The Student Room Group

Can't find a job after finishing my law degree

I didn't do my LPC because I know real life experience is better than an LPC. I want to go through the paralegal route instead and I'm not loking forward to going back to uni and paying 15k. I have been applying to around 100 jobs, got a call from 2 places( paralegal role). In one of them, I got rejected because of lack of experience and on the other, I rejected the offer for being too far away from me. Currently, I don't have standards as to where I will be working. I did do internship at a barrister firm and volunteered while at uni part time working at court.

I live in a small city so no legal jobs around at all. I will relocate too.

currently working as a telesales agent...

Do you guys know where I should be heading? I really want to stay within law. it seems less likely as the days go on..
Original post by Ketchuplover
I didn't do my LPC because I know real life experience is better than an LPC. I want to go through the paralegal route instead and I'm not loking forward to going back to uni and paying 15k. I have been applying to around 100 jobs, got a call from 2 places( paralegal role). In one of them, I got rejected because of lack of experience and on the other, I rejected the offer for being too far away from me. Currently, I don't have standards as to where I will be working. I did do internship at a barrister firm and volunteered while at uni part time working at court.

Do you guys know where I should be heading? I really want to stay within law. it seems less likely as the days go on..

I have moved this into the Jobs section, hopefully you will get some advice here.

Is there anywhere you could get further voluntary experience in the meantime, whilst you continue to look? If lack of experience has been brought up as an issue then it might be sensible to expand that.

It does sound promising if you were offered something though, even if you did have to reject it - as frustrating as it gets, perseverance really is key, at least as it stands now. Keep going with your applications, and make sure they're as good a quality as they can be, highlighting the experience you have, and your passion for the role you're applying for.
Original post by shadowdweller
Is there anywhere you could get further voluntary experience in the meantime, whilst you continue to look? If lack of experience has been brought up as an issue then it might be sensible to expand that.

It does sound promising if you were offered something though, even if you did have to reject it - as frustrating as it gets, perseverance really is key, at least as it stands now. Keep going with your applications, and make sure they're as good a quality as they can be, highlighting the experience you have, and your passion for the role you're applying for.

hi, thanks for the reply. the ones that called me didn't require a law degree but were paralegal jobs so i was applying to jobs that i was overqualified for because of lack of experience and not doing the LPC course. so it could be that.

I just haven't had someone look at my cv properly and I need to get some opinions. Any ideas where I can get that?
hi, thanks for the reply. the ones that called me didn't require a law degree but were paralegal jobs so i was applying to jobs that i was overqualified for because of lack of experience and not doing the LPC course. so it could be that.

I just haven't had someone look at my cv properly and I need to get some opinions. Any ideas where I can get that?

How long ago did you qualify? It's possible that your university will still be able to offer you a CV review, as some do :smile:

We also have a CV Help section here where you'd be able to get advice from other members :yep:
Original post by shadowdweller
How long ago did you qualify? It's possible that your university will still be able to offer you a CV review, as some do :smile:

We also have a CV Help section here where you'd be able to get advice from other members :yep:

I graduated in 2017 January. Thanks, I will have a look.
I graduated in 2017 January. Thanks, I will have a look.

Best of luck!
Some LPCs are encased in MAs/LLMs and so attract SLC funding. Hence, you may not need to pay out of your own pocket for the LPC. The LPC will increase the chances of getting paralegal work and while studying, if you don't retain your current job, you could take up more legal work experience. A good one is Citizens Advice, which often overlaps with the standard of work a legal executive/paralegal or even a solicitor would be completing.

If you do want to work in law, being dormant is the worst thing to do. Over time, you will settle for your lot.

Quick Reply

Latest