The Student Room Group

Tattooed professionals... Yay or Nay?

Do tattoos still put people off? are they regarded as unprofessional? Would you consider a tattoed professional more down to earth or would you perhaps even be more comfortable with one?

Any thoughts on how societies views of tattooed individuals are shifting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dont think they are unprofessional, aslong as your shirt can cover them , its fine.
Reply 2
Original post by No$feratu
I dont think they are unprofessional, aslong as your shirt can cover them , its fine.

So do you think then that being able to see the tattoos is the issue? Would your opinions change based on professions? Say for example you went to the doctors and noticed a tattoo poking out from their sleeve compared with being in the bank or in a shop or at an IT firm?

Does your opinion vary based on whether you know someone has a tattoo? if they're covered you wouldn't know but do they really need to be covered... is it actually unprofessional in todays society?
Reply 3
Personally i would never get one in a place that it could not be covered by clothes , i have a few tattoos but i made sure to keep them above my wrist. If i saw a doctor or any other professional with a tattoo , it wouldn’t really change my opinion on them, but i feel like society probably will see them as being “rebellious” or “edgy” , therefore i feel like if i was to attend an interview for a professional job, with a visible tattoo then it could hinder my chance of getting that job. Also i think what tattoo you get has an influence on how people perceive you.
Reply 4
Personally i would never get one in a place that it could not be covered by clothes , i have a few tattoos but i made sure to keep them above my wrist. If i saw a doctor or any other professional with a tattoo , it wouldn’t really change my opinion on them, but i feel like society probably will see them as being “rebellious” or “edgy” , therefore i feel like if i was to attend an interview for a professional job, with a visible tattoo then it could hinder my chance of getting that job. Also i think what tattoo you get has an influence on how people perceive you.

Excellent points! I myself also have a half sleeve which is easily covered when I need it! I don't think tattoos would ever affect my perceptions of an individual given that it does not alter their ability to carry out any tasks etc. I still find it fascinating to hear from people who find the practice unsatisfactory though! In thus day and age I think they are becoming much more accepted and we are heading in the right direction which pleases me greatly! Plenty more planned for me too :colone:
When all of us older folks are gone it will most likely become commonplace to see employees with visible tattoos.
I don't mind, to me it's the personality that counts, not necessarily the looks.
Reply 7
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
When all of us older folks are gone it will most likely become commonplace to see employees with visible tattoos.

I don't think it's too far off as we speak! It isn't uncommon to notice a tattoo here or there on a colleague! I've noticed quite a few on some folk I certainly wouldn't have suspected! Not that there's a type of people that get tattoos! That's a separate debate I think :K:
Reply 8
Original post by Daveboi115
I don't think it's too far off as we speak! It isn't uncommon to notice a tattoo here or there on a colleague! I've noticed quite a few on some folk I certainly wouldn't have suspected! Not that there's a type of people that get tattoos! That's a separate debate I think :K:

Yeah , it isnt long before we see tattoos being more acceptable in professional jobs. I think the media plays a huge role in generalising people with tattoos , you always just see these rap artists with their whole bodies covered , or rock artists with satanic tattoos and it just makes you think that anyone who has a slightly large tattoo is up to no good lol.
Reply 9
Yeah , it isnt long before we see tattoos being more acceptable in professional jobs. I think the media plays a huge role in generalising people with tattoos , you always just see these rap artists with their whole bodies covered , or rock artists with satanic tattoos and it just makes you think that anyone who has a slightly large tattoo is up to no good lol.

This is very true, exposure is key in development of an attitude towards these things! It reminds me of a young gentleman I went to university with who was covered in tattoos (Both sleeves, chest, back and legs) and he was studying pharmacy and was told if he wanted his placement to be in the hospital setting to basically forget about it! Bit rude I thought given that he had nothing above the neck and it could all be covered in a suit!
I worked in an office where quite a few people openly had elaborate tattoos on their forearms that they never covered. No one cared.

I got mine with the idea it could be easily covered so its on my upper arm but people knew I had one as my job requires site visits and thus frequently was in the office in tee or polo shirt and could see the lowest bits of it. No one minded, quite a few people asked to see it.

I have noticed a lot of times I've been served by people in customer facing roles such as shops, pubs and restaurants openly showing tattoos. No one has commented to my knowledge. It's a lot more common place now to the degree that I saw research saying that people who discriminated against people with tattoos would be significantly limiting their applicant base.

Some countries like Japan it is very taboo to have one though.
Original post by Gwilym101
I worked in an office where quite a few people openly had elaborate tattoos on their forearms that they never covered. No one cared.

I got mine with the idea it could be easily covered so its on my upper arm but people knew I had one as my job requires site visits and thus frequently was in the office in tee or polo shirt and could see the lowest bits of it. No one minded, quite a few people asked to see it.

I have noticed a lot of times I've been served by people in customer facing roles such as shops, pubs and restaurants openly showing tattoos. No one has commented to my knowledge. It's a lot more common place now to the degree that I saw research saying that people who discriminated against people with tattoos would be significantly limiting their applicant base.

Some countries like Japan it is very taboo to have one though.

Interesting! I wasn't aware of Japan's view on the topic! Surely they would be more proud of their rich heritage as an artistic nation with plenty of culture! I've also heard of people getting tattoos in Tokyo and the likes so I wasn't aware it was frowned upon!
Interesting! I wasn't aware of Japan's view on the topic! Surely they would be more proud of their rich heritage as an artistic nation with plenty of culture! I've also heard of people getting tattoos in Tokyo and the likes so I wasn't aware it was frowned upon!

They're associated with Yakuza, and they're putting all sorts of restrictions on who can do them. Plus you can't use things like the bath houses if you have one. It's a shame because as you say they've got a vibrant art culture.
Do tattoos still put people off? are they regarded as unprofessional? Would you consider a tattoed professional more down to earth or would you perhaps even be more comfortable with one?

Any thoughts on how societies views of tattooed individuals are shifting?

A tattoo presents an attitude that I would not do business with.

Am I entitled to express this or will it get deleted by some snowflake...
(edited 6 years ago)
personally I have absolutely no problem with tattoos (I mean I have a few myself :tongue: ) and I don't think it makes a person less professional or suitable for a work environment, even if the tattoo is very explicit in subject matter. my one exception to this would be if someone I was hiring or working with had a very racist or discriminatory tattoo? that would make me not want to work with them because they are clearly not a good person.
however I think in most professional settings it would still hinder you to have visible tattoos, so it would be unwise to get any on your hands or above your neck. the attitude is slowly shifting to be more accepting, but emphasis on the Slowly here (I have a tattoo on my wrist which could be considered risky but a) it's of a rose, no one can be offended and b) when I work, it will be in the creative industry, where no one cares :tongue: )
PS Snowflake: "An extremely fragile individual -often, but not always associated with millennial's. Someone who has never faced any real adversity in life and therefore is easily traumatized by anything out of the ordinary or anything contradictory to their narrow views".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Gwilym101
They're associated with Yakuza, and they're putting all sorts of restrictions on who can do them. Plus you can't use things like the bath houses if you have one. It's a shame because as you say they've got a vibrant art culture.

Every day is indeed a school day! Thank goodness I didn't wait to go to Japan to get my samurai sleeve finished haha! It is absolutely a crying shame but I suppose it will be interesting to see how the situation develops in the future!
Original post by Huw M Thomas
A tattoo presents an attitude that I would not do business with.

what attitude is that may I ask?
Original post by rinofthemill
what attitude is that may I ask?

If you need to ask the question then you could never accept the answer.
Original post by Huw M Thomas
PS Snowflake: An extremely fragile individual -often, but not always associated with millennial's. Someone who has never faced any real adversity in life and therefore is easily traumatized by anything out of the ordinary or anything contradictory to their narrow views.

The thing is, you're saying the people who disagree with you have "narrow views" yet you're the one who's automatically assuming everyone with a tattoo has a particular attitude, which in itself is narrow minded

Quick Reply

Latest