The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is Leeds Uni really like this?

Hi,

I love Leeds University, it's my first choice. However, I have heard that multiple bad things about it:

- it's hard to make friends
- the students are snobbish
- the city is dangerous
- the halls of residence aren't very social/those that are social are very expensive

I would have thought that this would be no different from any other uni, and probably just from a couple of peoples' bad experiences, and not the norm. What is Leeds Uni really like - anyone got any personal experiences?

Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Han_wilson
Hi,

I love Leeds University, it's my first choice. However, I have heard that multiple bad things about it:

- the city is dangerous
- the halls of residence aren't very social/those that are social are very expensive

I would have thought that this would be no different from any other uni, and probably just from a couple of peoples' bad experiences, and not the norm. What is Leeds Uni really like - anyone got any personal experiences?

Leeds is also my first choice and I haven’t heard any of those... however I have family in Leeds and stayed there for a few weeks in the summer, I wouldn’t say it was any more dangerous than any other city. Certainly there are places you wouldn’t go at night or alone but that’s the same with any city!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I'm in the fourth year now, I've literally walked around at 1am (slightly drunk) on my own, and nothing has happened to me
There's no more crime than say Manchester or Nottingham
Some students are snobby, but most are fine
Social housing just depends on the year group, mine was quiet but the year before was apparently very rowdy
Reply 3
Original post by iElvendork
I'm in the fourth year now, I've literally walked around at 1am (slightly drunk) on my own, and nothing has happened to me
There's no more crime than say Manchester or Nottingham
Some students are snobby, but most are fine
Social housing just depends on the year group, mine was quiet but the year before was apparently very rowdy

Thank you so much, this is very insightful :smile:
Original post by Han_wilson
Hi,

- the city is dangerous

Its not hard to make friends, especially with your flatmates and even more so if you join societies. The students can be snobbish but I think this applies to every Russell group uni. I'd say it was as dangerous as any big city. Halls are vvvv social depending on which you live at, if you want social go for any of the cheaper halls. Cityside etc tend to be quiet.
I am a first year at Leeds uni and I am loving it! There are loads of opportunities to make friends, especially during freshers and in societies, where you share the same interests. There are snobbish people but that can be easy to avoid. Regarding safety, the campus itself is totally safe. There is security roaming around all the time in their vans, as well as the little huts they have. I have also walked round campus on my own late at night felt totally safe. The safety in the city really depends on where you go. Personally I feel safe in the city centre and will happily go alone; however it does feel a bit dodgey by the river and train station, however this is somewhat out the way.The socialness of your flat will totally depend on the people and whether they are the party type or not. And of course the price of the halls really depends on which one you apply for. The cheapest I believe is £85 per week which is Oxley. However, this is located in Headingly and is about a 20 min bus ride so wouldn't reccomend. Henry Price is very reasonable at £112-125 per week (depending if you have the en suite or not) and is self catered and is located on campus. (Perfect for those who like a lie in!). On the more expensive side is Cityside and Central village which are more modern buildings and are going for around £135 per week. And then the most expensive are those which are catered such as Charles Morris.
Hope this helped, and congrats for your offer x
Reply 6
Original post by Betsy_2018
Hi,

- the city is dangerous

Hello! In my 5th year living in Leeds now; graduated from and working at University of Leeds. I have no idea where you could have possibly heard that from but Leeds is a very social city with thousands of like-minded students and huge socials in pretty much all student halls. There are lots of clubs in the city centre which is where most students tend to go for nights out and to meet new people, though this depends on your own flatmates and social groups. There's still lots of opportunities to make new friends outside Fresher's Fair by joining societies and looking for free exhibitions/events on Eventbrite. And I personally don't find it snobby here at all, unless maybe you get into a scuffle between Uni of and Beckett students :tongue: Especially during Varsity, it gets a little intense!

As for being dangerous, it applies to any city really. Just make sure to not go out alone at night, especially in Hyde Park which is a notorious crime spot, take taxis on nights out, don't go through small alleyways, always lock your door before heading out, etc. Other than that, it's a very safe and friendly city to live in. I haven't had any issues for the past 4 and a half years.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun in Leeds! :smile:
Original post by JoLaw233
Hello! In my 5th year living in Leeds now; graduated from and working at University of Leeds. I have no idea where you could have possibly heard that from but Leeds is a very social city with thousands of like-minded students and huge socials in pretty much all student halls. There are lots of clubs in the city centre which is where most students tend to go for nights out and to meet new people, though this depends on your own flatmates and social groups. There's still lots of opportunities to make new friends outside Fresher's Fair by joining societies and looking for free exhibitions/events on Eventbrite. And I personally don't find it snobby here at all, unless maybe you get into a scuffle between Uni of and Beckett students :tongue: Especially during Varsity, it gets a little intense!

As for being dangerous, it applies to any city really. Just make sure to not go out alone at night, especially in Hyde Park which is a notorious crime spot, take taxis on nights out, don't go through small alleyways, always lock your door before heading out, etc. Other than that, it's a very safe and friendly city to live in. I haven't had any issues for the past 4 and a half years.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun in Leeds! :smile:

Hi! Random other thread goer with a similar issue here! Your reply literally made me breathe a sigh of relief, thank you so much for taking the time! :smile:
Reply 8
Leeds University is all hype I found on my course , it's all jam packed with awful newish buildings next to older ones. As for the security sure there are hundreds of them which makes it feel like a dysfunctional prison rather than anything else. And sure it's Russel Group so the standard applies throughout all the departments which is an impossibility. I guess it will have strengths in some areas like foreign business students who pay twice the fees. And they are always coming up with new schemes to improve the place and delivery on a daily basis. If it was a good as the hype they wouldn't need to do that. The canteen , which is very large, comes with the accommodation so it's free, the food is awful. All in all it's was worse than 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell and the way it was run reminded me of the books story.. Awful, but if 'snobbish' students like it they like it! Oh and the whole place is surrounded by a very busy city centre and dual carriages and roads where you can get run over if you're not very careful because the cars come swerving around the corner. It's over busy , over crowded and the atmosphere of the place is cold and impersonal. Unless of course you're one of the 'snobbish' students that thinks it's great because you've been drunk throughout your stay.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Krish 6
Leeds University is all hype I found on my course , it's all jam packed with awful newish buildings next to older ones. As for the security sure there are hundreds of them which makes it feel like a dysfunctional prison rather than anything else. And sure it's Russel Group so the standard applies throughout all the departments which is an impossibility. I guess it will have strengths in some areas like foreign business students who pay twice the fees. And they are always coming up with new schemes to improve the place and delivery on a daily basis. If it was a good as the hype they wouldn't need to do that. The canteen , which is very large, comes with the accommodation so it's free, the food is awful. All in all it's was worse than 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell and the way it was run reminded me of the books story.. Awful, but if 'snobbish' students like it they like it! Oh and the whole place is surrounded by a very busy city centre and dual carriages and roads where you can get run over if you're not very careful because the cars come swerving around the corner. It's over busy , over crowded and the atmosphere of the place is cold and impersonal. Unless of course you're one of the 'snobbish' students that thinks it's great because you've been drunk throughout your stay.

Who hurt u ?
What course?
Hi, I studied at Leeds for a year abroad. I really enjoyed Leeds! It depends on what you put into being there. Most of the people I met were very friendly except for the few who weren't. The city is walk-able and faculty are super knowledgeable. I found the social scene to be solid, the girls in my flat and the guys in the next building over became friends so they'd always get meals together, though if people brought other friends for a meal or night out we had fun too. Leeds is definitely into partying so depending where you're living it'll be loud but I also think a lot of people at Leeds were very academically focused so regardless you'll find people who you fit in with. Honestly, I loved Leeds more then my actual undergraduate uni. Good luck and I hope this was helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest