The Student Room Group

Chancellor suggests disabled workers are suppressing economic productivity

The UK productivity fell by 0.1% earlier this year. When asked why, the Chancellor said this...

"very high levels of engagement in the workforce, for example of disabled people something we should be extremely proud of may have had an impact on overall productivity measurements.”

~ Philip Hammond at Wednesday's Treasury Select Committee

sources

As a disabled person myself I find this pretty low even by this government's standard of blaming other people for the poor state of the economy.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Wow that sounds like what a villain would say before a damn culling. Imagine only seeing your population as 'valid' people if they're able to work. Lets blame all the old people and children we can no longer force to work too, while we're at it.

Just the sorta rhetoric that is forcing disabled people who aren't 'fit to work' to be judged as such.
I take your point, but does it actually mean anything? Taking the disabled workers bit out, he said "very high levels of engagement in the workforce, may have had an impact on overall productivity measurements." He may as well have said, "Eating chocolate digestives and an increase in the number of weddings together with a prevailing wind from the west have seen falls in productivity of 0.1%".

It is all complete and utter gibberish to me and he is clearly clutching at straws with his use of the word "may". Something I know nothing about may have had an impact on something which is bad.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm unclear where disadvantaged people are being implied as bad.
Reply 4
Hardly surprising given the reactionary nature of the government and its rather cute blame culture.
Original post by SWCoffee
I'm unclear where disadvantaged people are being implied as bad.
He's saying that due to more disabled people working, the economy is suffering, since disabled people are less productive than able-bodied. Despite the government "reforming" the welfare system to exclude more disabled people, with the aim of increasing disability employment.:colonhash:
Original post by ByEeek
he is clearly clutching at straws with his use of the word "may".
Exhibit A:
Reply 7
Agree with him.
I mean, I got that.

But this is empty political rhetoric. The Chancellor gave one example.

In my work this is the kind of crap we say to buy time until we can figure out the actual problem.
He's spot on. Stop being all PC, lefties, he is merely stating a logical fact - the disabled are obviously limited in some way, it's in the name, for goodness sake.
Original post by Dan Deplorable
the disabled are obviously limited in some way.
I don't feel limited. Sure, there's a couple of jobs I am excluded from doing, but beyond that I live like everybody else.
Reply 11
Lovely. I hate the government.

“People on benefits are filthy scroungers” *disabled person gets a job despite potentially significant added difficulty instead of claiming benefits* “disabled people are ruining the economy”

Jesus.
Original post by LRxS
Lovely. I hate the government.

“People on benefits are filthy scroungers” *disabled person gets a job despite potentially significant added difficulty instead of claiming benefits* “disabled people are ruining the economy”

Jesus.

Where did he say disabled people are ruining the economy?
Reply 13
Original post by Dan Deplorable
He's spot on. Stop being all PC, lefties, he is merely stating a logical fact - the disabled are obviously limited in some way, it's in the name, for goodness sake.

Jeez, how many disabled people do you know?

Yes, a guy in a wheelchair OBVIOUSLY isn’t going to be a ****ing scaffolder, but why on earth would that make him incapable of other jobs??

Reasonable adjustments for people with more complex disabilities (e.g. part-time work to accommodate people with head-injury related fatigue, or allowing someone extended deadlines) doesn’t kill anyone.

If disabled people who could work in some way just didn’t, you leftie-bashing pr*cks would have some pretty nasty things to say then, too.

There’s no reasoning with people like you.

For the record, by the way, I wouldn’t consider myself disabled, but I have a disability. And yet I’m applying to study Medicine, predicted A*A*A at A-Level, and I have 2 jobs. My dad has very complex neurological issues and he works 1.5 days a week - down from working full time in a very very high-pressured job, having paid taxes all his life. My boyfriend has a genetic disorder and he is a brilliant computer tech.

Stop being so narrow-minded. I agree with you being PC goes too far sometimes, like telling kids they can’t sing “Baa Baa Black Sheep” or whatever, but I think society can certainly benefit from an improved tolerance for difference.
Reply 14
Original post by D3LLI5

I’m paraphrasing with a little sprinkle of anarchist bitterness. Leave me to grumble in peace 😂
Original post by D3LLI5
Unless you believe he also used the phrase "filthy scroungers" I think it's fair to assume these aren't exact quotes.:wink:
Original post by Texxers
Agree with him.

**posted without comment** :flute:
Original post by LRxS
I’m paraphrasing with a little sprinkle of anarchist bitterness. Leave me to grumble in peace 😂

I don’t think you grasp the concept of paraphrasing
Original post by 04MR17
Unless you believe he also used the phrase "filthy scroungers" I think it's fair to assume these aren't exact quotes.:wink:

That’s a funny way of saying they were lying
Original post by D3LLI5
That’s a funny way of saying they were lying
You confuse an appraisal of government rhetoric with direct quotations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending