The Student Room Group

Rejected by four vet med universities - advice

Been rejected by four vet med universities and I really don't know what to do, but I have an offer for BioVet.

Can I appeal any of the rejections or are they set in stone and I have to wait till next year?

Scroll to see replies

I'm so sorry to hear this news :frown: I am not sure if you can appeal but I suspect not. My advice (presuming you still want to do vet med) would be to work really hard to get the required grades, take a gap year to get some more work experience, and re-apply next year.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Original post by VictiniCup
Been rejected by four vet med universities and I really don't know what to do, but I have an offer for BioVet.

Can I appeal any of the rejections or are they set in stone and I have to wait till next year?
Reply 2
Have the fed back why they’ve rejected you?
Reply 3
Original post by LRxS
Have the fed back why they’ve rejected you?

Yeah, they have. 2 were due to a questionnaire and 2 were on academic grades.
What are your grades?
I would say resit your exams and reapply.
Avoid the graduate route if you can
Reply 5
Yeah, they have. 2 were due to a questionnaire and 2 were on academic grades.

That’s a shame - the questionnaire especially seems ridiculous! - but I’d agree with @animalmagic - work to get AAA or higher this year, and take a gap year to get more work ex, then reapply.
you have 2 options. Either do biovet and then vet after that. Or try and get higher grades by taking a year off and retaking then reapplying for vet.
Reply 7
Original post by LRxS
That’s a shame - the questionnaire especially seems ridiculous! - but I’d agree with @animalmagic - work to get AAA or higher this year, and take a gap year to get more work ex, then reapply.

Nottingham or Surrey questionnaire?
Reply 8
Original post by Nessie162
What are your grades?
I would say resit your exams and reapply.
Avoid the graduate route if you can

Sitting my exams this year, so no actual grades. Predicted ABB
Ahh, don't worry then. Try to smash your exams and reapply.
I decided to go the graduate route as I had no other option, and I regret it so much. Such a waste of time (and now money too, if I get an offer). Wouldn't recommend it to anyone
if you still want to be a vet, your best option is probably to work hard this year and apply again next year with your actual results

questionnaires might be a bit more difficult to improve on but you definitely can
like taking a gap year and filling it with work experience will give you more stuff to talk about when answering the questions
I knew the rejections were coming but I had some form of blind option about them and it's kinda hard seeing my friends all get offers for non competitive offers. All my tutors are like just buckle down and smash your exams but how can I when I know they were partially to blame?
1) Their decisions are very final. There is no appeals process - you can ask for feedback but you will probably not get that before March/April the earliest.
2) If you really want to do Vet then dont do the other degree.
3) Work your butt off and get the best possible A level grades you can.
4) Plan work experience and/or paid work to get as much experience as you can,
5) Reapply next September.
Why was it a waste of time? Which degree did you do?
Original post by Nessie162
Ahh, don't worry then. Try to smash your exams and reapply.
I decided to go the graduate route as I had no other option, and I regret it so much. Such a waste of time (and now money too, if I get an offer). Wouldn't recommend it to anyone

What degree did you do that made it a waste of time?
Also you could also try universities not in the UK? I'm applying for Budapest which is an amazing university - you could look at this?
Look abroad?
Original post by BlueBro97
Look abroad?

yup
Original post by caly.lucia
What degree did you do that made it a waste of time?

Biochemistry
And while the degree itself is really good (and not a waste of time if you want to work in the field), I'm not really going to use it for anything

Unfortunately these are final decisions, under what grounds would you appeal anyway? If there were any circumstances that you feel were relevant/put you at a disadvantage then ideally these should have been declared to universities at the time of applying.

Unfortunately for the ones that rejected you based on grades, that was always going to happen. The entry requirements are exactly that, requirements, not a suggestion. They get enough applicants to not need to be lenient on this, and it's an easy way for them to cut down the applicant pool very quickly. It is unfortunate that your school still encouraged you to apply despite not giving you the necessary predicted grades.

As others have said, ace your exams this year to get those As, have an awesome gap year and reapply next year. A lot of vet applicants get in second, third or even fourth time so you certainly couldn't be alone :smile: Best of luck for next time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending