The Student Room Group

studying Korean at university

so ive applied to study korean/related courses at university with the following options

uclan - asia pacific studies w/korean
soas - korean
sheffield - korean studies

but i really cant decide where i want to go. i live in birmingham so distance doesnt matter to me but other factors are really distorting my ability to decide on my firm and insurance but these are my main points

uclan- cheap, nice accomodation, pays for year abroad flights, nice staff, course is broad
sheffield- better town than uclan, better course than uclan, better uni for year abroad, doesnt pay for flights, accomodation is basic and more expensive than uclan
soas- living costs (accomodation, food etc), doesnt pay for flights, best course out of the three with more language focus

i really dont know what to do, i wish i could combine the soas course, the sheffield location and the uclan prices but obviously i cant.

anyone else doing similar course and cant make a decision? what are you favouring so far?
I would probably pick the course that is more interesting and that I would get more out of. Whilst there are some problems with all of the universities, you ultimately have to decide what matters the most.
Original post by cheesecakelove
I would probably pick the course that is more interesting and that I would get more out of. Whilst there are some problems with all of the universities, you ultimately have to decide what matters the most.

when it comes to the course, i really want to go to soas but i dont know if im going to be able to afford to live in london with the price of accomodation and food etc, thats the only thing thats actually stopping me
Will you be getting a maintenance loan, or do you have savings/part time work for extra funds? Although the general costs of living may be higher in London, if you budget well, don't spend too extravagantly, and take care of your finances, you should be able to manage.
Original post by cheesecakelove
Will you be getting a maintenance loan, or do you have savings/part time work for extra funds? Although the general costs of living may be higher in London, if you budget well, don't spend too extravagantly, and take care of your finances, you should be able to manage.

i will have my maintenance loan but im not sure how high its going to be because after overtime my step dad earns a lot of money which would leave me with next to nothing for a maintenance loan and they arent that willing to support me. i do also have some life savings for emergency funds. im just worried about essentially crashing out of money while im there...
Original post by jmfllws0010
when it comes to the course, i really want to go to soas but i dont know if im going to be able to afford to live in london with the price of accomodation and food etc, thats the only thing thats actually stopping me

It is possible to live (fairly) cheaply in London. Food isn't expensive at all if you shop smart. Accommodation costs more, but there's only around £25 a week difference between the average UCLan weekly rent and the cheapest SOAS rent. If you prefer SOAS' course then I think you should go there.
Original post by Snufkin
It is possible to live (fairly) cheaply in London. Food isn't expensive at all if you shop smart. Accommodation costs more, but there's only around £25 a week difference between the average UCLan weekly rent and the cheapest SOAS rent. If you prefer SOAS' course then I think you should go there.

i need to work out my maintenance loan and analyse costs of each university, if london is actually a possibility then i really want to go there
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure that the cost of the area you'll be living in is considered with the amount you are given with the student loan. Don't think too much about money, obviously its really important but the quality of your course and what your going to get out of it is more important. Just make sure to think smartly about how you spend, there will be loads of other students who have or are, going to London and don't have the best financial situation for it. Don't worry about it student life is all about saving wherever you go. Just don't overly spend and make sure you do research on how to live cheaply in London there will be loads of stuff out there.
Original post by Amyyy123
I'm pretty sure that the cost of the area you'll be living in is considered with the amount you are given with the student loan. Don't think too much about money, obviously its really important but the quality of your course and what your going to get out of it is more important. Just make sure to think smartly about how you spend, there will be loads of other students who have or are, going to London and don't have the best financial situation for it. Don't worry about it student life is all about saving wherever you go. Just don't overly spend and make sure you do research on how to live cheaply in London there will be loads of stuff out there.

thank you :smile:
Hi I'm having the same problem atm I don't know if anyone is active. But I can't put my house hold income on my financial info for maintenance loan I'm pretty sure I'll only be getting 4,000 for a whole year which I do not see being enough to live in London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending