The Student Room Group

How to remember chemistry reactions?!?!

Anyone doing Chemistry, surely you understand what a pain all the reactions are?!?!?!?

How do you remember them all? So like the reactants, products, reagents etc. Does anyone have any special tips on how you remember all these?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
I’m a big advocate of using Quizlet, you don’t even need to make your own sets as there are tons that are already made! Also, quizlet has so many different options of going over and learning your flash cards that something is bound to work for you!!!
Original post by zsg
Anyone doing Chemistry, surely you understand what a pain all the reactions are?!?!?!?

How do you remember them all? So like the reactants, products, reagents etc. Does anyone have any special tips on how you remember all these?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Make a reaction map and practice synthesis reaction questions.
Not an awful lot more you can do.
I tried making flash cards but it got waaayyy too complicated.
Personally my map was A3, and I had catalysts in one colour, conditions in another, mechanism type in another, reagents in another.
If you look in CGP they have a basic reaction map, I used that as a skeleton and then fitted in other reactions I found.
There are some good quizlets with reactions, but I didn't find this a particularly memorable way of learning it.
Doing the map helps you recognise patterns and see how some reactions are p similar.
Good luck 👍👍
Reply 3
Original post by thecutebee
I’m a big advocate of using Quizlet, you don’t even need to make your own sets as there are tons that are already made! Also, quizlet has so many different options of going over and learning your flash cards that something is bound to work for you!!!

thank you, I've never actually thought about using quizlet!
Reply 4
Original post by StealingThunder
Make a reaction map and practice synthesis reaction questions.
Not an awful lot more you can do.
I tried making flash cards but it got waaayyy too complicated.
Personally my map was A3, and I had catalysts in one colour, conditions in another, mechanism type in another, reagents in another.
If you look in CGP they have a basic reaction map, I used that as a skeleton and then fitted in other reactions I found.
There are some good quizlets with reactions, but I didn't find this a particularly memorable way of learning it.
Doing the map helps you recognise patterns and see how some reactions are p similar.
Good luck 👍👍

Did you have different mindmaps for different functional groups? So for example, a mind map for carbonyls and then another for alkenes etc?
Original post by zsg
Did you have different mindmaps for different functional groups? So for example, a mind map for carbonyls and then another for alkenes etc?

No I had one big one - I might have a pic of it somewhere .... I'll just see if I can find it. (I did the new AQA chemistry last year). I put all benzene reactions on one map and all the others on another.
No I had one big one - I might have a pic of it somewhere .... I'll just see if I can find it. (I did the new AQA chemistry last year). I put all benzene reactions on one map and all the others on another.

K I don't have higher res pics of it, and it's back home while I'm at uni, but this should give you the idea? Just making this and covering up bits and trying to remember them was really helpful to remember the reactions. F2BAAB4C-A2F1-4D89-AE15-8858E209BB1F.jpg.jpeg B59C7FB3-E38F-4BE0-9731-4A6D59F989C6.jpg.jpeg
Reply 7
K I don't have higher res pics of it, and it's back home while I'm at uni, but this should give you the idea? Just making this and covering up bits and trying to remember them was really helpful to remember the reactions. F2BAAB4C-A2F1-4D89-AE15-8858E209BB1F.jpg.jpeg B59C7FB3-E38F-4BE0-9731-4A6D59F989C6.jpg.jpeg

wow, they look amazing! Thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest