The Student Room Group

Second degree funding

Hi,

Tried contacting student finance England but the guy had no idea about second degrees being funded... 😣

Can somebody tell me if I already have an existing healthcare degree (nursing) can I get student finance to cover both maintenance and tuition fees if I apply for another healthcare degree (medicine)

Thanks!

*you already have a degree and you’re starting a healthcare course (except for dental hygiene or dental therapy) on or after 1 August 2017*

Original post by Oasisx
Hi,

Tried contacting student finance England but the guy had no idea about second degrees being funded... 😣

Can somebody tell me if I already have an existing healthcare degree (nursing) can I get student finance to cover both maintenance and tuition fees if I apply for another healthcare degree (medicine)

Thanks!

*you already have a degree and you’re starting a healthcare course (except for dental hygiene or dental therapy) on or after 1 August 2017*

Hi Oasisx,

The type of funding you may be entitled to depends on what kind of course you're going to be doing.

If you're interested in a medicine course will it be Undergraduate Entry or Graduate Entry?

(Which may seem like a silly question as you've stated you already hold a degree but not everyone with a degree goes down the Graduate Entry route.)

Thanks,

Stuart
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Oasisx,

The type of funding you may be entitled to depends on what kind of course you're going to be doing.

If you're interested in a medicine course will it be Undergraduate Entry or Graduate Entry?

(Which may seem like a silly question as you've stated you already hold a degree but not everyone with a degree goes down the Graduate Entry route.)

Thanks,

Stuart

I would be applying for both most probably. But I am aware of the graduate medicine funding so would like more information if I went down the 5 year route
Original post by Oasisx
I would be applying for both most probably. But I am aware of the graduate medicine funding so would like more information if I went down the 5 year route

Hi Oasisx,

Subject to previous study, Undergraduate Entry medicine courses students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study (Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Support such as Means Tested Maintenance Loan (ML), supplementary grants and Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) if applicable).

In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from Student Finance England.

Due to your previous study (you hold an equivalent level qualification) you would only be eligible for the ML, supplementary grants and DSA for the first 4 years of the course.

Regards,

Stuart
Dear Stuart,

I'm in the same situation. After having completed a 4 year degree (with full student finance) and entering a 5 year undergraduate medical course, would I be eligible for a maintenance grant? or only a ML? and if I'm only eligible for a ML, what is the maximum ML available (parents income is in the lowest bracket) for an EU student living at home? and away from home?

Kind regards,
Sophie
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sophdepoph
Dear Stuart,

I'm in the same situation. After having completed a 4 year degree (with full student finance) and entering a 5 year undergraduate medical course, would I be eligible for a maintenance grant? or only a ML? and if I'm only eligible for a ML, what is the maximum ML available (parents income is in the lowest bracket) for an EU student living at home? and away from home?

Kind regards,
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

It would be the same entitlement as Oasisx. The maintenance grant is no longer available to new students.

If you're eligible for funding as a home student you would be entitled to the Means Tested Maintenance Loan, supplementary grants and Disabled Students Allowance if applicable.

You would be able to see what funding you may be entitled to by using the Student Finance Calculator as a guide. When the Academic Year 2018/19 funding details are released the calculator will be updated.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending