The Student Room Group

My friends speak another language.

I have 4 Spanish friends (who also speak English) who are also friends with each other. Whenever I am with them, they talk to each other in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and feel really excluded whenever they talk to each other in Spanish when I'm around. Everybody knows that I'm not involved in the conversation, and I can't contribute in any way as I don't know the language. I told my friend about how I felt, but he compared to him and his Spanish friends talking about Football in English, saying that I wouldn't understand a lot about it (because I'm not a massive football fan). Challenging this however, I feel I could contribute to the conversation, and it wouldn't be completely excluding as it wouldn't be in another language.

Am I wrong in getting frustrated about this? We are living in the UK by the way.
Nah I would be annoyed too.
nah i'd be annoyed too, i have 2 italian housemates who obviously speak to each other in italian, but when they're with me they're are considerate and speak in english so i can understand, your friends shouldn't be excluding you, i'd talk to them again
Do you not think this is a good time to learn Spanish?
havent they heard of language called 'English'?
they are ur friends and they really shouldnt be excluding u like that, so i get why u would be fustrated by that, the whole point of a group of friends, is that each and every ones of yous fit in, not just 3 and forget the other guy, thats harsh and unfair. U should tell them
They don't sound like considerate friends tbh. Tell them to f*ck off if they continue with that kinda bs excuse for leaving you out. You can always find better friends than them lot.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
eh i understand it can get annoying.. but just tell them again or something idk your friends m8

maybe they dont want you to hear lol
Reply 8
Find new friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Djerun
I have 4 Spanish friends (who also speak English) who are also friends with each other. Whenever I am with them, they talk to each other in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and feel really excluded whenever they talk to each other in Spanish when I'm around.

I think this is extremely rude. Surely it's just common courtesy to speak in the language that everyone present understands, if there is one.

If one of the Spanish guys didn't speak English that would be different.
Reply 10
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Are they really your friends if they often exclude you from the conversation?

If they are actually your friends, then of course you are right to be frustrated about it - but if they don't see you as a friend, then they are probably just giving you a hint to go away.

No we are genuine friends, and we branch off into smaller groups to do stuff together. Think I need to have a talk with them, one of them understands
Original post by Djerun
No we are genuine friends, and we branch off into smaller groups to do stuff together. Think I need to have a talk with them, one of them understands

I agree
It is a bit selfish but it’s their native language
Have you picked up any Spanish yet?
Reply 12
Original post by Sammylou40
I agree
It is a bit selfish but it’s their native language
Have you picked up any Spanish yet?

Some odd words that do not allow me to form a sentence :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending