The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

What are the Best and Worst things about The University of Birmingham?

Russell Group!
Best things: University campus is nice, lots of facilities, good transport links, good uni links, good opportunities, good employment prospects, people are lovely, nightlife is good, library is good (and new :yy: )
Worst things: Birmingham looks horrible, SU is not amazing apparently, accommodation is v expensive, accommodation is far from campus, crap accommodation source: (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25449186&postcount=4), noise can be a problem (Vale)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Best things: University campus is nice, lots of facilities, good transport links, good uni links, good opportunities, good employment prospects, people are lovely, nightlife is good, library is good (and new :yy: )
Worst things: Birmingham looks horrible, SU is not amazing apparently, accommodation is v expensive, accommodation is far from campus, crap accommodation source: (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25449186&postcount=4), noise can be a problem (Vale)

What about the societies?
Original post by The1AndOnly1

They have so many lol :rofl3: that's all I can tell you, I can send a message to my friends there if you wish xD

There are a lot of societies. They tend to be more active at certain points of the year and then slow down especially when people have a lot of deadlines. Birmingham as a city is actually growing and improving a lot. So I would disagree about the city being ''horrible''.

The main issue is probably the accommodation. The Guild is fine too, just known for being a bit strict and rigid about rules I believe. Food is overpriced on campus (perhaps a problem at many unis).

Let me know if you have any other questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Insecable
There are a lot of societies. They tend to be more active at certain points of the year and then slow down especially when people have a lot of deadlines. Birmingham as a city is actually growing and improving a lot. So I would disagree about the city being ''horrible''.

Agreed.

Spoiler

The main issue is probably the accommodation. The Guild is fine too, just known for being a bit strict and rigid about rules I believe. Food is overpriced on campus (perhaps a problem at many unis).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Is there willing support from the universities? i.e. Things like business startup support?
Is there willing support from the universities? i.e. Things like business startup support?

I think there's a program where they give 2,000 pounds to people with a good startup idea. You do have to go through an application process for it though.
You get to see me :smile:
I think there's a program where they give 2,000 pounds to people with a good startup idea. You do have to go through an application process for it though.

I heard that they then help you get advice from previous alumni such as Nick Jenkins who have gone on to be successful businessmen. Is this true?
I heard that they then help you get advice from previous alumni such as Nick Jenkins who have gone on to be successful businessmen. Is this true?

Haven't heard anything about that, but it may be true. You'd have to look that up or ask someone else.
Haven't heard anything about that, but it may be true. You'd have to look that up or ask someone else.

I couldn't find anything online - do you think you could tag someone who might know?
Best things: gorgeous campus, huge student body so lots of people to meet, fab nightlife, loads of societies, if you're into theatre then there's lots of different theatre groups who put on loads of plays each term, 2 spars and 2 costas on campus :lol:

Worst things: walking to campus when it rains (from the vale that is), expensive accomodation in general, limited space to work in the new library, some surrounding areas (i.e. selly oak) can be dodgy
Hi there,When people say 'expensive' accommodation, I'm assuming not all accommodation is expensive? I've been looking at Ashcroft and that's only like 4000 a year. Compared to Durham uni which is another one of my options that's quite a bit cheaper
Original post by Smirnoffthecat
Hi there,When people say 'expensive' accommodation, I'm assuming not all accommodation is expensive? I've been looking at Ashcroft and that's only like 4000 a year. Compared to Durham uni which is another one of my options that's quite a bit cheaper

No, not all accomodation is expensive. I live on the Vale and the majority of the accomodation there is quite pricey - however, the uni has a wide variety of accomodation such as the Vale, Pritchatts Park and all the partner acc. You'll be able to find something in your budget I'm sure :smile: I managed to get into cheap halls on the Vale so it isn't impossible haha! Just in general the accomodation is quite expensive compared to other universities.
Original post by sarahcat17
No, not all accomodation is expensive. I live on the Vale and the majority of the accomodation there is quite pricey - however, the uni has a wide variety of accomodation such as the Vale, Pritchatts Park and all the partner acc. You'll be able to find something in your budget I'm sure :smile: I managed to get into cheap halls on the Vale so it isn't impossible haha! Just in general the accomodation is quite expensive compared to other universities.

Thanks for the help! To be honest, I just assumed that all unis had the same range of costs when it came to accommodation. I've also applied to University of Leeds, University of Nottingham, University of Edinburgh and of course Durham. I know this isn't about Birmingham but does anyone have anything else useful about the costs of these unis? :smile:
Original post by sarahcat17

My friend currently pays £6,195 per year at Mason which doesn't include food since it's self catering.
Original post by Old chen
My friend currently pays £6,195 per year at Mason which doesn't include food since it's self catering.

See, that is quite expensive and I wouldn't be able to afford that, but at the same time catered accommodation doesn't appeal to me as I prefer the independence of being in charge of your own food and meals etc
Reply 18

I think Leeds have that, if that’s any help. No idea about Birmingham though.

Have to say I really do not like Birmingham uni (based on open days, friends experiences, my interview there) but I’ve applied for 3 reasons;
accommodation is not an issue for me there as I could live at home & commute or live with my gf if she goes there
as a med applicant I was most likely to get an interview of Birmingham compared to other med schools
again as a med applicant, the link to the QE is fantastic & I’m also really interested in defence medicine which is based there.
Reply 19
Original post by Smirnoffthecat
See, that is quite expensive and I wouldn't be able to afford that, but at the same time catered accommodation doesn't appeal to me as I prefer the independence of being in charge of your own food and meals etc

Tbh given the cost at Birmingham you’re better off getting accommodation provided independently of the uni in Selly Oak (or actually anywhere along the Redditch to University train line).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending