The Student Room Group

Recommend some games

Ps3/ps4/xbox360/xbox1/pc/nintendo/psp

Scroll to see replies

minesweeper 10/10.

If I were to be serious though id ask what sort of games do you like already? what's your favourite genre etc
I can highly recommend Persona 5 for ps3 or ps4
For insiders and retro gamers who like to play shoot-and-up games with spaceships, Phalanx for SNES is a nice, but also a very tough game. So hard to play that it may be frustrating. It is so unknown and underrated and sank into oblivion, quite badly in my opinion.
overwatch
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm always gonna recommend Grim Fandango, my favourite game of all time. It got a remaster for steam (and PS4 I think?) and I would recommend it on PC. It's a point and click adventure with a great story and funny dialogue. In my opinion it's one of the greatest adventure games.

On that note, if you like point and clicks, The Secret of Monkey Island series and the Broken Sword series are also pretty wonderful.

Stardew Valley - the most addictive Harvest Moon-esque farming game that takes over my life every time I play it. I LOVE this game. Get it on PC. I imagine it'd be awkward with a controller.

Overwatch is good if you like that kinda thing. I've found it addictive when I was playing as I enjoy getting skins for the characters.

Hearthstone is good fun but I haven't played it for a very long time. Its possibly a pay-to-win kinda game now but who knows. There is a game mode called Tavern Brawl which is fun and usually evens the playing field.

Little Inferno is a fun procrastinator/relaxing game. I wouldn't get it unless it's fairly cheap though.

Don't Starve - highly suggest researching this game before getting it. I love it but I can't find anyone else who has enjoyed it that much so far. It seems to divide opinion.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, I got into this game because of my boyfriend and it's fun once you get the hang of it. Again, might wanna research first, or get your steam refund if you don't wanna play more than two hours.

There's probably a million more so I'll be back.

EDIT

Octodad is ****ing hilarious. Again. I can't find anyone else who loves it as much as me. So many people have played it on YouTube so you can check.

Overcooked is wonderful for local coop and is one of the games I've enjoyed playing the most with my boyfriend.

Two Brothers - amazing adventure coop game.

Rocket League - football with cars. Addictive. Infuriating. Fun.
(edited 6 years ago)
really depends what kind of genre you like, but I second every game that PandaCalavera mentioned
I love neverwinter nights 2, it's a fantasy rpg from obsidian. then okami, undertale, sunless sea, the wolf among us, this war of mine, animal crossing, reigns, sims, city skylines, vampire the masquerade bloodlines :smile:
Original post by Randz18

Skyrim
If you hate yourself, League of Legends or Dota2 are good options. If your life is empty and you have a high tolerance for boredom, most mmos, but particularly World of Warcraft or Runescape, would be reasonable.If you have no taste and/or think 4chan is clever/relevant then Call of Duty would probably suit. If all ofthe above apply, Destiny (2) would be ideal.

You've provided no indication of your tastes in games and have expressed no limitations or preferences in terms of platform. So, it's kind of impossible to say...although if you can't tell from previous comment, the games mentioned above are probably worth avoiding.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey have received great critical appraise recently, so that might be somewhere to start.
one word: destiny
I only play games on a PS4 this generation.

If you don't mind slow / relatively short games, the most emotional game of this generation for me that i've played is What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4/ Xbox
One/ Windows - it took nearly 3 months longer to come to the Xbox One which might suggest some timed exclusivity in terms of consoles, not surprising as their previous game, The Unfinished Swan, was exclusively made for Playstation). I'm not convinced that a couple of the stories in it make narrative sense as to giving a clue as to what actually happened in reality but a few of the stories are humourful, melancholy, bittersweet. Totally the tone that I'd expect from the makers of The
Unfinished Swan.

Multiplayer-wise, I love Uncharted 4's. In terms of single player, Uncharted 2 on PS3/PS4 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on PS4 are my favourites.

Puppeteer on PS3 was a brilliantly theatrical experience, like being in a pantomime in which you use scissors to cut your way through, up and down curtains/
canvas. It's a shame that it didn't sell massively well. If it had been rereleased early on the PS4 when there were fewer games it might have sold close to a million overall. The game was released in 2013 and 2.5D platformers still haven't progressed since that year really.

Catherine on PS3 is so brilliantly melodramatic in its script, visuals, and music. It's a great blend of puzzle game, pseudo-morality game, and surreal symbolism. A game where the plot pretends to take itself seriously and then you realise that it's really the imagery metaphors that has been taken seriously. I never buy puzzle
games of this nature (still haven't- I got it for free on PSN) but the fact that it's inseparable from the melodramatic narrative really raises it in to a story-driven
experience and I'd have paid £10-£15 for this. (it's not an indie game- it's a full price RRP).

If I had an Xbox One, I'd buy Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive. Quantum Break's by Remedy who made Max Payne and Alan Wake so I couldn't miss their
noirish touch to a game, even though it's far more subtly done in a modern way in QB from what I've seen. Sunset Overdrive's been
compared to Dead Rising, Crackdown, Saints Row, but it's the grinding, visuals, and attitude partly reminiscent of Jet Set Radio that would most interest me.

Play Limbo, then play Inside. Then realise that Limbo is the better for gameplay and that Inside is more of a narrative game, generally.

Lastly, if you want a platforming puzzle game that has some of the laid back dark sarastic humour of Monkey Island, as it's directed by Ron Gilbert, try The Cave- a very atmospheric game actually.
(edited 6 years ago)
Portal Knights - it's a relatively new sandbox RPG game for PC, PS4, Xbox One (Nintendo Switch soon as well).
Elder Scrolls II
Fallout 2
Theme Park
Worms
Star Wars Dark Forces

Well you asked.
Original post by Randz18

I only have a PC and Switch so here goes Switch first:
Zelda if you like RPG’s this is an ace choice there is loads to do just make sure you have time for other things too.

Mario kart 8 is a great if you want an arcady race game there are loads of tracks and a really fun battle mode and the on line if free until next year.!

Splatoon 2 is also great it’s one of only a few games I play online and also has a fun little single player if you like shooters .

Doom is a great choice for PC or Switch it’s an M rated shooter if you like FPS games and haven’t ever played a version of this then your doing your self a disservice it’s a classic doom 1 you can play in a browser right now I got this game on PC and Switch it totally worth it.

PC now:

Dark Forces is a great shooter along with is sequel Jedi night and both are available on gog for a more recent shooter far cry 3 or 4 are really good with again lots to do as is Crysis (any one of them)

Just Cause 3 is absolutely mad and I can’t really describe it just buy it.

The Arkham series is also really good even if you don’t like comic books (me) you’ll enjoy that

For Rts command and conquer genrels is really good and Xoom or x com 2 is also worth a look

That should give you a start
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Stardew valley - but it is sooooooooo addictive, it literally eats up time.
Original post by Rohit Joshi
overwatch

Mada mada (p,s im a top 500 Genji main with over 1000 hours on him and played since s1 level 1400 currently on PC)
Original post by Confuzzle247
Mada mada (p,s im a top 500 Genji main with over 1000 hours on him and played since s1 level 1400 currently on PC)

r/humblebrag
Original post by Randz18

Red Dead Redemption if you haven't played it yet, just in time for RDR2.
Watch Dogs 2!
Bloodborne, if you think you can handle it.

Quick Reply

Latest