The Student Room Group

Binomial expansion

Could you guys please help me with the second part of this question.

The questions state as follows:

A.

fully expand (p+q)^5

I have done this, using the binomial expansion theorem and have gotten an answer of:

p^5 +5p^4q + 10p^3q^2 + 10p^2q^3 + 5pq^4 + q^5

B.

a fair 4 sided die, numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4, is rolled 5 times. Let p represent the probability that the number 4 is rolled on a given roll, and let q represent the probability that the number 4 is not rolled on a given roll.

Using the first 3 terms of the binomial expansion from part a, find the probability that the number 4 is rolled at least 3 times.

How do I answer part B?

Thank you
p^5 is the probability of five successive 4's

5p^4q is the probability of of four 4's and one "no 4" out of five rolls, taking account of the five ways this can happen

etc

"at least three times" means three times or four times or five times.

Does that help?
Original post by old_engineer
p^5 is the probability of five successive 4's

5p^4q is the probability of of four 4's and one "no 4" out of five rolls, taking account of the five ways this can happen

etc

"at least three times" means three times or four times or five times.

Does that help?

does this mean that the probability for the first 3 terms is 12/15 ?
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
does this mean that the probability for the first 3 terms is 12/15 ?

No, that's not what I get. Can I suggest that you post your working, or perhaps state what you get for the three terms separately? Also perhaps state the values you're using for p and q.
(edited 6 years ago)
No, that's not what I get. Can I suggest that you post your working, or perhaps state what you get for the three terms separately?

sorry, I added the denominator of each, idk why.

but I got the answer of 12/5 from:

P^5 = probability of number 4 = 5/5
5p^4q = probability of number 4 = 4/5
10p^3q^2 = probability of number 4 = 3/5

5/5 + 4/5 + 3/5 = 12/5
sorry, I added the denominator of each, idk why.

but I got the answer of 12/5 from:

P^5 = probability of number 4 = 5/5
5p^4q = probability of number 4 = 4/5
10p^3q^2 = probability of number 4 = 3/5

5/5 + 4/5 + 3/5 = 12/5

Err no. The probability of anything happening can't be greater than 1. To set you going in the right direction, p = (1/4). It's a fair four-sided die so the probability of any particular value (e.g. 4) coming up in one throw must be (1/4). The probability of five successive 4's is then p^5 which is equal to (1/4)^5. Can you take it from there?
Err no. The probability of anything happening can't be greater than 1. To set you going in the right direction, p = (1/4). It's a fair four-sided die so the probability of any particular value (e.g. 4) coming up in one throw must be (1/4). The probability of five successive 4's is then p^5 which is equal to (1/4)^5. Can you take it from there?

so p = 1/4 and q = 3/4.

so do I just substitute those values for the first 3 terms?

which would give me

(1/4)^5 + 5(1/4)^4 (3/4) + 10(1/4)^3 (3/4)^2

this would give me

1/1024 + 15/1024 + 45/512

what would I do after this?
My Stats is a bit rusty but.
It's part of the Binomial Distribution.

Let X be the discrete random variable 'the number of 4s obtained when rolling the dice'

Think of it as X~B(n,p), where n is your number of trials and p is the probability of a success each individual time. If you have a high-end calculator, this can be done for you by inputting values and giving you a table.

In this instance, your n is 5 because there are 5 trials, p assumably is 1/4

So we have X~B(5,0.25)

If we're wanting P(X greater or equal to 3), we can input values and do 1-P(X lessthanequal to 2) for our probability.

Using your expansion, you only need to look at the terms here, if we're looking for 'at least 3 times', we're wanting these terms
p^5 +5p^4q + 10p^3q^2
i.e 'Probability you roll 5 4s, probability you roll four 4s and 1 of something else, probability you roll 3 4s and 2 of something else'.

Alternatively, you could do 1 minus the last 3 terms
10p^2q^3 + 5pq^4 + q^5
i.e the probability you roll 2 4s and 3 of something else, 1 4 and 4 of something else, or 5 of something else, i.e your failing terms, by subtracting that from 1 you will get your success terms.
so p = 1/4 and q = 3/4.

which would give me

this would give me

That's looking much better. To finish off, you just need to express the third of your terms with a denominator of 1024 rather than 512, then you can simply add the three terms together to give n/1024, which is the required answer.
That's looking much better. To finish off, you just need to express the third of your terms with a denominator of 1024 rather than 512, then you can simply add the three terms together to give n/1024, which is the required answer.

Thank you so much.

that is your answer...
Hey! Can I ask you where did you get this exercise from?
Could you guys please help me with the second part of this question.

The questions state as follows:

A.

fully expand (p+q)^5

I have done this, using the binomial expansion theorem and have gotten an answer of:

p^5 +5p^4q + 10p^3q^2 + 10p^2q^3 + 5pq^4 + q^5

B.

a fair 4 sided die, numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4, is rolled 5 times. Let p represent the probability that the number 4 is rolled on a given roll, and let q represent the probability that the number 4 is not rolled on a given roll.

Using the first 3 terms of the binomial expansion from part a, find the probability that the number 4 is rolled at least 3 times.

How do I answer part B?

Thank you

hey i was wondering if u have the differentiation version of this.
Reply 13
so p = 1/4 and q = 3/4.

which would give me

this would give me

Hello, I dont understand why substituting those values would give us the probability of there being a 4 rolled at least 3 times. Will someone explain please?
Original post by c00li9
Hello, I dont understand why substituting those values would give us the probability of there being a 4 rolled at least 3 times. Will someone explain please?

The first three terms of the binomial expansion give us the probabilities that there will be five, four, and three "4"s thrown respectively. Together, they give us the probability that at least three "4"s will be thrown.

This thread is three years old, by the way.

Quick Reply

Latest