The Student Room Group

Turned 17 and never been in a relationship

Hi so I’ve recently turned 17 and I’ve never dated anyone. I have had people ask me out a couple of times but I didn’t really like those people. Most of my friends have boyfriends and I don’t can have any proper guy friends, and I don’t speak to any guys on a regular basis. I’m ready to have a serious relationship but I just don’t know how to meet anyone or whatever. Any advice? Idk:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm 18 story of my life.
Original post by Anonymous
I have had people ask me out a couple of times but I didn’t really like those people

Why did you not like them >V>??
Don't panic and rush into a relationship just for the sake of it and because you think all of your friends have. If you want a serious relationship and a valuable one, don't just go out with the first person you see.

Go out to public libraries or bookstores, you can usually meet some people there. Also, if you have a hobby go to a club. It's a win win, you get to enjoy your hobby and if you meet a partner there, you both get to enjoy the same hobby.

Good luck x

Hi so I’ve recently turned 17 and I’ve never dated anyone. I have had people ask me out a couple of times but I didn’t really like those people. Most of my friends have boyfriends and I don’t can have any proper guy friends, and I don’t speak to any guys on a regular basis. I’m ready to have a serious relationship but I just don’t know how to meet anyone or whatever. Any advice? Idk:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JDieMstr
Why did you not like them >V>??

Mostly because they were people who I’ve never talked to or maybe hardly ever, and they just asked me out because they thought I was “hot” or something-_- how can find an actual relationship?
Turned 18 and never been in a relationship. Dude, don't rush it. If you actively want an SO for reasons other than 'my friends all have boyfriends,' then sure, go for it. But being single is fine.
I’m almost 18 and never been with anyone. I think it’s quite normal. If you haven’t found anyone you really like, there’s no point in trying to force it. Only advice I can really say is, make sure you don’t force yourself into a relationship just because your friends are in one. Take your time 😊
No point in panicking. You’re only 17! You have years ahead of you in order to find a relationship.
Reply 8
Original post by whatashame3
Don't panic and rush into a relationship just for the sake of it and because you think all of your friends have. If you want a serious relationship and a valuable one, don't just go out with the first person you see.

Go out to public libraries or bookstores, you can usually meet some people there. Also, if you have a hobby go to a club. It's a win win, you get to enjoy your hobby and if you meet a partner there, you both get to enjoy the same hobby.

Good luck x

Thanks for your reply and advice- do people still go to libraries and stuff? Why is everything online now?!:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by ambershell27
Turned 18 and never been in a relationship. Dude, don't rush it. If you actively want an SO for reasons other than 'my friends all have boyfriends,' then sure, go for it. But being single is fine.

Thanks for your reply but if I do want a relationship how do I even find the person?
Mostly because they were people who I’ve never talked to or maybe hardly ever, and they just asked me out because they thought I was “hot” or something-_- how can find an actual relationship?

"they were people who I've never talked to"...basically, you've answered your own question. Get into situations where it is convenient for both guys and you to talk and learn about each other. This way, you can filter out the ones you are not interested in (personality-wise).
It's totally normal to not have been in a relationship by 17. It sounds like you have have standards and don't want something casual but at 17 it can be hard to find people in the same boat, plus have a mutual interest thing going on. Are you in high school or uni? Cuz going to uni will allow you to meet tons of people. Either way, try joining some kind of club, that will give you the opportunity to meet new people and you'll already have at least one common interest.
Haha, I guess I'm a bit old fashioned.

A lot of people meet partners online, but that's never been something for me. I just don't really like the idea I guess.

However, in university people definitely still go to libraries! Also, in my city the main library is always really busy, a lot of young people go there. Maybe try the hobby route though if your library isn't as popular...

Thanks for your reply and advice- do people still go to libraries and stuff? Why is everything online now?!:biggrin:
Original post by RachelPantrey
I’m almost 18 and never been with anyone. I think it’s quite normal. If you haven’t found anyone you really like, there’s no point in trying to force it. Only advice I can really say is, make sure you don’t force yourself into a relationship just because your friends are in one. Take your time 😊

Thanks for your reply :smile:
It's totally normal to not have been in a relationship by 17. It sounds like you have have standards and don't want something casual but at 17 it can be hard to find people in the same boat, plus have a mutual interest thing going on. Are you in high school or uni? Cuz going to uni will allow you to meet tons of people. Either way, try joining some kind of club, that will give you the opportunity to meet new people and you'll already have at least one common interest.

Thanks for your reply- I’m in high school which kind of sucks because everyone is in their own groups and all my friends are girls but I will try and meet new people:smile:
You're in school, right? Is there anyone you like? If there is, have the guts to ask them out. If not, I wouldn't really know. I can't recommend online dating because you'd probably get a lot of unwanted attention.
Reply 16
Tinder?
I'm approaching 20 and I've barely even talked to women.
You're only 17!

You have plenty of time to be in a relationship, relax.

Be happy and enjoy life.

Once you're 18 you could try online dating, going to speed dating events, joining clubs based on interests, through education, through your network, going to events or going out more.

Good luck :smile:

You are only 17 don't worry, you are so young, just live life and you will probably find someone when you least expect it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending