The Student Room Group

Pope wants to change Lord's Prayer

The Pope has called for a change to the Lord's Prayer. He wants to change the line "lead us not into temptation" because God does not lead humans to sin.

Should the wording be changed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42279427
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/08/lead-us-not-into-mistranslation-pope-wants-lords-prayer-changed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
The Pope has called for a change to the Lord's Prayer. He wants to change the line "lead us not into temptation" because God does not lead humans to sin.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/08/lead-us-not-into-mistranslation-pope-wants-lords-prayer-changed

i mean it can be changed but would people actually bother or remember to say the new version

What do you think Doonesbury? What's your opinion?
as a catholic i don’t think it should lol
Bible prophesy making its way in to the news and current affairs section is a good thing in these days we live in.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Didn't God supposedly try to get Isaac to kill his son?

As a sign of sacrifice. To portray to us individuals as to we would not be able to sacrifice own own family for Allah's sake however these individuals such as Isaac was prepared to slaughter his son for Allah.

Nothing about sin in that context.
Reply 7
Original post by Drummond
What do you think Doonesbury? What's your opinion?

The French already had a different version (since 1966) and are further revising it now. Seems like the words get changed every now and again.
The French already had a different version (since 1966) and are further revising it now. Seems like the words get changed every now and again.

See that's the thing that I have noticed. The bible can always be altered. However compared to the Holy Quraan no matter how much an individual attempts to alter any wordings in the book it be a failed attempt.

In my opinion that speaks volumes.
>not praying in Arabic
God does not lead humans to sin.

If the good lord had not wanted us to mock religions he would not have given us men with ridiculous beards or with funny hats.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

The Vatican's version has been changed from day dot. Its not the same book.

After all, that was what the reformation was all about, because all the reformers and then half of Europe understood from the book of Daniel that that the pope was anti-christ.

'' I no more doubt but that it is the synagogue of Satan, and the head thereof, called the pope, to be that man of sin, of whom the apostle speaks." John Knox

"nothing else than the kingdom of Babylon and of very Antichrist. For who is the man of sin and the son of perdition, but he who by his teaching and his ordinances increases the sin and perdition of souls in the church; while he yet sits in the church as if he were God? All these conditions have now for many ages been fulfilled by the papal tyranny." Martin Luther

''"Whereof it followeth Rome to be the seat of Antichrist, and the pope to be very antichrist himself. I could prove the same by many other scriptures, old writers, and strong reasons." Thomas Cranmer. Archbishop of Canterbury

"There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalts himself in the Church against Christ, and all that is called God." Westminster Confession of Faith 1646

"... In many respects, the Pope has an indisputable claim to those titles. He is, in an emphatical sense, the man of sin, as he increases all manner of sin above measure. And he is, too, properly styled, the son of perdition, as he has caused the death of numberless multitudes, both of his opposers and followers, destroyed innumerable souls, and will himself perish everlastingly. He it is that opposeth himself to the emperor, once his rightful sovereign; and that exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped'' John Wesley Founder of Methodist Movement

Just a few examples. Do you think the pope is anti-christ?
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
So much for "don't harm innocents".

But the question then arises as to was his son really harmed? Did he kill his son?

Spoiler

Original post by Good bloke
If the good lord had not wanted us to mock religions he would not have given us men with ridiculous beards or with funny hats.

Santa Claus?
Original post by MiszShortee786
See that's the thing that I have noticed. The bible can always be altered. However compared to the Holy Quraan no matter how much an individual attempts to alter any wordings in the book it be a failed attempt.

In my opinion that speaks volumes.

The fact the Bible has different meanings in different languages says it all. The original Hebrew doesn't match English translations particularly well at all, so how can you read the Bible even thinking you're hearing the words you're supposed to be hearing?
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
The fact the Bible has different meanings in different languages says it all. The original Hebrew doesn't match English translations particularly well at all, so how can you read the Bible even thinking you're hearing the words you're supposed to be hearing?

Im not referring to the translation at all. Im talking about the original book itself.

How many copies of the bible are there prevalent today compared to the original text of the Holy Quraan?
Original post by clouddbubbles
as a catholic i don’t think it should lol

As a catholic isn't the pope infallible?
Original post by Gwilym101
As a catholic isn't the pope infallible?

to some people yes, but he doesn’t dictate us
Original post by MiszShortee786
Im not referring to the translation at all. Im talking about the original book itself.

How many copies of the bible are there prevalent today compared to the original text of the Holy Quraan?

How do you think those multiple versions came into being if not by translations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending