The Student Room Group

Sixth Form - Choices

Hello!
I just wanted to ask, is it ok to only apply for one school, and that being your own school?
I went to a few open evenings and none of the schools seemed to really be as good as my own school at the moment.
Also I dont really want to go to a completely different place...
Is it too risky to only apply for one? Or should I apply somewhere else too just in case?
Reply 1
Original post by al2001
Hello!
I just wanted to ask, is it ok to only apply for one school, and that being your own school?
I went to a few open evenings and none of the schools seemed to really be as good as my own school at the moment.
Also I dont really want to go to a completely different place...
Is it too risky to only apply for one? Or should I apply somewhere else too just in case?

I think it depends on you. Does your school have entry requirements for sixth form? How are your grades? If you're not meeting the entry requirements (if they have any), I suggest applying somewhere else as a backup but don't bother applying to more than 2 others. If your grades are fine and it looks like you're on track to meeting ur school's entry requirements (if they have any), don't bother applying to others.
If your school is really where you want to stay then I wouldn't apply elsewhere if you're confident that you'll get the grades you need.
Even if you don't get the grades, you could still possibly stay on in your Sixth Form but it may just require you to take on different subjects (Economics, Business, Psychology etc) <- This is how it was done in my Sixth Form, although best to check.

If you are set on doing a few subjects but have doubts as to whether you will achieve the grades you want, it's definitely a sensible and realistic option to apply to other places as a backup. You never know, if you miss out by a little bit your Sixth Form may still be likely to take you, although it's best not to rely on this too much and make sure you have a plan B.
Reply 3
Original post by nyxnko_
I think it depends on you. Does your school have entry requirements for sixth form? How are your grades? If you're not meeting the entry requirements (if they have any), I suggest applying somewhere else as a backup but don't bother applying to more than 2 others. If your grades are fine and it looks like you're on track to meeting ur school's entry requirements (if they have any), don't bother applying to others.

Ah yes, they have entry requirements which theyll be looking at our mock results to see if we meet them (we are currently doing mocks though). So far I've been getting the grades I need (from small exams we do in class), however I have no clue how well I've done in these mock exams...
A lot of schools are ending their applications soon so I'm getting worried because what if I dont get the grades needed for my school😭
Reply 4
Original post by al2001
Ah yes, they have entry requirements which theyll be looking at our mock results to see if we meet them (we are currently doing mocks though). So far I've been getting the grades I need (from small exams we do in class), however I have no clue how well I've done in these mock exams...
A lot of schools are ending their applications soon so I'm getting worried because what if I dont get the grades needed for my school😭

If you're worried about not meeting the entry requirements, apply to other schools as a backup. But hopefully, you won't have to do that :smile: Good luck with your mocks!! :biggrin: My school is so extra that they even have a Mock Results Day.
Reply 5
Original post by JaredzzC
If your school is really where you want to stay then I wouldn't apply elsewhere if you're confident that you'll get the grades you need.
Even if you don't get the grades, you could still possibly stay on in your Sixth Form but it may just require you to take on different subjects (Economics, Business, Psychology etc) <- This is how it was done in my Sixth Form, although best to check.

If you are set on doing a few subjects but have doubts as to whether you will achieve the grades you want, it's definitely a sensible and realistic option to apply to other places as a backup. You never know, if you miss out by a little bit your Sixth Form may still be likely to take you, although it's best not to rely on this too much and make sure you have a plan B.

Thank you so much!(:
There is no harm in applying so maybe send out a few applications just in case. I assume you later have time to firm or reject?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending