The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine in Bucharest, Romania

Hi, I am looking for help on the admissions procedure and deadlines for applying to study medicine in Bucharest. There is little and confusing information on the university's website and speaking to someone in their admissions team proved to be a costly and futile exercise.
I am appealing to current international students, maybe you could share your experience.
You do realize that you'll have to learn Romanian ?
The uni might actually be quite good but coming to Romania clearly isn't a good idea , there is a reason why Romanian doctors are leaving to work in western countries. Trust me I am from Romania , you wouldn't want to deal with the corruption from our health system and having to learn Romanian, which as far as I know from others is hard to learn, just to go back to your home country seems like a rather bad idea. My honest advice is to find another country to study in.
Reply 2
Thank you Andrei. The option to study in Eastern Europe is really an insurance in case I am not successful in my application to study in the UK.
There is only a 2-year window when you can apply to study medicine here, and if unsuccessful during this time, the only other option would be to study for at least 3 years a health related degree and apply as a graduate. Even then it is very hard to get a place.
So yes, Romania is an option and since my parents are from Romania, it would make a lot of sense for me to study there.
The application process requires you to go and take a chemistry and biology exam at the University you are applying to, somewhere at the end of July. You will get accepted by the scores of the exams combined. The students from Romania are applying for university only after they get their Baccalaureate results, at the beggining of July. So the only thing you have to do before then is practicing for the Chem and Bio exams :smile: I would get some preparatory books for those if I were you. Indeed, there are a lot of issues with the medical system and the government, but the country is extremely beautiful! It is also a billion times more affordable than the UK, in terms of the student buget, and there are plenty of opportunities to study abroad for a semester or two, with scolarships if you have good grades. :biggrin: I'm a Romanian too, and I missed my country every day while I studied abroad for a few months :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by aerinslivermist
The application process requires you to go and take a chemistry and biology exam at the University you are applying to, somewhere at the end of July. You will get accepted by the scores of the exams combined. The students from Romania are applying for university only after they get their Baccalaureate results, at the beggining of July. So the only thing you have to do before then is practicing for the Chem and Bio exams :smile: I would get some preparatory books for those if I were you. Indeed, there are a lot of issues with the medical system and the government, but the country is extremely beautiful! It is also a billion times more affordable than the UK, in terms of the student buget, and there are plenty of opportunities to study abroad for a semester or two, with scolarships if you have good grades. :biggrin: I'm a Romanian too, and I missed my country every day while I studied abroad for a few months :smile:

Thank you for this. I was considering applying as a foreign student as only having my A levels in the UK this year, I will not have time to study for both types of exams. In addition you I will not have any certificate to prove I finished secondary education here, since A level results are not available until August and certificates are not released until October.

I perceive this will be a problem, not having a certificate to be able to apply with, whether I apply as Romanian or foreign student.
Not sure who can help me find this info anywhere!
Original post by lulal
Thank you for this. I was considering applying as a foreign student as only having my A levels in the UK this year, I will not have time to study for both types of exams. In addition you I will not have any certificate to prove I finished secondary education here, since A level results are not available until August and certificates are not released until October.I perceive this will be a problem, not having a certificate to be able to apply with, whether I apply as Romanian or foreign student. Not sure who can help me find this info anywhere!
Hi. I am currently having the same problem. I am in year 13 studying in the UK and wondering how i will apply without my A Level certificate. Have you applied? If so, how was the application process? And the entry exam? I would really appreciate it if you could help me out! Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Antonia Balint
Hi. I am currently having the same problem. I am in year 13 studying in the UK and wondering how i will apply without my A Level certificate. Have you applied? If so, how was the application process? And the entry exam? I would really appreciate it if you could help me out! Thank you!

Hi Antonia, I am pleased to help as I struggled a lot with the registration process myself. I am now in my first year at Carol Davila and I am really enjoying it. I enjoy it so much I am not sure whether I wish to resit my A levels and start the UK application process again.

You can apply without the certificates, you are required to provide a signed and stamped letter from your school, detailing the A levels taken (board for each and result). The letter must also state when the certificates will be issued (ie Dec of that year).
I am more than happy to give you a bit more info, if you are thinking of applying to Carol Davila. Otherwise I am afraid I have no experience and each uni has its own rules, as you can imagine.
Original post by lilfish
Hi Antonia, I am pleased to help as I struggled a lot with the registration process myself. I am now in my first year at Carol Davila and I am really enjoying it. I enjoy it so much I am not sure whether I wish to resit my A levels and start the UK application process again.

You can apply without the certificates, you are required to provide a signed and stamped letter from your school, detailing the A levels taken (board for each and result). The letter must also state when the certificates will be issued (ie Dec of that year).
I am more than happy to give you a bit more info, if you are thinking of applying to Carol Davila. Otherwise I am afraid I have no experience and each uni has its own rules, as you can imagine.

Thank you so so much!! The uni i want to apply to is Carol Davila for sure! I am so greatful for your response as i have been struggling to find answers to my questions!
I was just wondering about the entry exam? Was it difficult? And was there any chemistry/biology? There is some conflicting information around the internet!
Also, as the application deadline is in July and i get my A level results in August will the signed letter from my school have my predicted grades?
Thank you so much!
(edited 5 years ago)
Antonia did u managed to aply? My cousin is having the same problem
Hi, im applying through Medlink students. Applying by myself just seemed impossible to do.
How is your cousin doing?

Original post by Lavinia21
Antonia did u managed to aply? My cousin is having the same problem
Reply 10
Original post by lilfish

hello. my name is gracious and im supposed to start my first year at carol davila faculty of medicine. ive paid my full years' tuition fees but its the visa that is being delayed. and im quite nervous about the entire thing because it seems like i would miss at least the first week of classes. i wanted to know if u do anything major in classes during the first week?
also will the school consider the fact that ive been late due to delay in my visa processing?
what about accomodation? so little is given on the school website.

i also wanted to know about the academic calendar and the way the classes are held? just a little description would help me a lot

maybe we might run into eachother when i begin. Thank you so much
Reply 11
Original post by Ohina
hello. my name is gracious and im supposed to start my first year at carol davila faculty of medicine. ive paid my full years' tuition fees but its the visa that is being delayed. and im quite nervous about the entire thing because it seems like i would miss at least the first week of classes. i wanted to know if u do anything major in classes during the first week?
also will the school consider the fact that ive been late due to delay in my visa processing?
what about accomodation? so little is given on the school website.

i also wanted to know about the academic calendar and the way the classes are held? just a little description would help me a lot

maybe we might run into eachother when i begin. Thank you so much

Hi Gracious,

Welcome to Romania! Be prepared for anything that can go wrong to go wrong!
I do not believe you will have a problem starting a bit later than the rest of your colleagues. The worst that may happen is that you may have to recover one or two "lab" sessions. This can be arranged later with the lab leader.

On accommodation - there may be some uni accommodation available. If not, you may have to find something privately. There should be plenty private rentings available on the market, this should not be a big problem. I realise it may be daunting in a foreign country...

I attach a copy of the year planner, just in case you do not have it yet.

Pls let me know if you have any specific questions
Reply 12
Original post by lilfish
Hi Gracious,

Welcome to Romania! Be prepared for anything that can go wrong to go wrong!
I do not believe you will have a problem starting a bit later than the rest of your colleagues. The worst that may happen is that you may have to recover one or two "lab" sessions. This can be arranged later with the lab leader.

On accommodation - there may be some uni accommodation available. If not, you may have to find something privately. There should be plenty private rentings available on the market, this should not be a big problem. I realise it may be daunting in a foreign country...

I attach a copy of the year planner, just in case you do not have it yet.

Pls let me know if you have any specific questions

Wow. U have really helped me calm down a bit. Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it.
I currently love in kuwait, I just wanted to know if getting the study Visa usually takes this long. Its been over a month already.
Also I can complete the registration as soon as I get there right?
I'm sorry about asking too many questions . It's just that they give little information on their website 🙂✌
Reply 13
Original post by lilfish
Hi, I am a year13 student aspiring to apply to Carol Davila for Medicine. I was also confused about the July deadline being before our A-level results day. I'm glad you're enjoying it there, gives me more a reason to apply there! Could you also give me a bit more info in regards to applying to Carol Davila, and how studying there feels?

Quick Reply

Latest