The Student Room Group

Russia election: Putin to run again for president

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42256140

Russia's Vladimir Putin has said he will seek another term as president in next year's election.

He made the announcement in a speech to workers at a car factory in the Volga city of Nizhny Novgorod. "I will put forward my candidacy for the post of president of the Russian federation," he said.

Mr Putin has been in power since 2000, either as president or prime minister. If he wins the March election he will be eligible to serve until 2024. Russian TV journalist Ksenia Sobchak has already said she will stand in the election but opinion polls suggest Mr Putin will win easily.

Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, has been formally barred from standing because he was found guilty of embezzlement - a charge he claims was politically motivated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ninja Squirrel

Russia's Vladimir Putin has said he will seek another term as president in next year's election.

He made the announcement in a speech to workers at a car factory in the Volga city of Nizhny Novgorod. "I will put forward my candidacy for the post of president of the Russian federation," he said.

Mr Putin has been in power since 2000, either as president or prime minister. If he wins the March election he will be eligible to serve until 2024. Russian TV journalist Ksenia Sobchak has already said she will stand in the election but opinion polls suggest Mr Putin will win easily.

Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, has been formally barred from standing because he was found guilty of embezzlement - a charge he claims was politically motivated.

Lol, he's gonna be there till he dies most likely :biggrin:

But seriously, there is likely to be little shift in power untill he becomes physically unable to sit infront of a desk or something. Everyone in Russia becomes indoctrinated about his 'party' ,so much that opposition to him is genuinely unlikely to gain enough support or even recognition.

(Btw, this is not to say he is a bad leader or anything of the sort, it's simply stating that the way that his 'party' runs the country, he will bend the rules to become the leader every time an election takes place. Technically he should've been gone some years ago... )
Reply 2
There probably wouldn't be any other candidates alive by the time the voting is casted :lol:

I don't see any credible alternative to Putin running Russia. Putin has managed to bridge the gap between the two factions in the Russian elite, i.e. the security services and liberal marketeers. No western style liberal democrat commands enough support amongst those factions or the population as a whole to be considered for the presidency, Putin's most supported opponents tend to be far-right nutters like Mr Navalny whose comments about ethnic non Russians have been less than flattering. We've seen what regime change does to other countries, best avoid it in one of the world's most foremost thermonuclear superpowers.
Putin is an intelligent, perfectly rational and predictable politican (if you look at his actions from perpesctive of Russia's insterests).
As long as he rules Russia, I'm sure there is no serious danger of further wars. They maybe, just maybe to take Belarus by a sort of power strike rather than military action, take a bit more of Ukrain to connect with Transsinitria, but that's about that.
Reply 5
Original post by PTMalewski
Putin is an intelligent, perfectly rational and predictable politican (if you look at his actions from perpesctive of Russia's insterests).
As long as he rules Russia, I'm sure there is no serious danger of further wars. They maybe, just maybe to take Belarus by a sort of power strike rather than military action, take a bit more of Ukrain to connect with Transsinitria, but that's about that.

It's worth pointing out its more than slightly unlikely Russia would ever want to, let alone actually, make any kind of grab for Belarus. Reclaiming Crimea has, is and will cost it a fortune to bring it up to par with the rest of Russia, Belrus would cost it infinitely more and as there is little political capital for such a task it is unlikely to occur in the near future, bar a seismic shift in either country.
As for Transsnistria, I always took it as being regarded as an unsightly blot on Russia's flank, they don't have any particular love nor need for the place but it served a purpose in turning it into a bog as the time. And owing to political realities its somewhat impossible to do anything with it now, not to mention wasteful.
Reply 6
Personally I rather like Putin, I mean in terms of democracy and rights and all the jazz he's an odious person but in terms of pulling Russia out of the gutter and elevating her to once again being a great bordering super power he has been splendid.
When he came in Russia was little more than a series of fiefdoms engaged in open conflict with each other and openly being pillaged by the oligarchs for their own ends, not even a greater purpose. Now though the vice grip of them has been smashed, utterly, some are still around and there are still some with fabulous wealth but the days of their stranglehold on politics are more or less gone.
Not to mention Russia has gone from being at best an after thought of western powers to being the lynch pin of many decisions from Europe to Asia to America. To be frank he is due props.
And as an after thought; he has led the global war on terror at least as much as America and other western countries, if not more. We should be thanking him.
Reply 7
Russia is not democratic this proves it. But then again neither is China, communism serves them well. Russia is more or less the same but with a show of elections.

Russia under Putin is successful, it has it's human rights etc issues but which country is perfect.

Russians like & accept him or they'd be millions out protesting so it's their choice. Look at USA, they've got democracy and free elections and look at what they've ****ing elected! So democracy isn't for all... :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY
Russia is not democratic this proves it. But then again neither is China, communism serves them well. Russia is more or less the same but with a show of elections.

Russia under Putin is successful, it has it's human rights etc issues but which country is perfect.

Russians like & accept him or they'd be millions out protesting so it's their choice. Look at USA, they've got democracy and free elections and look at what they've ****ing elected! So democracy isn't for all... :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, this is where the democratic election process can really bite us in the ass. I'd take Putin and Jinping as my President over Trump any day.
Reply 9

If you haven't read it I can recommend this:
All the Kremlin's Men: Inside the Court of Vladimir Putin
Original post by Doonesbury
If you haven't read it I can recommend this:
All the Kremlin's Men: Inside the Court of Vladimir Putin

I've not, maybe I'll pick it up. Putin certainly is a very interesting man.
Reply 11

The book is obviously coming at it from a specific viewpoint but one of its key points is none of this was planned to anything like the extent it appears from the outside.
Reply 12

The book is obviously coming at it from a specific viewpoint but one of its key points is none of this was planned to anything like the extent it appears from the outside.

It's an excellent book, i reccomend it! Although I found Putin's Russia by Mikhail Dmitriev and Should we fear russia by Dmitri Trenin to be a touch better.
Reply 13
Original post by Napp
It's an excellent book, i reccomend it! Although I found Putin's Russia by Mikhail Dmitriev and Should we fear russia by Dmitri Trenin to be a touch better.

Oooh... and the first one is free and now downloaded :smile:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Putins-Russia-Rose-Maintained-Might-ebook/dp/B00XM0WP6W/

Спасибо!
Original post by Napp

Maybe I'll pick up both, I'm not much of a reader but I think this one could be interesting. I've watched a few documentaries about Putin's rise to power and found them thoroughly enjoyable so I'll probably enjoy that book :smile:
Reply 15
Oooh... and the first one is free and now downloaded :smile:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Putins-Russia-Rose-Maintained-Might-ebook/dp/B00XM0WP6W/

Спасибо!

Got to love Amazon Kindle :tongue:
I have quite a large library on Russian politics books now though if you want any other ideas :smile:
Пожалуйста ))

Maybe I'll pick up both, I'm not much of a reader but I think this one could be interesting. I've watched a few documentaries about Putin's rise to power and found them thoroughly enjoyable so I'll probably enjoy that book :smile:

Aye, i'd give them a read if you have the time, all 3 of them are very readable and tend to be written in a less dry manner than similar works )
Reply 16
Original post by Napp
Got to love Amazon Kindle :tongue:
Пожалуйста ))

And Google Translate :biggrin:
Reply 17
And Google Translate :biggrin:

I have the excuse of not having a Russian keyboard anymore so it's the only practical way :P
Original post by SMEGGGY
Russia is not democratic this proves it. But then again neither is China,

China actually has less in common with communism than any European country.
Russian Politician:

British Politicians:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending