The Student Room Group

A level sciences

I got C's in all my sciences core and additional except for 1 b in additional physics.
I don't believe I struggle with science as I was always 1 or 2 marks off a B except for chemistry which I was off by 3 (core).
I think the majority of the reason I haven't got the grades I wanted was due to lack of timekeeping. I feel like I improved upon this as my science grades increased across the exam season.
I want to know is there anyway I can redo my gcse science so I could study them at a level next year in particular biology and chemistry.
Original post by Ambiguous 10
I got C's in all my sciences core and additional except for 1 b in additional physics.
I don't believe I struggle with science as I was always 1 or 2 marks off a B except for chemistry which I was off by 3 (core).
I think the majority of the reason I haven't got the grades I wanted was due to lack of timekeeping. I feel like I improved upon this as my science grades increased across the exam season.
I want to know is there anyway I can redo my gcse science so I could study them at a level next year in particular biology and chemistry.

The final resit opportunity for the old specification is in January. This probably doesn't leave you enough time to prepare. You may have to sit the new 9-1 specification June next year.
What would you say the main differences are between new spec and old?
Reply 3
What would you say the main differences are between new spec and old?

There aren't GCSEs in Science and Additional Science any more, you can do a 2 GCSE sized Combined Science or individual Sciences (e.g. Biology).

The new spec has harder content but I suspect the grade boundaries may be lower.
Okay thanks for letting me know
Would I be able to choose what exam to sit such as only additional chemistry or would I have to do the entire additional.Abd if so would i keep my best grade if I do wirse in a different one.Finally,would I have to redo my coursework?
Reply 6
Would I be able to choose what exam to sit such as only additional chemistry or would I have to do the entire additional.Abd if so would i keep my best grade if I do wirse in a different one.Finally,would I have to redo my coursework?

Are you asking about re-sitting the outgoing specifications? For OCR the last chance was November. For AQA and Edexcel there is a last chance in January but you'd now be paying very late fees (2-3 times the original cost) as the main entry deadline was 21 October. You can carry forward the controlled assessment mark.

If you're asking about the 9-1 GCSEs then they have no controlled assessment and you can't carry anything forward - you have to take the whole GCSE.

You get a new certificate with the new grade on but you also have the old certificate with the old grade on so you have both.
(edited 6 years ago)
Okay I appreciate you're input in this as it's very beneficial and influential in what I'm planning to do.
I'm not happy with any of my science results so I'd probably consider redoing the GCSE.I'm planning on taking Biology and chemistry at A level next year.
So would you say taking Biology and chemistry separately is a good idea?As I'm not considering doing physics.

Quick Reply

Latest