The Student Room Group

Official Women’s Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wilfred Little
That line of thinking is flawed and assumes they are playing in equivalent competitions when they aren't (the women's Euros and World Cups have fewer teams in, so they aren't like for like).

If they play in the same competitions the men play in and get further than the men do, then they've outshone them.

Until then, no.

Well maybe if they would think of us as equal and put the same amount of teams in the tournament and then we would.
But that doesn’t change the fact we still have out shone the England men’s team
Reply 21
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Sexism. Although the quality of women’s football is improving rapidly, it is still a number of years behind hence women’s football is looked down on.

Exactly that’s my point that’s why I think if the FA didn’t banned it in 1921 (they lifted it in 1971) it would be totally different
Original post by Sophh21103
Well maybe if they would think of us as equal and put the same amount of teams in the tournament and then we would.
But that doesn’t change the fact we still have out shone the England men’s team

Getting further in an inferior/different competition =/= outshining

My local Sunday League team won a trophy last season are they outshining the England men as well?

Not sure why you are so obsessed with 'getting one over' the men.
Reply 23
Original post by Wilfred Little
Getting further in an inferior/different competition =/= outshining

My local Sunday League team won a trophy last season are they outshining the England men as well?
Tbh so is my under 14 team I play for we have won the league 2 the County Cup 1 Northbank tournament 1 Whitehaven tournament 1 League Cup 1 in 2 seasons

Not sure why you are so obsessed with 'getting one over' the men.

I’m not so obsessed it’s the fact we always get looked down on as the 2nd best to the male international team but we are not
I’m not so obsessed it’s the fact we always get looked down on as the 2nd best to the male international team but we are not

I agree it's just not true.

You have the u21, u20, u19, u18, u17 & u16 teams.

8th best?
Exactly that’s my point that’s why I think if the FA didn’t banned it in 1921 (they lifted it in 1971) it would be totally different

In theory yes, but I don’t think they really made the effort until a few years ago. Think it might take a lot of generations until football isn’t seen as a boy sport, some of the attendances in the women’s English top flight are about the same as men’s conference premier division, and I can’t see it changing anytime soon. For example Reading women hit 1k attendance the other day for the first time I think, the men’s team isn’t even in the premier league yet they get 12 times that attendance at the very least on a regular basis.
Reply 26
Original post by BrianMcEgg
In theory yes, but I don’t think they really made the effort until a few years ago. Think it might take a lot of generations until football isn’t seen as a boy sport, some of the attendances in the women’s English top flight are about the same as men’s conference premier division, and I can’t see it changing anytime soon. For example Reading women hit 1k attendance the other day for the first time I think, the men’s team isn’t even in the premier league yet they get 12 times that attendance at the very least on a regular basis.

Exactly I know that but it’s the fact the FA are just making it harder for women to play top flight league with their new ‘criteria’ which is not right for the football clubs and that’s why we need more coverage which could help and that why all the women players work so hard to try and change it so it’s not only a ‘boy or man’ sport instead of trying to help it play catch-up to all the time lost through that ban and a bit after
What game ??? And the Lionesses are amazing and throughly deserve to be the no.1 ranked team in the world

Durham Ladies v Aston Villa Ladies
Reply 28
Original post by Rock Fan
Durham Ladies v Aston Villa Ladies

Durham are fairly decent ... I’ve meet there midfielder Beth Hepple she’s really nice tbh she’s the one who tried to persuade me to sign a deal with their RTC
Durham are fairly decent ... I’ve meet there midfielder Beth Hepple she’s really nice tbh she’s the one who tried to persuade me to sign a deal with their RTC

The game got called off because Villa could not get out of Birmingham because of the heavy snow, was shame that was looking forward to a cracking match, Beth from what I remember is a good player, I managed to get half the England Ladies autographs and got a Selfie with one of the Villa female strikers.
My favourite game ever just so happens to be a women's game. The 2012 Olympic semi-final between the US and Canada.
Original post by TheMagicRat
My favourite game ever just so happens to be a women's game. The 2012 Olympic semi-final between the US and Canada.

Oh yeah that was just drama all the way, one of the best ever women's games I had seen.
I am off to a women's game Sunday hey @Jack22031994 you going to any games soon?
I am off to a women's game Sunday hey @Jack22031994 you going to any games soon?

Unfortunately not - far too busy! :frown:

What game you off to?
Original post by Jack22031994
Unfortunately not - far too busy! :frown:

What game you off to?

Ah that sucks for you, I am off to Villa Ladies v London Bees (well they may as well be called Barnet) this Sunday
Ah that sucks for you, I am off to Villa Ladies v London Bees (well they may as well be called Barnet) this Sunday

Yeah, want to get to Anfield to at some point :frown: Ah nice and yeah they might as well be! :smile:

Hope its a good game :biggrin:
Yeah, want to get to Anfield to at some point :frown: Ah nice and yeah they might as well be! :smile:

Hope its a good game :biggrin:

I been to Anfield but that was for the men's lol, yeah we need to keep our winning run going.
I been to Anfield but that was for the men's lol, yeah we need to keep our winning run going.

Same! Just not in ages :frown: I can now afford membership though so can get ticket access again! :smile:

Ah good luck! :smile:
Same! Just not in ages :frown: I can now afford membership though so can get ticket access again! :smile:

Ah good luck! :smile:

We'll need it, they just let our star striker go which is rubbish I even got a shirt with her name on the back :frown:
http://ladies.avfc.co.uk/news/wilkinson_leaves_villa_ladies.html#EXrTx6jlVwbMfRD3.97
Anyone should be allowed to play any sport , there shouldn’t be any gender discrimination as to who can play what sport. Regardless of whether you’re a male or female , everyone is good at certain things , some better than others.

Quick Reply

Latest