The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by l_vet
Would doing a Level 3 BTEC Diploma in horse management alongside my a-levels look good on a veterinary application as I don’t have much horse related experience but am really interested in getting some? Also would it count towards work experience?

What @Natasha_Faye said, but also consider how much time it would take away from studying your a levels - I have my own horses plus I work at a stables at the weekend and unfortunately (as much as I love it!) it is very time consuming and it's something I've had to be really careful with. Perhaps see if you definitely can't get pure and simple work experience with horses if you decide it's too time consuming as it is one of the things most unis would expect to see. Is the diploma a BHS stage? As you can complete those over a number of weeks I know. If not, might be worth looking at.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm pretty sure the level 3 diploma in horse management is a full-time course itself and it is a 2 year course.

Original post by luberry
What @Natasha_Faye said, but also consider how much time it would take away from studying your a levels - I have my own horses plus I work at a stables at the weekend and unfortunately (as much as I love it!) it is very time consuming and it's something I've had to be really careful with. Perhaps see if you definitely can't get pure and simple work experience with horses if you decide it's too time consuming as it is one of the things most unis would expect to see. Is the diploma a BHS stage? As you can complete those over a number of weeks I know. If not, might be worth looking at.
Does anyone know where I could find Edinburgh Numeracy interview question examples? I know they are considered general arithmetic but it would be nice to get a little practice of similarly styled questions before the actual interview. 😛
Original post by l_vet
Would doing a Level 3 BTEC Diploma in horse management alongside my a-levels look good on a veterinary application as I don’t have much horse related experience but am really interested in getting some? Also would it count towards work experience?

It isn't something I would consider necessary, in my year we all have very different work experience levels and types before applying. Some people had very little or even no equine experience, myself included in that, you can work on this during EMS.
Best to focus on getting what you need to apply and get those grades than sign yourself up to something that would take too much of your time and take focus from your Alevels.
If you really want to gain some horse experience before starting university I would aim to find a stables, or livery yard, even an equine charity, just to gain a bit of handling. You won't be expected to be a pro at all animals from day one. :smile:
Original post by Natasha_Faye
Same here

Is there any reason they sent you this? I had an interview at Liverpool last Wednesday and haven’t received this email?
Original post by l_vet

From what I know, this is a full time 2 year course and would really take away from your A Levels. I’d try to get some work experience at a yard. I started that way and now I’m a part time member of staff. Most yards are happy to get any help they can, and will teach as you go. I don’t live in the countryside at all and it was still super easy - just keep your eyes peeled and go in to places directly to ask - I’ve found emails really not worth the time as they so rarely get replied to.
If you wanted to show extra commitment, you could go for a YELA (google it) via an RDA or Pony Club.
Original post by GracieVenes
Is there any reason they sent you this? I had an interview at Liverpool last Wednesday and haven’t received this email?

I had my interview on Monday so my guess is that they’re sending it out in order of the interview dates.
Original post by nox1
Liverpool gave out all offers in one go last year. You will hear before Christmas. (current student here and was told by admissions officer)

Do you know how many will be interviewed vs places available?

I really like Liverpool but feel I messed up my interview :frown:
Original post by r33ves1986
Do you know how many will be interviewed vs places available?

I really like Liverpool but feel I messed up my interview :frown:

You're not alone, I had my interview today and messed up one of the stations big time :frown:
Original post by Natasha_Faye
I had my interview on Monday so my guess is that they’re sending it out in order of the interview dates.
I had mine on Wednesday and received the email today
Original post by smileysarah94
You're not alone, I had my interview today and messed up one of the stations big time :frown:

Messing up at one station won't affect your application too much! Stay positive :biggrin:
Original post by sos3095
Messing up at one station won't affect your application too much! Stay positive :biggrin:

Aw that's very sweet of you to say, thank you :smile: it was just incredibly frustrating. I know I can't say much about the interview itself but it was one of those things where I wish I just had more time on that station to prove myself.
Original post by smileysarah94

I guess its easily done, once the nerves kick in! We will just have to wait and see!
Original post by r33ves1986
I guess its easily done, once the nerves kick in! We will just have to wait and see!

Absolutely, especially with the time constraints. I'm sure you did your absolute best :smile:
Hi guys!! I hope everyone is still staying positive and managing all the wait!! I had my Surrey interview last Saturday and I have to say that everyone was absolutely amazing! Very friendly atmosphere so don't worry too much when you have yours! I am still waiting to hear from RVC (for the accelerated course) and Bristol :frown: anyone still waiting for the WEPAPA form or that received it last week? (just trying to stay positive here!) Good luck to everyone and in the meantime i feel like we should start yoga or meditation to deal with all this anticipation :biggrin: lol :biggrin:
Sure I probably saw a few of you on your Liverpool tours today, good luck I'm sure you did well :smile:
For the person worried about messing up a station, that is the beauty of MMI's! The interviewer doesn't know how you performed at the previous stations so their view isnt clouded. I'm sure almost all successful applicants felt they messed up atleast one part of every interview and are still here! Optimism :smile:
Anyone received an offer from Bristol recently?
Does anyone know if Google maps is reliable for time taken to travel? It's saying a maximum of 2 hours to travel for one of my interviews but should i just be cautious and leave half an hour early? The university have said that there is a lot of traffic around that area atm
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HistoryWhiz6
Does anyone know if Google maps is reliable for time taken to travel? It's saying a maximum of 2 hours to travel for one of my interviews but should i just be cautious and leave half an hour early? The university have said that there is a lot of traffic around that area atm

Er depends where you're coming from. Said it would take me 3.5 hours to get to one uni so I left with 5 hours travel time. Got there only 30 minutes early
I have a possible chance to apply for Nottingham's gateway year course as I already fill two of the criteria points and I just need one more to be able to apply. What ddo you think it means by these two points:

Family, cultural or financial reasons for needing to study in the East Midlands

Other disadvantaging circumstances (reviewed on an individual basis)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending