The Student Room Group

How to get an A in AS level Chemistry ?

Any tips?
revise
Original post by Ray_Shadows
revise

OMG thanks
Reply 3
Get your maths nailed! If u can get to the stage where u consistently get full marks on moles and gas questions you’re laughing. And also don’t underestimate the importance of the practical work you do you could be asked about titrations, preparing a standard solution etc.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 4
Yea I think this guy is 100% right, I am doing AS chemistry at the moment and I was constantly getting bad marks on mathsy questions as they are confusing unless your practice them. As you constantly practice you'll see the general pattern on how to approach them. Once you can do them easily which I've been able to do now now because I've practiced so many questions on them the rest of chemistry to be honest is just memory lane. Inorganic and organic just memory so yeah just revise and learn the process for those sections. Some good places for questions are A level chemistry and physics and maths tutor.

Original post by APN1
Get your maths nailed! If u can get to the stage where u consistently get full marks on moles and gas questions you’re laughing. And also don’t underestimate the importance of the practical work you do you could be asked about titrations, preparing a standard solution etc.

Reply 5
Just wondering by the way have you finished AS chemistry? I would like to know if what I'm saying is true for A2 also.

Original post by APN1

I sat my AS Level exams last year and came out with an A in chemistry (which I'm taking this year as well).

One of the most important things you can do is past papers! I cannot stress this enough tbh. It doesn't matter if they're old spec, legacy, specimen or new spec, do them all! (Maybe not all but you get my gist) Practice and application are so important in these exams. You can know the textbook word for word and still get a D if you don't know how to apply knowledge. The mark schemes can also be quite picky so getting used to them is invaluable in knowing what you need to put to get the marks. I know it can be disheartening if you get bad grades in practice papers and tests but making mistakes is the best thing you can do! I find I remember my mistakes better than my successes so use these failures to know what not to do next time. Trust me I think I only got one A in mock papers and the rest were a jumble of everything from B to U.

I found flashcards were a life saver. They can be tedious to make but even the process of making them is revision. Yeah you can find them premade online but that kind of defeats the point. Once you've made them, you can test yourself constantly! It really helps in getting facts, equations, definitions and formulas in your head and will be great for year 2 as well and last minute revision before the exam if you go blank and forget the trend in melting points across group 3!

I rarely used mindmaps or diagrams personally however I did find diagrams very useful for mechanisms. I'd draw out a perfect example of nucleophilic subsitution, hide it and try to redraw from memory over and over again until it was almost second nature! I also made up a little song I'd sing to myself in the exam to remember the mechanisms and while it was quite embarrassing, it worked!

When it to came closer to the exam, I'd split each part into smaller topics and then try to condense each of these topics onto one A4 sheet, cutting out any waffle and keeping the good stuff. If I went over a page, time to start again! This will help you focus on what you need and what is unnecessary information.

Hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!
Reply 7
Original post by smaiu
Just wondering by the way have you finished AS chemistry? I would like to know if what I'm saying is true for A2 also.

I have finished AS achieving an A. A2 is even more maths heavy, the physical chemistry section (half of the year) is almost all calculations some of which can be quite challenging.
Hi there! Hope you are enjoying your studies in A Level Chemistry at the moment.

As a representative of Medic Mind, I'm happy to announce that we have many useful resources for all A Level students, covering Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Mathematics! We have FREE Revision Notes on our website for anyone to access, along with with a past paper bank and solutions, to ensure all the question types are ingrained before mocks and final exams!

Revision Notes: (GCSE, AS and A2) Biology, Chemistry and Economics
Past Paper Bank with Model Solutions (Exam Boards Covering: OCR A, B and Old, AQA and AQA Old, Edexcel A, B and Old and WJEC England and Old): Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics

Check us out here, and contact us for further information regarding our resources and tutoring in general!
http://www.medicmind.co.uk/resources.html

Dhaval - Medic Mind Tutor
Voted UK's Best Medical Start Up 2017 🏆
www.medicmind.co.uk/interview
Reply 9
Original post by Medic Mind
Hi there! Hope you are enjoying your studies in A Level Chemistry at the moment.

Hi, please stop cross-posting the same information across multiple threads. Thanks.
Reply 10
- chemrevise
- a-levelchemistry.co.uk
- calculations for as/a level chemistry by Jim Clark
- chemguide
- your textbook
- print checklist of specification

- past paper

Quick Reply

Latest