lauren778
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I think this is just another political tantrum between the remainers and the leavers. It makes more sense for there not to be a hard border here, seeing as a soft border has worked for the past 20 years (give or take). It’s also not realistic, seeing as the border runs through property, fields, roads etc. How would you police that? Who would pay for it? Would it even be effective? I highly doubt that a hard border will be reinstated. I do think though that Theresa May has to become more vocal for Northern Ireland. After all, she is the prime minister of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lauren778)
I think this is just another political tantrum between the remainers and the leavers. It makes more sense for there not to be a hard border here, seeing as a soft border has worked for the past 20 years (give or take). It’s also not realistic, seeing as the border runs through property, fields, roads etc. How would you police that? Who would pay for it? Would it even be effective? I highly doubt that a hard border will be reinstated. I do think though that Theresa May has to become more vocal for Northern Ireland. After all, she is the prime minister of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.
Well once the UK breaks off then customs becomes an issue and there will be smuggling.

The DUP have decided for NI to get special treatment is a step to being treated differently from the rest of the UK as a precursor to being moved back to Eire. Its political and nothing to d with remainers and leavers. Its about Ireland.

Its not for Ireland to dictate to the UK what the UK can do on its own territory. they are scared the UK will start importing cheaper foodstocks from around the world instead of expensive Irish ones.
lauren778
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Well once the UK breaks off then customs becomes an issue and there will be smuggling.

The DUP have decided for NI to get special treatment is a step to being treated differently from the rest of the UK as a precursor to being moved back to Eire. Its political and nothing to d with remainers and leavers. Its about Ireland.

Its not for Ireland to dictate to the UK what the UK can do on its own territory. they are scared the UK will start importing cheaper foodstocks from around the world instead of expensive Irish ones.
I completely agree with you when you say the UK is free to do what they want on their own territory. It’s a free world. But surely trying to fix something that isn’t broken is superfluous? I also have to agree with you that it is now a political issue, which was inevitable as this is something that affects Northern Ireland. In my opinion, a hard border will only deepen the divide in Northern Ireland and hinder the unique relationship we have with the ROI. I am of Catholic Irish heritage, but I hold a British passport as well as an Irish passport. I was born in Northern Ireland and personally see myself as Northern Irish. If there was a referendum, I would vote no to the 32 counties being reunited, for economic reasons. I understand where the DUP is coming from however and I do respect their argument. Personally, I would have voted remain in the EU. 😊
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want Irish reunification.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
Cool, the majority of those in NI don’t though
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’re delusional... you want anger every Irishman?
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Polls are not all that credible right now..and circumstances can change very fast- Southern Ireland is changing fast too.

And, Scotland may leave the union.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How exactly are they 'dictating' anything?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
How exactly are they 'dictating' anything?
Threatening to collapse talks unless there issue was dealt with there and then. It would be impossible to have made a workable solution until you know the shape of the deal , which would be after talks. Only then would you know the exact nature of the problem.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Threatening to collapse talks unless there issue was dealt with there and then. It would be impossible to have made a workable solution until you know the shape of the deal , which would be after talks. Only then would you know the exact nature of the problem.
I wouldnt call being petulent the same as dictating anything and in fairness anybody who cared to listen to the EU or Ireland knew this was coming.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
I wouldnt call being petulent the same as dictating anything and in fairness anybody who cared to listen to the EU or Ireland knew this was coming.
I will agree to differ. there was no need to attempt to collapse the talks at that stage. More cut your nose off to spite your face. Dont think your last point amounts to much.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Polls are not all that credible right now..and circumstances can change very fast- Southern Ireland is changing fast too.

And, Scotland may leave the union.
You said Le Pen would win the French Presidency and that the polls were wrong.

You don't know what you're talking about.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
You said Le Pen would win the French Presidency and that the polls were wrong.

You don't know what you're talking about.
I got one wrong, and Trump and Corbyn right.

That has me above the rest of you that said, along with pollsters, that Labour would get slaughtered and Hillary would win.

You can look it up.

All I'm saying is circumstances are changing very fast with Ireland, I did not say it would happen right away or definitely, but I certainly see the opportunity for a massive swing.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually I oscillate on NI. Reason says United Ireland, heart says stay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads