The Student Room Group

Should women's sports get as much media coverage as men's?

Do you believe women's sports should have as much coverage as men's? If it did, do you think women's would be more watched than it currently is?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
Do you believe women's sports should have as much coverage as men's? If it did, do you think women's would be more watched than it currently is?

I am one of these people feel women do deserve more coverage
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe male sports have a greater amount of media coverage due to the greater demand for sponsorship advertisement.
E.g. Redbull will gain a greater amount of publicity if they advertise at a male football match compared to a female one. More people watch the male sports so there's much greater potential exposure to their brand. Therefore the brand will be more willing to pay the company covering the event to broadcast the sports event.
media covers what people want to watch, what ever content generates the most views.

its not really a conspiracy
Reply 4
No... It's less entertaining. I don't want to watch women's football.
No, barely anyone is interested in watching it. Women's sport is already promoted beyond its actual interest level, due to political reasons.
Reply 6
I want to watch sport of the highest level.

It’s why I watch premier league football and won’t watch the U18 league. It’s not to with gender, more the standard.

Some USA school team beat the best female team in the world, the USA, 5-2.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html#article-4389760
Reply 7
It should... because realistically someone somewhere should like it.. but also realistically women's sport (bar athletics, swimming and usually tennis) isn't viewed that much compared to the male counterparts.. and if you were to go business minded.. the wants of a few overway the needs of the many... plus profit is what any company wants :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by SGHD26716
I want to watch sport of the highest level.

It’s why I watch premier league football and won’t watch the U18 league. It’s not to with gender, more the standard.

Some USA school team beat the best female team in the world, the USA, 5-2.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html#article-4389760

ohhh that's embarrassing! xD

have to agree though...I find male sports more interesting because it seems to be done at a higher level. :smile:
yes, i really don’t understand how the sex of a person kicking a ball around a field etc makes a difference to whether you would watch it. I also think that younger girls need to be able to see that they can succeed and do what men can to be able to have role models and aspirations. If women’s sport was on and the media payed attention to it i don’t see why the views would be that different
Original post by charlottexxt
yes, i really don’t understand how the sex of a person kicking a ball around a field etc makes a difference to whether you would watch it. I also think that younger girls need to be able to see that they can succeed and do what men can to be able to have role models and aspirations. If women’s sport was on and the media payed attention to it i don’t see why the views would be that different

They do need a role model to look up to and if the media are not covering it then who do these girls look up to, granted there was Kelly Smith from the England Ladies football team and Arsenal, and we had the likes of Kelly Holmes and Paula Radcliffe etc.

More Women's Beach Volleyball?:colondollar:

Honestly though, would be good if predominantly male based sports shown such as your typical football or rugby had their female counterparts shown on the main channels :frown:

I'm not a crazy fan of sport so I probably dont have as strong a view as others but just seems to be isolated from everything else and harder to access viewings of it therefore people just go for the easier to watch option.
Original post by Rock Fan
They do need a role model to look up to and if the media are not covering it then who do these girls look up to, granted there was Kelly Smith from the England Ladies football team and Arsenal, and we had the likes of Kelly Holmes and Paula Radcliffe etc.

My friend harvette has recently transitioned and they are really a firm hand in the centre of the park and I think they can thrust the game into the forefront of the media.
It doesnt.
Original post by Rock Fan

Yeah it is not like women have plenty or role models and women are getting constant pushes and advantages in STEM and plenty of other areas.
(edited 6 years ago)
No. Basic economics here, supply and demand. Football is mainly for entertainment. Do the maths.
From a purely footballing perspective, no. The standard just isn't as high unfortunately. I went to watch the 2017 Women's Champions League final in Cardiff and it was mind numbing, it wasn't even Conference level. If the standard was as high it should have the same coverage as the men's Premier League but it isn't unfortunately

Yes. It definitely would be more watched if it was!!
Original post by Chief Wiggum
No, barely anyone is interested in watching it. Women's sport is already promoted beyond its actual interest level, due to political reasons.

^^
Original post by charlottexxt

Women's football and other sports is played at a much lower standard, so much fewer people want to watch.

Quick Reply

Latest