The Student Room Group

Whats the point if functional group level analysis?

I tried googling this but only stuff about finctional groups came up nothing about functional froup levels.Whats the point of knowing what functional group level something has?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous1502
I tried googling this but only stuff about finctional groups came up nothing about functional froup levels.Whats the point of knowing what functional group level something has?

Are you drunk?
Reply 2
http://bfy.tw/FXhY

Literally the first link (the Villiers Park link) explains the point of it.
Original post by Pigster
Are you drunk?

No,Im really tired.I found that link but it didnt say whats the point of functional group levels,if I know something is level 2 how is that of use?
Reply 4
No,Im really tired.I found that link but it didnt say whats the point of functional group levels,if I know something is level 2 how is that of use?

I understand that changes to FGL are just an easy way of spotting reduction and oxidation. The levels themselves are less important.
Original post by Pigster
http://bfy.tw/FXhY

Literally the first link (the Villiers Park link) explains the point of it.

NVM I looked at it and I missed the last line on page 4.
Original post by Pigster
I understand that changes to FGL are just an easy way of spotting reduction and oxidation. The levels themselves are less important.

So it just tells you if in the reaction there is hydrolysis,oxidation etc.How does the level change if there is a carbon nucleophile reaction?
Reply 7
So it just tells you if in the reaction there is hydrolysis,oxidation etc.How does the level change if there is a carbon nucleophile reaction?

Addition or substitution?

What do you think?
Original post by Pigster
Addition or substitution?

What do you think?

I dont know that's why I am asking.
Reply 9
I dont know that's why I am asking.

Classic nucleophilic substitution: chloromethane to methanol. What is the change in FGL?

Classic nucleophilic addition: methanal to hydroxymethanitrile. What is the change in FGL?
Original post by Pigster
Classic nucleophilic substitution: chloromethane to methanol. What is the change in FGL?

Classic nucleophilic addition: methanal to hydroxymethanitrile. What is the change in FGL?

I didnt learn this,I just went to acambridge master class about group functional level analysis and the guy didnt explain it well and I have to make a presentation about it at school :/
Have another look at that Villiers Park link, find the functional groups I've just mentioned (they are, in the order I just mentioned alkyl halide, alcohol, aldehyde alcohol/nitrile together).

There is another classic nuc. add. - aldehyde to alcohol. But that is an unusual one in terms of FGL change.

Quick Reply