The Student Room Group

Newham Collegiate Sixth Form??

Any thoughts on NCS Sixth Form in East Ham?
Has anyone been and is it any good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dagan01
Any thoughts on NCS Sixth Form in East Ham?
Has anyone been and is it any good?

I am a second year student at the institution, I once in your position, fell in to the propaganda of it being an amazing institution and full of opportunities and wonder. It's designed to captivate an individual. From the headteacher it is able to gain publicity, because of his past. Upon entry there isnt as many opportunities as advertised and the teaching quality is not all that. Only reason the success rate is continuously high is because , from the beginning they take in only smart people and if they don't achieve high , that's something to question.
Reply 2
Are the teachers good - what is the teaching style like for your chosen subjects?
Original post by Dagan01
Are the teachers good - what is the teaching style like for your chosen subjects?

I do maths , further maths and physics, predicted AAA, as you may tell my subjects are more, whiteboard and pen approach and obviously hands on. Naturally I grasp the concept. Teachers can obviously explain, that's like a primary school sort of thing. It's just that , the students are naturally smart and grasp the concepts, further practice individually, now I look back, seven kings or my sixth form would've been the best option. Would've had better explanation and less independent study needed .
dont go its shite
Reply 5
What about Brampton Manor Academy- how is it there?
Original post by Mrstudies
I am a second year student at the institution, I once in your position, fell in to the propaganda of it being an amazing institution and full of opportunities and wonder. It's designed to captivate an individual. From the headteacher it is able to gain publicity, because of his past. Upon entry there isnt as many opportunities as advertised and the teaching quality is not all that. Only reason the success rate is continuously high is because , from the beginning they take in only smart people and if they don't achieve high , that's something to question.

How comes you didn’t leave if you hated it so much? Do you really study at NCS?
Newham Sixth Form is great!

Someone got into MIT on a quarter million scholarship!

Furthermore, some students got into Oxbridge (11)
Reply 8
the institution is overrated and they over-advertise.they made me wait in line for hours on results day which was very useless.sam dobin needs to lower his standards.
Original post by ddsrty
the institution is overrated and they over-advertise.they made me wait in line for hours on results day which was very useless.sam dobin needs to lower his standards.

At Brampton manor? what were your grades? which sixth form/college are you in atm?
Reply 10
Hi, i’m in year 11 thinking about sixth form. i’ve heard good and bad things about brampton manor. how’s the social life, what are the people like, how much pressure is there. do you guys recommend? i come from a very relaxed grammar school not sure if it the right environment for me
Original post by mirhaf
Hi, i’m in year 11 thinking about sixth form. i’ve heard good and bad things about brampton manor. how’s the social life, what are the people like, how much pressure is there. do you guys recommend? i come from a very relaxed grammar school not sure if it the right environment for me

I know someone from bma this year and she said that the atmosphere is very stressful in terms of homework and studies however she says that it’s really fun there cos there’s a lot of things going on and everyone is friendly and loud. She said the atmosphere for her personally is chill until it comes to exams and stuff which is obviously understandable. I think the environment is more friendly in bma as she said everyone focuses on making friends and having fun more whereas in other schools they’re focused on work. I guess if u can handle a lot of work and you want to make friends then go bma cos it’s calm. But that experience is not for everyone. They have study lessons everyday where they sit in a study room that is quiet and do their work which is good I guess. They have a good university access team thing where they get weekly emails of opportunities and stuff like that. School finishes at 2:30 lucky people and yh if u want a lot of hw and stuff go there but I think every college has a lot of work cos ur taking a levels sooo just go to all open evenings and you would know which one u for in like u can match their energy, good luck :smile: what a levels are u gonna take btw
Original post by Mrstudies
I do maths , further maths and physics, predicted AAA, as you may tell my subjects are more, whiteboard and pen approach and obviously hands on. Naturally I grasp the concept. Teachers can obviously explain, that's like a primary school sort of thing. It's just that , the students are naturally smart and grasp the concepts, further practice individually, now I look back, seven kings or my sixth form would've been the best option. Would've had better explanation and less independent study needed .

How was your interview when you applied to Newham collegiate sixth form, and what was your predicted grades when you have applied there? Because I have got 9 in chemistry and physics and 8 in math and 8 in biology, SO in my A-levels I would like to do Biology, chemistry and math. Do you think by these grades which I've got I have a big chance to get there or not?
Original post by Ali.m2004
How was your interview when you applied to Newham collegiate sixth form, and what was your predicted grades when you have applied there? Because I have got 9 in chemistry and physics and 8 in math and 8 in biology, SO in my A-levels I would like to do Biology, chemistry and math. Do you think by these grades which I've got I have a big chance to get there or not?

They take other grades into account aswell, you got to have a total min point score of 56. I'm gonna apply and mine is 65. It's out 72 cause of the 8 best GCSE
Reply 14
so is NCS not worth it?
Original post by mirhaf
so is NCS not worth it?

Did NCS ask your school for predicted grades yet? I don’t think they contacted mine. Were we suppose to get the grades ourselves and submit them?
If you want to have a social life throughout your college years, I would strongly advise against going to NCS in East Ham. The workload we get is massive and I don't know if it's just the people in my year but everyone is so dead. It's honestly so draining I can't explain. We basically have no time to do anything besides homework (no time to revise properly) and if you complain to the teachers, they'll say "well you chose to come to ncs" which is true I guess. The likelihood of getting a scholarship for an American uni is very low. The only reason NCS gets such good A level results year after year is because of how selective they are, if you mess up your end of year 12 exams you'll probably have to retake the year like many people at ncs. LAE get basically the same grades as NCS and they are much more lenient. You'll get told off for slouching, yawning etc in class and detentions are handed out left right and centre for stupid reasons (e.g. if one question of the homework wasn't completed to an A* standard). Btw, yes, it's true, we get 25 hours of homework per week and 60 hours over the half term. Literally no time to revise. One good thing is that the teachers know their subjects very well and are willing to help if you don't understand.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Bonnie_2
If you want to have a social life throughout your college years, I would strongly advise against going to NCS in East Ham. The workload we get is massive and I don't know if it's just the people in my year but everyone is so dead. It's honestly so draining I can't explain. We basically have no time to do anything besides homework (no time to revise properly) and if you complain to the teachers, they'll say "well you chose to come to ncs" which is true I guess. The likelihood of getting a scholarship for an American uni is very low. The only reason NCS gets such good A level results year after year is because of how selective they are, if you mess up your end of year 12 exams you'll probably have to retake the year like many people at ncs. LAE get basically the same grades as NCS and they are much more lenient. You'll get told off for slouching, yawning etc in class and detentions are handed out left right and centre for stupid reasons (e.g. if one question of the homework wasn't completed to an A* standard). Btw, yes, it's true, we get 25 hours of homework per week and 60 hours over the half term. Literally no time to revise. One good thing is that the teachers know their subjects very well and are willing to help if you don't understand.

Wow

You in year 13?

I'm in year 13 NCS too
Original post by Jaan_7
Wow

You in year 13?

I'm in year 13 NCS too

Hey I was just wondering, I would like to go to the NCS as well but honestly don't know if I have a good chance or if i would get in with my results. I want to do History, Politics, English Literature and Religious Studies. I am predicted a 9 in English Literature, English Language, History, Religious Studies and an 8 in Geography then 7-7 in Science and Maths and a 6 in French

Do you think that with these grades its possible to get in to the NCS or is it more unlikely? I know how competitive the courses are and the grades need to be high to get in so want to know if with my grades I can have a good chance of getting an offer
(edited 1 year ago)
Oh same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending