The Student Room Group

A*A*A*A*A is my goal

I was inspired by 'somebody' who created a blog last year. Link below!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4323766

I am in year 13(last year of school) and I have my exams next may/june(2018). I am Japanese and came to England when I was 13. So my English is not perfect but I try my best.. Last year, I completed my music A level in one year (got an A overall As:a A2:A)

I have simply chosen scientific subjects for my A levels becuase of my English. This was a big mistake. The only subject that I truely love is maths. Although I do find biology and chemistry interesting tho. I don't think I was born to become a mathematician so I am not one of people who can just solve everything. I am failing chemistry at the moment. The reason behind is that I did not focus last year. I might drop it but I am not sure yet. I feel a bit uncertain about doing Japanese a level as it is my native language but I decided to do it because my friend said that it would show that you have some knowledge of the language and balances out with my poor English.

My English level:
CAE-185 (March 2016)
IELTS - 7.5~8 (November 2017) *estimation will get the result on the 8th of Dec

AIM: A*A*A*A* (A)

(A) for music

University Applications
UCAS Application Send Off Date: 14/10/17
Oxford (A BA Maths and Philosophy ) | Date: 27/11/17|Reply: Rejection
Bristol (MSc Maths and Philosophy) | Date: 06/11/17| Reply: A*A
St Andrews (MA Maths and Philosophy | Date: | Reply: Pending
Leeds (BSc Maths and Philosophy) | Date: 19/10/17 Reply: Standard Offer: AA
Sheffield (BSc Maths and Philosophy) | Date: 26/10/17| Reply: Standard offer: AB

extracurricular: Cello Gr8 Dist
Ballet Gr7 Merit
Piano Gr 6 (hoping to do gr8 in March 2018)
D of E Gold

As results (only unreformed subejcts)
Maths - a
Music - As: a
A2: A
Japanese - a

Exams Incoming this Summer:
D1 | Date: 15th June | Time: PM
C3 | Date: 19th May | Time: PM
C4 | Date: 22th June | Time: AM

Biology 1 | Date: 7th June | Time: AM
Biology 2| Date: 11th June | Time: PM
Biology 3| Date: 18th June | Time: AM

Chemistry 1 | Date: 13th June | Time: PM
Chemistry 2 | Date: 19th June | Time: AM
Chemistry 3 | Date: 27th June | Time: AM

Japanese | Date: 7th June| Time: AM

10 exams in total
What does Maths have to do with philosophy?
Reply 2
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
What does Maths have to do with philosophy?

A lot believe me. My gf's mum has a phd in philosophy and she says there are entire modules of maths in it... Also look at stuff like chaos theory, its kinda linked im told.
Original post by lafee
A lot believe me. My gf's mum has a phd in philosophy and she says there are entire modules of maths in it... Also look at stuff like chaos theory, its kinda linked im told.

I do A-Level Philosophy but it's all about morals and how we gain knowledge, the existence of God, whether we actually exist, etc. nothing to do with Maths as far as I've heard :/
Original post by momothecat
I was inspired by 'somebody' who created a blog last year. Link below!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4323766

I am in year 13(last year of school) and I have my exams next may/june(2018). I am Japanese and came to England when I was 13. So my English is not perfect but I try my best.. Last year, I completed my music A level in one year (got an A overall As:a A2:A)

I have simply chosen scientific subjects for my A levels becuase of my English. This was a big mistake. The only subject that I truely love is maths. Although I do find biology and chemistry interesting tho. I don't think I was born to become a mathematician so I am not one of people who can just solve everything. I am failing chemistry at the moment. The reason behind is that I did not focus last year. I might drop it but I am not sure yet. I feel a bit uncertain about doing Japanese a level as it is my native language but I decided to do it because my friend said that it would show that you have some knowledge of the language and balances out with my poor English.

My English level:
CAE-185 (March 2016)
IELTS - 7.5~8 (November 2017) *estimation will get the result on the 8th of Dec

AIM: A*A*A*A* (A)

(A) for music

University Applications
UCAS Application Send Off Date: 14/10/17
Oxford (A BA Maths and Philosophy ) | Date: 27/11/17|Reply: Rejection
Bristol (MSc Maths and Philosophy) | Date: 06/11/17| Reply: A*A
St Andrews (MA Maths and Philosophy | Date: | Reply: Pending
Leeds (BSc Maths and Philosophy) | Date: 19/10/17 Reply: Standard Offer: AA
Sheffield (BSc Maths and Philosophy) | Date: 26/10/17| Reply: Standard offer: AB

extracurricular: Cello Gr8 Dist
Ballet Gr7 Merit
Piano Gr 6 (hoping to do gr8 in March 2018)
D of E Gold

As results (only unreformed subejcts)
Maths - a
Music - As: a
A2: A
Japanese - a

Exams Incoming this Summer:
D1 | Date: 15th June | Time: PM
C3 | Date: 19th May | Time: PM
C4 | Date: 22th June | Time: AM

Biology 1 | Date: 7th June | Time: AM
Biology 2| Date: 11th June | Time: PM
Biology 3| Date: 18th June | Time: AM

Chemistry 1 | Date: 13th June | Time: PM
Chemistry 2 | Date: 19th June | Time: AM
Chemistry 3 | Date: 27th June | Time: AM

Japanese | Date: 7th June| Time: AM

10 exams in total

Good luck!
Reply 5
I do A-Level Philosophy but it's all about morals and how we gain knowledge, the existence of God, whether we actually exist, etc. nothing to do with Maths as far as I've heard :/

I do a level maths, further maths, and philosophy. I was advised to do this by several unis who said philosophy worked well with maths so eh.
(lol **** art A level i dropped that ultra quick)
I think at a higher level it becomes more mathsy? I mean if this is coming from someone with a phd in philosophy there must be some truth in it...

There are significant overlaps depending on which sub-area of philosophy you look at. Bertrand Russell and Kurt Godel are examples of philosophers with mathematical focuses, or mathematicians with philosophical focuses. Both the listed philosophers/mathematicians worked extensively on the notion that mathematics may or may not be wholly reducible to logic.

A level Philosophy is tiny in scope and has virtually nothing to do with degree level Philosophy

Quick Reply

Latest