The Student Room Group

Gcse revision- BE HONEST

I was talking to my friends today about exams and revision as we have our mock exams in the next two weeks. One of my friends claimed she does 3-3.5 hours of revision every day..?
Most of my other friends said they did an hour a night.
At this stage in Year 11, how much are you guys doing?
I’m doing 1.5hrs a day. 30 minutes on 3 different subjects a day?
Is that a good amount?
I’m really worried that I don’t do enough but I go to sleep early so can’t fit much in.
Please give an HONEST answer to how much revision you do!
Thank you.
I think that the amount of revision you are doing is fine, but make sure that your revision is productive. I’m currently doing a levels and my teachers have told us that making notes isn’t revision rather it’s doing a lot of practise questions and ‘memorising’ the notes. However make sure that you aren’t doing too much otherwise you will literally burn out. I only revised an hour a day and my results were great at the end
Reply 2
Original post by marzipan1030
I think that the amount of revision you are doing is fine, but make sure that your revision is productive. I’m currently doing a levels and my teachers have told us that making notes isn’t revision rather it’s doing a lot of practise questions and ‘memorising’ the notes. However make sure that you aren’t doing too much otherwise you will literally burn out. I only revised an hour a day and my results were great at the end

Thank you so much for the reply! I think I’m going to stick at 1.5 hours a day as i do have other commitments such as sports and YouTube to spend time on too😂
I’m assuming sometimes people aren’t always honest about the amount they are doing.
I’m just aware that I’ve got 5 months until my first exam so I don’t want to overdo it and end up doing nothing.
Original post by OrlaMayxx
Thank you so much for the reply! I think I’m going to stick at 1.5 hours a day as i do have other commitments such as sports and YouTube to spend time on too😂
I’m assuming sometimes people aren’t always honest about the amount they are doing.
I’m just aware that I’ve got 5 months until my first exam so I don’t want to overdo it and end up doing nothing.

I find that a lot of people lie about how much time they spend on revision 😂, to make us feel threatened by them. Good luck on your revision, I don’t want to scare you but the 9-1 GCSE exams are brutal- I only went through the English and maths and god were they hard! But you will pull through as long as you do ALOT of practise questions and also get your teachers to mark any practise essays as well. The more practise you get, the better it will be! Good luck x
Reply 4
When I was doing my GCSEs I didn't revise at all for any exams and I did well in the ones I had interest in. The only ones I didn't do well in were german and history and that's only because I never paid any attention in those lessons. how much revision you do depends on how confident at the subject you are I guess, revise if you feel you need to.
Hey! I'm doing GCSEs at the moment and I can tell you that I revise around 2-3 hours a day. This is just me, so it might be different depending on your circumstances. When I started back in September, I was doing around 5 hours of revision, but all it did was make me ill AF. Therefore, I recommend finding yourself a balance of revision and free time. I feel 2 hours works for me.
Reply 6
Original post by marzipan1030
I find that a lot of people lie about how much time they spend on revision 😂, to make us feel threatened by them. Good luck on your revision, I don’t want to scare you but the 9-1 GCSE exams are brutal- I only went through the English and maths and god were they hard! But you will pull through as long as you do ALOT of practise questions and also get your teachers to mark any practise essays as well. The more practise you get, the better it will be! Good luck x

Thank you! I have maths, English, science and English lit exams! I thought some people lied about it too haha, I find it hard to believe they spend 3-4hrs each evening and have time to eat and relax too.
Thanks for your comment, I’m doing practice questions in the exam revision books and trying to mix up the subjects.
I’m so worried for the maths ones as I’m predicted a 2- I suck at maths.
Reply 7
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Hey! I'm doing GCSEs at the moment and I can tell you that I revise around 2-3 hours a day. This is just me, so it might be different depending on your circumstances. When I started back in September, I was doing around 5 hours of revision, but all it did was make me ill AF. Therefore, I recommend finding yourself a balance of revision and free time. I feel 2 hours works for me.

Glad you aren’t still doing 5hrs a night! That’s very extreme.
Hope your new 2hr goal is working, best of luck with your exams:smile:
Thanks for the reply.
Reply 8
This question is pointless. More hours don’t equate to better grades or more effective revision
Reply 9
Zaman 👽👽
(edited 5 years ago)
I think it’s not about the amount of the you revise but how effective your revision is. So just make sure you revise in a way which is very effective and if you learn how to you don’t have to be doing such long revision.
The length of time spent revising doesn't matter. For some subjects I had to revise longer than others to feel I had revised enough. It's the quality of revision. Your friends might count 3 hours of revision as reading a textbook, which isn't good, but you could spend 3 hours doing papers, mind maps etc. and have revised so much more.

Quick Reply