The Student Room Group

What does level 1 and 2 mean?

I want to do fashion design in a design college but do i start at level one or 2 if i took art and product design for GCSE ( currently in Year 11)..thanks for the help i appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by Abiabiabiabi
I want to do fashion design in a design college but do i start at level one or 2 if i took art and product design for GCSE ( currently in Year 11)..thanks for the help i appreciate it! :smile:

Since GCSEs are level 2, you should be doing a level 3 course.
Though it can depend on what grades you get, what are your predicted GCSE grades?
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Since GCSEs are level 2, you should be doing a level 3 course.
Though it can depend on what grades you get, what are your predicted GCSE grades?

My product design predicted grade is an A and my art is Level 7 (A) but i couldn't take fashion or textiles because in my school they didn't have it so don't i need to start at Level 1 for college....
Level 1 is a qualification of around GCSE (D-G) or whatever the numbers are you newbies use nowadays.
Level 2 is GCSE level (A*-C)
Level 3 is A-Level equivalent understanding. Level 3 BTECs are also used to get into university.
Level 4-6, each year of university is another level higher e.g. 1st year = Level 4, 2nd Year = Level 5
Level 7 is a Masters degree level qualification
Level 8 is Doctorate/PhD level.

Bit of an overload of information but thought you'd like to see the progression of qualifications. Gives you a bigger picture :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CTLevers
Level 1 is a qualification of around GCSE (D-F) or whatever the numbers are you newbies use nowadays.
Level 2 is GCSE level (A*-C)
Level 3 is A-Level equivalent understanding. Level 3 BTECs are also used to get into university.
Level 4-6, each year of university is another level higher e.g. 1st year = Level 4, 2nd Year = Level 5
Level 7 is a Masters degree level qualification
Level 8 is Doctorate/PhD level.

Bit of an overload of information but thought you'd like to see the progression of qualifications. Gives you a bigger picture :h:

I really need all this informations, thank you for the help!
I really need all this informations, thank you for the help!

You're welcome :h:
My product design predicted grade is an A and my art is Level 7 (A) but i couldn't take fashion or textiles because in my school they didn't have it so don't i need to start at Level 1 for college....

Since art and product design are creative subjects, you should be able to do it college.
Also, your predicted grades are really good so aim to get on a level 3 course if you can
Since art and product design are creative subjects, you should be able to do it college.
Also, your predicted grades are really good so aim to get on a level 3 course if you can

Oooh but if i aim towards Level 3 wouldn't i miss out the Level 2 bits and since i don't know anything about fashion or textiles is that a better option? Sorry i keep asking questions.
Oooh but if i aim towards Level 3 wouldn't i miss out the Level 2 bits and since i don't know anything about fashion or textiles is that a better option? Sorry i keep asking questions.

They go over the basic stuff in level 3 anyway.
You're predicted grades are good so i think you'll be able to manage level 3 fine
They go over the basic stuff in level 3 anyway.
You're predicted grades are good so i think you'll be able to manage level 3 fine

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest