The Student Room Group

Failed my eye test before I even got to take my driving test

I've been learning to drive for almost 2 years now, kept pulling my test back cause I felt I wasn't ready but I finally did it today everything was going perfectly, the lesson I had before my test went perfect, did all my manoeuvres right, all my check ups, my driving was smooth and relaxed, even the driving examiner I got today was really nice, which I was hoping for but then the test starts and I failed at the very beginning on my eye test :frown: I was devastated, the problem am have now is I've been told to get my eyes checked and wear glasses or contacts and take an eye test again, I don't know if its in the driving centre I will take the test or at the optician I go too, apparently DVLA have to send me a letter, I don't know if thats to say my license has been revoked the cause it does say on there website if you fail on the eyesight test your licence will be revoked and you'll need to reapply for a new driving licence, I really just don't know the process, does anyone know how long it could take cause I don't need it taking too long then January gets fully booked cause I need to book another test before January 21 as thats when my theory expires and I really don't want to do my theory again, I feel like this has only happened to me cause I can't see another forum about people failing there eye test and what they did to finally get the driving certificate in the end.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow that's harsh i couldnt read the number plate on the driving test i passed but the examiner didn't care.

Didn't think they ever did.
Reply 2
Original post by Yaboi
Wow that's harsh i couldnt read the number plate on the driving test i passed but the examiner didn't care.

You should have failed your test immediately.

This thread should be in Learning to Drive - tagging @AngryJellyfish to move it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom

This thread should be in Learning to Drive - tagging @AngryJellyfish to move it.

Well I passed lmao
Original post by IWMTom

Thanks am new to this so I didn't know where to post it
Original post by Yaboi

This should've been a driving test fail.

Original post by Selwyn Goodman
I've been learning to drive for almost 2 years now, kept pulling my test back cause I felt I wasn't ready but I finally did it today everything was going perfectly, the lesson I had before my test went perfect, did all my manoeuvres right, all my check ups, my driving was smooth and relaxed, even the driving examiner I got today was really nice, which I was hoping for but then the test starts and I failed at the very beginning on my eye test :frown: I was devastated, the problem am have now is I've been told to get my eyes checked and wear glasses or contacts and take an eye test again, I don't know if its in the driving centre I will take the test or at the optician I go too, apparently DVLA have to send me a letter, I don't know if thats to say my license has been revoked the cause it does say on there website if you fail on the eyesight test your licence will be revoked and you'll need to reapply for a new driving licence, I really just don't know the process, does anyone know how long it could take cause I don't need it taking too long then January gets fully booked cause I need to book another test before January 21 as thats when my theory expires and I really don't want to do my theory again, I feel like this has only happened to me cause I can't see another forum about people failing there eye test and what they did to finally get the driving certificate in the end.

I'm not sure how the re-application works; but in future, if you know your eyesight is bad, then take glasses.

Unbelievable.

I hope the examiner that passed you gets a big thumping from the DVSA. He/she is putting lives a risk by not failing candidates that fail to meet the minimum eyesight requirements!
I began to learn to drive but then stopped for the last 2 years. In recent years I finally bit the bullet and went to the opticians for an eye-test. Got some glasses and they informed me that I can now drive :biggrin: Who knew you could learn to drive via an eye test!
Original post by Blue_Cow
Unbelievable.

I hope the examiner that passed you gets a big thumping from the DVSA. He/she is putting lives a risk by not failing candidates that fail to meet the minimum eyesight requirements!

Your mistaking me haha I didn't pass mate
Original post by CTLevers
I began to learn to drive but then stopped for the last 2 years. In recent years I finally bit the bullet and went to the opticians for an eye-test. Got some glasses and they informed me that I can now drive :biggrin: Who knew you could learn to drive via an eye test!

good stuff fella! I've booked my eye test just can't wait to get this test over and done with
Original post by RoyalSheepy
This should've been a driving test fail.

I'm not sure how the re-application works; but in future, if you know your eyesight is bad, then take glasses.

Yeah I've definitely learnt my lesson
good stuff fella! I've booked my eye test just can't wait to get this test over and done with

Same, but I actually need to learn to drive as well as take the test... I'm planning to do an intensive course during the summer (currently in 2nd year of uni)
Original post by CTLevers
Same, but I actually need to learn to drive as well as take the test... I'm planning to do an intensive course during the summer (currently in 2nd year of uni)

If you have the money id say do that, I did 1 hour lessons a week, at one point I was considering doing the intensive course but I heard too many ppl fail from it so I just booked my lessons once a week, but everyones different ay
On the upside, you now know you need glasses - and there are much, much worse ways of finding out the hard way. As always insert disclaimer here about how I don't work for the DVLA and I am not a lawyer; but from my knowledge - they are not going to revoke your license because you failed the eyesight test on the exam; but your instructor should not be teaching you at all now until you get your specs. If he does; I'm fairly sure he'll be breaking the law (or at least invalidating his insurance), as will you be.
Original post by Yaboi

Remind me not to drive anywhere near Barnet.
I've been learning 2 years too, and exactly the same happened to me today. Even though my optician says my eyesight is fine. Can you let me know what happened in the end?
Reply 16
Same thing , can’t see the number plate
Reply 17
Did you faild your driving test because you couldn’t read the nr plate ? Having my test soon and I’m afraid of this:frown:(
Reply 18
Anyone behind a wheel should be able to read a numberplate from 20 meters away, it is remarkably close and they are very clear. If you're worried you can't read it then maybe just consider getting glasses
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Antimatter158
Can someone help me out a bit , my theory is expiring in about 2 months , I believe my ready to take a test , it’s almost impossible to find a test at the centre goodmayes , I’ve used many cancellation services but they don’t seem to be finding any

So are thousands of others. Expect to redo your theory.

Latest

Trending

Trending