The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science Degree Job options

Hello,

I want to do a Biomedical sciences degree at uni, I was wondering would it possible for me to work in the pharmaceutical industry? and is there any chance of me doing a masters in pharmacolgy after biomed and become a pharmacologist?

...... I have done research regarding Jobs so please dont complain
Original post by MerkyM
Hello,

I want to do a Biomedical sciences degree at uni, I was wondering would it possible for me to work in the pharmaceutical industry? and is there any chance of me doing a masters in pharmacolgy after biomed and become a pharmacologist?

...... I have done research regarding Jobs so please dont complain

Yes to both but bear in mind that to get anywhere in research you will need that masters if not a PhD.
As a current biomedical science student I will reiterate what has been stated above. Yes you can work in pretty much any science industry with the degree, however to get into research a Masters would be minimum and a PhD preferred!

Biomed itself is primarily a human physiology and pathophysiology degree programme. You will learn a ton of metabolic pathways and how different compounds affect the body and how diseases then affect certain pathways. You will learn pretty much the minimum amount of chemistry you need to make it through in terms of biochemistry style lectures. Pharmacy is a module on my course for final year students so that would really be your first introduction to it however this may vary greatly between courses! Mine is IBMS accredited 4 year course with a hospital placement as I want to be an NHS biomedical scientist when I’m done!

If you wanted to do a masters conversion this is possible indeed but just brush up on your pharmacology knowledge as you will be asked about it! Why don’t you just go straight into pharmacy/pharmaceutical science may I ask?
Original post by Daveboi115

If you wanted to do a masters conversion this is possible indeed but just brush up on your pharmacology knowledge as you will be asked about it! Why don’t you just go straight into pharmacy/pharmaceutical science may I ask?

Just a quick correction there. The masters degree won't be a conversion. Pharmacology masters degrees need any relevant biological/life sciences degree.
Original post by alleycat393
Just a quick correction there. The masters degree won't be a conversion. Pharmacology masters degrees need any relevant biological/life sciences degree.

Oops, my bad! Thanks for clearing up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending