The Student Room Group

A levels and Uni

Hello, i will start a levels next year and my options are : Economics, law and sociology. I want to apply for a law degree at uni and my question is:
Can I get into uni with my a levels ? I don’t see any subject requirements on uni sites but a teacher told me that they might require something else for law like chemistry and maths .
Thank you !
I don't think you need to, I was told they prefer essay based subjects so idk why your teacher said chemistry or maths??
Reply 2
Original post by moonswooning
I don't think you need to, I was told they prefer essay based subjects so idk why your teacher said chemistry or maths??

Because these subjects are hard and challenging. I think
Reply 3
But are my a levels good then ?
Original post by Dume
But are my a levels good then ?

I think as long as you get good grades in the it'll be fine yes
What are your grades atm?
Reply 6
Original post by Appleorpear
What are your grades atm?

Well it s a bit different I am a “special case” I came in the uk in year 12 but my Exams (I had 9/10 at most of them) from my country have not been recognised as gcse here in the uk so I haven’t been accepted to a levels. Because of this situation I m now doing a maths gcse and an English exam functional skills 2. A level team accepted to take me for next year course.
School has nt ever been hard for me I always got great grades
Original post by Dume
Well it s a bit different I am a “special case” I came in the uk in year 12 but my Exams (I had 9/10 at most of them) from my country have not been recognised as gcse here in the uk so I haven’t been accepted to a levels. Because of this situation I m now doing a maths gcse and an English exam functional skills 2. A level team accepted to take me for next year course.
School has nt ever been hard for me I always got great grades

Maybe would reccomend switching one of your subjects to a harder one if you want to go to a top university for Law. Your subjects are seen as "soft subjects", meaning they are easier than a subject like Chemistry or Maths. Especially law.
Reply 8
Original post by Appleorpear
Maybe would reccomend switching one of your subjects to a harder one if you want to go to a top university for Law. Your subjects are seen as "soft subjects", meaning they are easier than a subject like Chemistry or Maths. Especially law.

Which subjects are considered “harder” and which are the top universities ?
maths and the sciences are seen as the hardest four
Original post by Dume
Which subjects are considered “harder” and which are the top universities ?

Maths, sciences.

When looking at the top ones you'll likely be told russel group unis (and bath) and look at law specifically as a subject (different unis are good for different subjects so don't look at the general pnes) on a website like topukunis. But when you inevitably do, bear in mind some unis will be ranked lower due to low student satisfaction but that isn't really a factor for the prestige of it, so if you're looking at the prestige of a course then I'd think about how important it is. There's a reason London unis have terrible satisfaction ratings and if you hate uni you'll do worse so it can be worth bearing in mind.

But generally accepted is Cambrdige/Oxford/LSE are the very top ones (LSE is fractionally behind Oxbridge but still good one of the best, which is why I put it there).

Quick Reply

Latest