The Student Room Group

It's 2017, Do I need to go and learn Spanish?

Each time I stick on MTV or something and listen to the Top 10 or Top 20 chart songs it seems like so much songs are in Spanish or have Spanish in them these days. Sometimes it's like 20-25%

I'm getting annoyed at not knowing what the hell they're singing about. For a long time I was like what the flying **** is a despacito .....until I finally gave in to googling it seeing as they play that song literally 24/7

why is so much songs in spanish these days?
yeah the songs are catchy, but do most of you here actually understand what's being said without some babblefish app

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Literally one is Spanish so dramatic and the stupidest post ever
Latino-themed music is just a trend right now. It'll pass.
Well yeah, I understand them, but being a native Spanish speaker that would be expected.
Spanish?pfft 2 overrated....just like English. Learn the Zulu tribe language. That should be fun.
Reply 5
Original post by ajayma
Literally one is Spanish so dramatic and the stupidest post ever

whens the last time you watched the charts?

A noticeable amount are in spanish or have spanish in them. Maybe you don't have a TV or something.....
I listen to radio for music, honestly only three Spanish songs have been uk hits this year and UK radio only plays the versions with an English speaking featured artist on them.
Reply 7
off the top of my head despacito, some enrique englasis song, camelo cabela's song, and kent jones [don't mind] ...all have spanish in them

and there are several others i don't know the name too. Definitely more than 3 songs in the chart this year with spanish

Original post by shawn_o1
I listen to radio for music, honestly only three Spanish songs have been uk hits this year and UK radio only plays the versions with an English speaking featured artist on them.
Reply 8
Good luck learning it, Spanish speakers talk very fast
Original post by ANM775
I'm getting annoyed at not knowing what the hell they're singing about.

Now you know what literally every other non-English speaking country feels like when their charts are completely jam packed with English songs..
Reply 10
There are loads of spanish songs which have broke into the charts this year, it's so much more than 3, here's another well known spanish song which gets played a lot

You must literally be living under a rock if you haven't heard this

Reply 11
just seen a new video from ed sheeran singing in what looks like African on MTV right now. It will surely enter the charts..........

In 2017 if you only know english and want to listen to UK charts you now need a babblefish app it seems..........lol
Reply 12
demi lavato with that despacito guy singing a spanish song called chama la cupa just played on MTV

it will surely chart soon as well

no idea what they're singing about, i think la might be the from my limited spanish but that's it........
Reply 13
I dunno if you 'need' to, but it's nice to go do it anyway.
Reply 14
Dimelo just played on MTV new entry at number two

man is not exaggerating about this all this spanish stuff, it's literally invaded the UK charts lol
There’s definitely a Spanish trend right now, and I must say I’m loving it.

Regards learning Spanish solely to understand music, I’m not convinced it’s worth it to be honest. I’m doing AS Spanish at the moment, and I got A* at GCSE, but I still find Spanish music quite hard to grasp (and I listen to quite a bit of it). The lyrics are usually pretty fast, the pronunciation is often bent to fit the melody and the grammar sometimes gets modified too to preserve the rhyming and syllables. Quite a few times now I’ve found myself asking my Spanish tutor about certain grammatical structures I’ve encountered in music, and she usually tells me it’s a stylistic choice to fit the music, rather than an example of good Spanish.

So in short, I’d only recommend learning it if you have a genuine interest and commitment to the language.
Original post by ANM775
Each time I stick on MTV or something and listen to the Top 10 or Top 20 chart songs it seems like so much songs are in Spanish or have Spanish in them these days. Sometimes it's like 20-25%

I'm getting annoyed at not knowing what the hell they're singing about. For a long time I was like what the flying **** is a despacito .....until I finally gave in to googling it seeing as they play that song literally 24/7

why is so much songs in spanish these days?
yeah the songs are catchy, but do most of you here actually understand what's being said without some babblefish app

International music has, is and will always be there. Majority of music is US and UK though, especially if you're in those countries. I have always liked the odd Eurovision songs or some Korean stuff and 50%+ have the odd English lyric. Learning Spanish for some music is a bit much unless you really love it all or want to have a career relating too it
Reply 17
Original post by Citizenofpanem
There’s definitely a Spanish trend right now, and I must say I’m loving it.

Regards learning Spanish solely to understand music, I’m not convinced it’s worth it to be honest. I’m doing AS Spanish at the moment, and I got A* at GCSE, but I still find Spanish music quite hard to grasp (and I listen to quite a bit of it). The lyrics are usually pretty fast, the pronunciation is often bent to fit the melody and the grammar sometimes gets modified too to preserve the rhyming and syllables. Quite a few times now I’ve found myself asking my Spanish tutor about certain grammatical structures I’ve encountered in music, and she usually tells me it’s a stylistic choice to fit the music, rather than an example of good Spanish.

So in short, I’d only recommend learning it if you have a genuine interest and commitment to the language.

Original post by Chichaldo
International music has, is and will always be there. Majority of music is US and UK though, especially if you're in those countries. I have always liked the odd Eurovision songs or some Korean stuff and 50%+ have the odd English lyric. Learning Spanish for some music is a bit much unless you really love it all or want to have a career relating too it

Last year when I had flatmates almost the whole house spoke spanish, and all their friends spoke spanish too. Sometimes they'd invite me out with them and much of the time I didn't have a clue what they were saying cause they were speaking in spanish, they definitely prefered it to english .. eventually one of them said to me in a jokey way that i am gonna have to learn some spanish if i'm hanging out with them [as i was left out of a lot on the convo's]

they told me to go say "ola wapa" to some girl in the group, but i wouldn't cause i was suspicious it was something bad ....but i eventually learned it wasn't

eventually i got so fed up of struggling with conversations i opened up google and typed in learn spanish and ended up on some bbc page and learn't a few words........ but my contract was up so soon left the house and moved very far away, since then i've had no need for spanish so stopped learning and forgot most of the words i know ....but now i'm seeing spanish all over the charts and understanding like 1 word of each song lol due to my limited spanish

most of the song i'm like: non entiendo [probably spelt that wrong]
(edited 6 years ago)
You should listen to Enrique Iglesias
You should learn Russian or Arabic instead.

Quick Reply

Latest