The Student Room Group

Daily Riddle 7 (fastest answer wins)

A homicide detective is called at a crime scene. A man is lying dead in front of an abandoned building. It is believed that the man jumped out of a window off the abandoned building and committed suicide.

The detective asks his team to collect evidence and he heads towards the building. He goes to the first floor and towards the room that is on the front side. Inside the room, he lights a cigarette, walks towards the window facing the dead body, opens the window and throws out the cigarette. He then goes to the second floor and repeats the same process.

He keeps doing the same thing till he is done with all the floors and then takes the lift to the ground floor. Upon reaching there, he informs the team that it is not a suicide but a murder.

How did he know that it was a not a suicide?

Scroll to see replies

Cause dead bodies can't close windows.
Reply 2
Original post by knowyourrole
A homicide detective is called at a crime scene. A man is lying dead in front of an abandoned building. It is believed that the man jumped out of a window off the abandoned building and committed suicide.

The detective asks his team to collect evidence and he heads towards the building. He goes to the first floor and towards the room that is on the front side. Inside the room, he lights a cigarette, walks towards the window facing the dead body, opens the window and throws out the cigarette. He then goes to the second floor and repeats the same process.

He keeps doing the same thing till he is done with all the floors and then takes the lift to the ground floor. Upon reaching there, he informs the team that it is not a suicide but a murder.

How can it be a suicide if the window was closed? Someone threw him out and closed it??
You only know the first floor window is closed. It doesn't say anything about the other floors just that he "repeats" the process of throwing the cigarette out the window.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by knowyourrole

Upon reaching each room, he found out that the window facing the dead body was closed. He had to open the window himself. This tells that there was somebody else with him who closed the window. If he would have committed suicide, at least one window would have been open.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by markovchain17
You only know the first floor window is closed. It doesn't say anything about the other floors just that he "repeats" the process of throwing the cigarette out the window.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This
What if the person closed the window behind them before they jumped?

Plot twist
Original post by Bill Nye
What if the person closed the window behind them before they jumped?

Plot twist

Could be possible but most windows have a handle that can only be closed from the inside.
Could be possible but most windows have a handle that can only be closed from the inside.

What if they got someone to close the window behind them for some strange reason?

Someone could also shatter the glass too? :tongue:
And how could the detective take the lift if the building is abandoned? Surely it would have no power, and wouldn't move?
What if the man was trying to get in by climbing up the side of the building on pipes, bricks etc and fell, and didn't go inside in the first place?

What if he found his way onto the roof, and didn't go through the window at all?
(edited 6 years ago)
And how could the detective take the lift if the building is abandoned? Surely it would have no power, and wouldn't move?

Hes a detective which means he has special powers? :h:. He can make the lift work automatically?

Spoiler

Original post by MiszShortee786
Hes a detective which means he has special powers? :h:. He can make the lift work automatically?

Spoiler

I am now
What if the man was trying to get in my climbing up the side and fell, and didn't go inside in the first place?

What if he found his way onto the roof, and didn't go through the window?

I'm guessing from the blood splatter and the way body is lying they can usually tell how far they fell and if they jumped or fell backwards. No point applying real world investigation methods to a riddle :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's a recently abandoned building, the lift could still work I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What if they got someone to close the window behind them for some strange reason?

Yup. Just swab the handle for DNA or fingerprints. The detective shouldn't be messing with a crime scene like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MiszShortee786
Someone could also shatter the glass too? :tongue:

Sadly we don't know if the glass is shattered or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup. Just swab the handle for DNA or fingerprints. The detective shouldn't be messing with a crime scene like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon this detectives lying.

Was having fun until I googled the answer, and it is what you all said.

Meh, I tried
I reckon this detectives lying.

Was having fun until I googled the answer, and it is what you all said.

Meh, I tried

I mean it's not a completely wrong answer. It's just ambiguous that by adding the red herring of throwing the cigarette out, this creates ambiguity as to what "process" he is repeating on each floor. Is he opening windows and throwing out a cigarette, or just throwing out a cigarette regardless of the windows open or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest