The Student Room Group

Do judges create law?

Hi, i'm a bit stuck with a written assessment.

could someone please point me in the right direction to find an argument which supports the idea that judges do not create law?

i've been brain dead on this for 2 days, lol

thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaczers
Hi, i'm a bit stuck with a written assessment.

could someone please point me in the right direction to find an argument which supports the idea that judges do not create law?

i've been brain dead on this for 2 days, lol

thank you!

I'd look for articles or books that discuss Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Literal approach?
Original post by Forum User
I'd look for articles or books that discuss Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.

Thanks! i'll look into that now =)

Original post by new1234
Literal approach?

of statutory interpretation? I dont think that would be a strong enough argument to say that judges do not create law :frown: but thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by jaczers
Thanks! i'll look into that now =)

of statutory interpretation? I dont think that would be a strong enough argument to say that judges do not create law :frown: but thanks!

Stare decisis? Binding precedent?
Court hierarchy?
Original post by new1234
Stare decisis? Binding precedent?
Court hierarchy?

I wouldn't have thought those could be used in an argument to suggest judges do not create law..? If anything, it shows that they do :s-smilie:

I think I might just play on the fact that flexible interpretation of statue (mischief rule, etc) might come across as judges creating law.. :afraid:

It's pretty clear judges do create law so.. to find an argument to suggest otherwise is hard hahah

Thanks though :smile:
Original post by jaczers
I wouldn't have thought those could be used in an argument to suggest judges do not create law..? If anything, it shows that they do :s-smilie:

I think I might just play on the fact that flexible interpretation of statue (mischief rule, etc) might come across as judges creating law.. :afraid:

It's pretty clear judges do create law so.. to find an argument to suggest otherwise is hard hahah

Thanks though :smile:

How would stare decisis be evidence of judges creating law?
Original post by Jasaron
How would stare decisis be evidence of judges creating law?

Because stare decisis is the doctrine of precedent, following the decisions of previous cases which is part of the common law, and judge made law, which shows judges make law?

Or am I being really dumb? :bricks:
Original post by jaczers
Because stare decisis is the doctrine of precedent, following the decisions of previous cases which is part of the common law, and judge made law, which shows judges make law?

Or am I being really dumb? :bricks:

You're not being dumb. You're just not expressing yourself very well.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You're not being dumb. You're just not expressing yourself very well.

Ok that makes sense, i've only been studying law for 6 weeks :confused: haha! This is my first assignment and most of it is very confusing =)
I thought it was parliament that creates law?
Reply 11
Your starting point would be a glance at Kleinwort Benson. This case isn't exactly a gripping read, but you may also wish to read something on the Rule of Law and/or the English Legal System.

If you've only been studying Law for six weeks, at what level are you studying? If this is only an equivalent of GCSE level then reading a case would be a bit of an overkill.
Original post by Mimir
Your starting point would be a glance at Kleinwort Benson. This case isn't exactly a gripping read, but you may also wish to read something on the Rule of Law and/or the English Legal System.

If you've only been studying Law for six weeks, at what level are you studying? If this is only an equivalent of GCSE level then reading a case would be a bit of an overkill.

I've read some stuff on that case this evening, but probably because i'm so new to law, I cant understand it very well, argh

And i'm doing an LLB, meh ! haha
Original post by SuperHuman98
I thought it was parliament that creates law?

They make statute, yeah!
(edited 6 years ago)
Judges create laws interpretatively in an executive, "final deal" kind of way, but they're bound by the code of law, and they can be charged.

A judge has the power to waive certain aspects but are limited to a case-by-case approach. This is why being a judge is a very serious affair.

As for the question, "can judges create law from example?", the answer is yes. Because they are not only citizens who are capable of protest, they can protest executively. A lobby of judges can start legislating indirectly if they are vocal enough.

It's all about populism.
Original post by SWCoffee
Judges create laws interpretatively in an executive, "final deal" kind of way, but they're bound by the code of law, and they can be charged.

A judge has the power to waive certain aspects but are limited to a case-by-case approach. This is why being a judge is a very serious affair.

As for the question, "can judges create law from example?", the answer is yes. Because they are not only citizens who are capable of protest, they can protest executively. A lobby of judges can start legislating indirectly if they are vocal enough.

It's all about populism.

You seem to miss the point entirely.

Original post by jaczers
They make statute, yeah!

OP, you have the case and directions on which literature to read. I think it is probably best to go about reading the materials, as people are now jumping in not really understanding the question at all. As you're a new entrant to law, you don't want to be left more confused by taking on board the advice of people who are even more confused than you.

The question was, do judges create law.

The answer is yes, indirectly, via example.

OP, you have the case and directions on which literature to read. I think it is probably best to go about reading the materials, as people are now jumping in not really understanding the question at all. As you're a new entrant to law, you don't want to be left more confused by taking on board the advice of people who are even more confused than you.

Indeed, haha! thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by SWCoffee
The question was, do judges create law.

The answer is yes, indirectly, via example.

:facepalm:
Original post by Mimir
:facepalm:

Same to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending