The Student Room Group

Gumtree through paypal?

So, it's my first time selling on gumtree.
And they said they'll transfer the money through paypal - and I'll have to send them a request.
Once it's transferred, they can't take the money back right?

Thanks!

And I will also be sending the product with a tracking number through royal mail so they can't say they haven't received the product right?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Bloom77
So, it's my first time selling on gumtree.
And they said they'll transfer the money through paypal - and I'll have to send them a request.
Once it's transferred, they can't take the money back right?

Thanks!

And I will also be sending the product with a tracking number through royal mail so they can't say they haven't received the product right?

Once you have the money, you need to log into your PayPal account and check it's actually there. There is a common scam that people send a fake email that looks like it's from PayPal saying that you have received money - but because it's a fake email, there's no money in your account. So don't rely on an email, you must check.

You must also check that the money is covered by PayPal protection. If it is, PayPal will show this. This would mean that PayPal would cover the purchase if they tried to scam you. If it isn't covered, the person can claim their card was used fraudulently, and PayPal will take the money off you.
Personally I wouldn't do it. A tracking number will show delivery but they could damage the item and claim the money back. Paypal does offer buyer protection so they can try and claim their money back - from what I've heard paypal sides with the buyer 95% of the time regardless of the facts. If you do check the money is actually in your paypal account as others have said.
postal trading isn't really encouraged due to scamming.
They can ask PayPal for a refund even with evidence like signature from royal mail.
It's not worth the risk.
Original post by RuthieG101
postal trading isn't really encouraged due to scamming.
They can ask PayPal for a refund even with evidence like signature from royal mail.
It's not worth the risk.

Then what's the point in selling anything?
The whole point of the app is selling to people who live locally, where they come and collect from your house and pay you cash.
Original post by Juno
Once you have the money, you need to log into your PayPal account and check it's actually there. There is a common scam that people send a fake email that looks like it's from PayPal saying that you have received money - but because it's a fake email, there's no money in your account. So don't rely on an email, you must check.

You must also check that the money is covered by PayPal protection. If it is, PayPal will show this. This would mean that PayPal would cover the purchase if they tried to scam you. If it isn't covered, the person can claim their card was used fraudulently, and PayPal will take the money off you.

So, do I click on create invoice?
and will it automatically be covered by paypal protection?

How do I make sure it's definitely covered by paypal protection?
Original post by Bloom77
So, do I click on create invoice?
and will it automatically be covered by paypal protection?

How do I make sure it's definitely covered by paypal protection?

paypal protection protects the buyer NOT the seller - it's there so the buyer can request the money back and claim a problem with the item... it won't protect you at all
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
paypal protection protects the buyer NOT the seller - it's there so the buyer can request the money back and claim a problem with the item... it won't protect you at all

No, it's called PayPal seller protection to protect sellers. But it doesn't apply to all transactions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending