The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amelinedamy
Mind me asking but what's an online interview?

I’m an international student so instead of doing an interview there, they’ve chosen to do an interview through skype
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by stiamh
Mines the 14th too! :smile: See you there!

Yes how exciting!!
Original post by willdab
I’m in an international student so instead of doing an interview there, they’ve chosen to do an interview through skype

Oh nice! Where from? :smile: (I'm french by the way so international but not quite :wink: )
Reply 2363
Glasgow just declined me trough UCAS... 😔
(edited 6 years ago)
Just got a notts interview for the 28th feb!! Anyone else got that date? I’m ecstatic!!

Had my Liverpool interview today as well so been a pretty stressful day. Found the MMIS pretty difficult, definitely messed up a bit on a station, but talking with people after I think quite a few found it a tough interview. Guess we will just have to wait and see! Happy about notts though, even though Liverpool would probably be my first choice they interview so many so not getting my hopes up! Well done to everyone hearing from notts today, and so sorry to everyone who had rejections x
Original post by amelinedamy
Oh nice! Where from? :smile: (I'm french by the way so international but not quite :wink: )

Im actually from Canada
Got an interview at Nottingham for 24th of January too earlier today!😊 Good luck everyone x
Who else has a Notts interview on the 7th of Feb? Congrats to everyone with interviews!!
Being rejected from all four unis is a nightmare.
Original post by VictiniCup

What happened??
Original post by annaxoxo
What happened??

Got rejected from all four unis and asked my college for advice. They were talking about taking degrees I do not want to do and course transfers, which is impossible for vet med. Its annoying as no one I listening to.me, I can't do anything and my teachers are trying to support me but they let me down in the first place.
Got rejected from all four unis and asked my college for advice. They were talking about taking degrees I do not want to do and course transfers, which is impossible for vet med. Its annoying as no one I listening to.me, I can't do anything and my teachers are trying to support me but they let me down in the first place.

From what I have observed in such cases, applicants either switch to other, related courses (which you said you don't want to do), take a gap year or study outside the UK. Have you considered these? When there's passion there's will. An obstacle, as heart-breaking and immobilizing as this is, won't stop your way towards VetMed just because you love it so much. So now you have the reality, and you need to come up with a plan. I know you're heartbroken but in 10 years you will be looking back at this experience and smile as it will guide you on a path that's meant to be for you. In my language we have a phrase that goes a little like every obstacle can only be good. I'm here to help with anything you need. Good luck, I believe in you.
Original post by annaxoxo
From what I have observed in such cases, applicants either switch to other, related courses (which you said you don't want to do), take a gap year or study outside the UK. Have you considered these? When there's passion there's will. An obstacle, as heart-breaking and immobilizing as this is, won't stop your way towards VetMed just because you love it so much. So now you have the reality, and you need to come up with a plan. I know you're heartbroken but in 10 years you will be looking back at this experience and smile as it will guide you on a path that's meant to be for you. In my language we have a phrase that goes a little like every obstacle can only be good. I'm here to help with anything you need. Good luck, I believe in you.

Hoping I can pull myself together with my a levels and smash the AAA requirements. Then I can laugh in my colleges face that I didn't predict me AAA.

I know you must be desperately disappointed but the best thing you can do now is just try to put this behind you for now and concentrate on getting your grades in the summer and reapply. Best of luck 😊

If you smash your A Levels, you could apply to some Australia unis with your actual grade for their Feb 2019 intake- theres tons of them that have AVMA accreditation, it's definitely an option!

It's what I'm going to do if none of my interviews work out D:

Stay positive in the meantime. You should buckle down and ace your A levels, I'm sure with your willpower and determination you'll knock them out of the park. There's always options out there, please don't let rejections stop you from your path. Your sheer persistence is probably one of the greatest indicators that you would make an amazing vet :smile:
Original post by libby.eaton
Who else has a Notts interview on the 7th of Feb? Congrats to everyone with interviews!!

I do 😊

Why did they reject?? Good luck with your A levels, make you to rub it in your schools face when you get the grades 😘
Original post by Nessie162
Just got an email from surrey inviting me to take part in a christmas quiz... For a second I thought it was an interview invite haha so sad

Same, I've been rejected from the accelerated course and I'm on track for a 1st, which doesn't make any sense. Got an interview for the 5 year course but I don't really understand the way they're assessing the applications...

You've got to realise that say 600 apply for accelerated and they only send 300 interviews, even if all 600 applicants tick all the boxes - they will still have to turn eligible people away. It's a shame but they have to narrow it down somehow and it could be the slightest thing in someone's PS that makes them choose them. And then they only have 90 places, so unfortunately they do have to reject even the most suitable applicants :frown:
Original post by sos3095
You've got to realise that say 600 apply for accelerated and they only send 300 interviews, even if all 600 applicants tick all the boxes - they will still have to turn eligible people away. It's a shame but they have to narrow it down somehow and it could be the slightest thing in someone's PS that makes them choose them. And then they only have 90 places, so unfortunately they do have to reject even the most suitable applicants :frown:

Well said!
The problem with vet med is that it is so competitive.
Even if you have the right grades, work experience and personal statement, you are not guaranteed a spot...
It's all very frustrating...
All we can do is hope for the best....
All we need is an offer from one uni...
Sit tight guys, and good luck to everyone
Original post by Anderson2727
I do 😊

Congrats! See you there 😊

Quick Reply

Latest