they are not part of the weekly teaching, but I have had the opportunity to talk at length to Dan Dennett, Simon Blackburn, Christopher Ricks, etc. Also, our main teaching staff are brilliant - just because they are not famous it does not mean they are not good! It's true that most people don't know about NCH, and I do have to explain a lot, but I'm not studying here to get a fancy name on my CV, I'm here to learn, to make friends and to develop as a person! It is up to you what you make of NCH and whether it is a good place for you to study, but to dismiss it as an institution because it is 'unknown' or other preconceptions that you have is just a bit silly - find out more about it and make an informed decision! I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have.
Original post by borbv
I'm currently in my second year at NCH, studying Philosophy with English. From a personal perspective I really love studying here and teaching is really quite good. There are only 5 people in my lectures so there is a LOT of opportunity to actually talk to lecturers. On top of this I also get one 3 to 1, and one 1 to 1 tutorial per subject, per week. For these I read academic papers and write essays. A lot of my friends who have graduated have gone on to do very cool things, from working with charities, civil service, and big law firms to masters in Oxford, St Andrews, UCL, etc. In terms of the famous academics we have, it's true that they are not part of the weekly teaching, but I have had the opportunity to talk at length to Dan Dennett, Simon Blackburn, Christopher Ricks, etc. Also, our main teaching staff are brilliant - just because they are not famous it does not mean they are not good! It's true that most people don't know about NCH, and I do have to explain a lot, but I'm not studying here to get a fancy name on my CV, I'm here to learn, to make friends and to develop as a person! It is up to you what you make of NCH and whether it is a good place for you to study, but to dismiss it as an institution because it is 'unknown' or other preconceptions that you have is just a bit silly - find out more about it and make an informed decision! I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

oh cut the crap. It's nothing more than a jumped-up profit making institution made for children of rich parents who'll have a nice job waiting for them at the end of it.
Original post by returnmigrant
Its degrees are validated by Southampton Solent University.

Do you really want that on your degree certificate?

Friend of mine just graduated from NCH with around 85 (in arts/humanities). That alone tells you everything you need to know.

Original post by GovernmentEarner
I applied to UCAS with 5 choices a while ago. But I stumbled across New College of the Humanities and realised you can actually apply independently.

I was wondering whether this uni is academically respected and actually offer a good education? My Head of Sixth told me they have a few famous faces for show but that actually the teaching there isn’t that great and it’s a quite poorly respected institution.

I do quite like the Major/Minor structure and would probably Apply for Politics w/ Economics. I also remember reading articles a while back that this was going to be the uni that rivalled Oxbridge, is this true in any way?

Has anyone here gone to this uni, considered applying to it or even know much about it?

Thanks

It isn't that respected. The famous faces pop in once an academic year, some once a term. But it's not enough to make a university. The principal teaching is done by academics from the likes of RHUL and Hull. Some Warwicks and some low-ranked tutors from Oxford. Also most everyone is an exhibitioner, so they pay (up front, mind, as it's not covered by SLC loans) around the £9k the traditional unis are charging. That said, they do attract a particular crowd -- so if you want to rub noses with rich men's not-so-bright sons, get yourself there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pretty Flako
oh cut the crap. It's nothing more than a jumped-up profit making institution made for children of rich parents who'll have a nice job waiting for them at the end of it.

Not that different for a number of those at Oxbridge, to be honest.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Not that different for a number of those at Oxbridge, to be honest.

Ermm no. You actually have to be intelligent to get into oxbridge.
Ermm no. You actually have to be intelligent to get into oxbridge.

You were talking about exit. Not entry.

On exit, a lot of the Oxbridge lot rely on family.
You were talking about exit. Not entry.

On exit, a lot of the Oxbridge lot rely on family.

I implied entry too. NCH grads will land job that are otherwise inaccessible to them. Oxbridge students will have access to those jobs regardless of family connections, they just use whatever leverage they can.

It's also incomparable. Oxbridge is far larger whereas NCH has <200 students.
Reply 13
You are assuming a lot about me and about NCH - you don't know where I come from. NCH offers up to 100% bursaries and academic scholarships so as not to exclude people from getting a good education! I don't know why you hate NCH so much without knowing very much about it at all, but as a current student here, I think NCH is a great university and I am very happy with my decision to come and study here. I'm not here to preach for NCH, but I'm not sure why you're here to preach against it either...

Thanks

Hey so I’m studying at NCH, I definitely don’t come from a wealthy background, NCH is actually unique and for students who want to study a rigorous course. Many of our graduates have received training contracts from places such as Hogan Lovells, Clifford Chance and Slaughter and May. Many of our students that have just graduated have been accepted to do masters at Oxford and Cambridge. This alone was due to the hard work of both students and academics alike. Our university is small and of course as time passes it will become known this is just a matter of time. It’s not just a private university trying to make £££ off the students, some students are offered a scholarship and recently the fees have been reduced to £9250. I think it’s best to come visit the university yourself. I personally would be happy to show you around and answer any other questions you may have. Wishing you all the best in your future. :smile:

Well this is completely false. I’m not sure where you’re getting this information from, it would be great if you could come see the university yourself instead of tapping on your keyboard false information. The next open day will be 13th January 2018, if you want to have a first hand eexperience drop me a DM. Have a fab day :smile:
Well you’ve successfully made me not apply lol

Hi @GovernmentEarner, I sincerely hope that isn't the case.

I'm a current second year at NCH and I guess I'd just like to "fact-check" some of the claims that have been made on the thread so far.

1. Being 'respected' is obviously subjective, so I can't say whether overall the college is 'respected.' I can, however, point you towards our website which highlights some of our amazing graduate destinations, some of which may surprise you considering we've only had three graduating years so far.

2. I wouldn't say we're pretending to be a uni. When you come to our Open Day, Professor A.C. Grayling will tell you about how we are a college of colleagues learning together, by design. With that said, a lot of what we're doing here naturally shares in common a lot with universities.

3. I wish money didn't have to come into any of this, but as you may know, NCH has recently brought down its fees to £9,250 - the same as most other higher education providers. This means, between student finance and the scholarships/bursaries available, NCH is not going to let a bright student who has successfully made their way through the application process slip away on financial terms.

4. "Value for money" - We haven't been around for too long, and only have a few graduating cohorts, but even in our formative years, our teaching can still be said to be the gold standard for humanities. The most recent NSS supports this, saying we're the best institution to study many humanities subjects in London.

I really hope you haven't been put off. Hopefully, you'll get in contact with our admissions staff who can give you more info, organise a personal visit to the college or book you on an open day. It would be a real shame to lose potential students solely based on the opinions of others.
Friend of mine just graduated from NCH with around 85 (in arts/humanities). That alone tells you everything you need to know.

It isn't that respected. The famous faces pop in once an academic year, some once a term. But it's not enough to make a university. The principal teaching is done by academics from the likes of RHUL and Hull. Some Warwicks and some low-ranked tutors from Oxford. Also most everyone is an exhibitioner, so they pay (up front, mind, as it's not covered by SLC loans) around the £9k the traditional unis are charging. That said, they do attract a particular crowd -- so if you want to rub noses with rich men's not-so-bright sons, get yourself there.

85 is an exceptionally high First Class Degree is it not? In examinations that were set and marked by the University of London, not NCH.

Just to clarify that NCH students ARE eligible for tuition fee loan and maintenance loans from Student Finance England. Fees for 2018 entry are £9,250. We offer academic merit-based scholarships worth up to £2,000 and means-tested bursaries worth up to £3,085 to students who have the exceptional academic ability required but would be unable to attend the College without additional financial support.

Having looked through our website, I found one member of the faculty who had attended Hull for their undergraduate degree and another who studied at Warwick. I also found among our day to day teaching faculty nine who have studied/taught at the University of Oxford, ten from the University of Cambridge. The overwhelming majority of the remaining academics have studied/taught at LSE, UCL, Bristol, Kings College London, Manchester, York, Imperial and the Courtauld.

We'd be delighted to welcome any of you to visit the College so that you can see it for yourself, and make up your own mind.

Best regards,
Elizabeth
Original post by New College of the Humanities
85 is an exceptionally high First Class Degree is it not? In examinations that were set and marked by the University of London, not NCH.

Just to clarify that NCH students ARE eligible for tuition fee loan and maintenance loans from Student Finance England. Fees for 2018 entry are £9,250. We offer academic merit-based scholarships worth up to £2,000 and means-tested bursaries worth up to £3,085 to students who have the exceptional academic ability required but would be unable to attend the College without additional financial support.

Having looked through our website, I found one member of the faculty who had attended Hull for their undergraduate degree and another who studied at Warwick. I also found among our day to day teaching faculty nine who have studied/taught at the University of Oxford, ten from the University of Cambridge. The overwhelming majority of the remaining academics have studied/taught at LSE, UCL, Bristol, Kings College London, Manchester, York, Imperial and the Courtauld.

We'd be delighted to welcome any of you to visit the College so that you can see it for yourself, and make up your own mind.

Best regards,
Elizabeth

I dont think you get it; most normal people dont want to go to a uni with 0 reputation and brand name which seems like a cheap rip-off of american colleges whilst spending their 3 yrs with a bunch of rich kids.
Original post by New College of the Humanities

Indeed, it is an exceptional first. To be specific, it is the University of London International Programme which awarded the degrees rather than simply UoL. What is typically the case is that the host institution teaches the course, designs the course and assesses the course. Then the internal policies and a small sample of work are checked by the awarding institution, and usually ticked. Very minimal oversight. Therefore, the 85% would only have to be "exceptional" against UoL IP's students: foreign students who study abroad, and are not bright enough to attend a prestigious university in their own country.

The UoL IP information has been purged from the NCH site. Currently it is clear from the NCH site that NCH sets assessments (para 25) and marks assessments internally (para 33) according to Southampton Solent's guidelines (para 7.6). They are then moderated by EV (para 19), much like every other university.

Spoiler

That was not previously the case. There was a time when it was £18,000 (when most got an exhibition) and in recent years it was at £12,000. Whereas the tuition fee loan, which students at NCH have been eligible for since Sept 2015, was only at £6,000.

Importantly, the fees are £9,250 and the tuition fee loan available is £6,165. I find it hugely disingenuous to omit this from your description, especially as you had enough time to write down the merit-based and means-tested bursaries available.

More importantly, the maximum a student can claim is "usually £3,085", which means the most needy student would have their tuition fee paid for with £100 to spare. When you compare similar London universities, such a student would be entitled to full tuition fee paid for, a means-tested scholarship and a merit-based scholarship. A poor student would be much worse off at NCH than they would be at KCL, QMUL, RHUL, or Hull.

As I said, low-ranked tutors from Oxbridge. For law, if you exclude visiting professors who tend to do very little, this is the make-up.

Spoiler

It is terrible in comparison to even the most basic Russell Group unis. They really go just hire just labour from the mid-tier unis or incredibly young prospects from prestigious universities, and give said people impressive positions they are simply unqualified for.

My quick review here is quite heavily focussed on law, and on the face of it the other faculties seem to be a bit better. However, for non-law, specially arts, the faculty is always going to be Oxbridge-heavy. So while it might seem that Dr Votsis with a PhD from LSE is of decent calibre, you need to look further at his previous posts. A teaching fellow at Bristol; i.e. someone who leads seminars. A p/t position for a PhD in their second-year. Dr Ostrowski has BA, MPhil and DPhil from Oxford but only has previous experience as a tutor. Dr Barrell has a BA, MPhil from Cambridge and PhD from QMUL yet only has experience as a tutor. This is not to say they're poor quality, but in terms of reputation they're at the bottom of the food change, especially when you consider their rivals from RG unis.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending