The Student Room Group

What do I chose as my firm and insurance for university?

So far I have an unconditional to Birmingham for NatSci so I'm going to make that my firm choice. For my insurance I'm stuck between Chemical engineering at Birmingham and NatSci at Exeter.

Do I chose chemeng as I might change my mind on my course (doubt it but I might) plus I fell in love with Birmingham's campus and vibe.

Or do I chose Exeter as I have not visited the city of Birmingham and might decide that I hate it and its too big of a city :/ plus I know I like the course that Exeter offers.

Any advice would be super helpful!!:smile::smile:
Original post by serenh17
So far I have an unconditional to Birmingham for NatSci so I'm going to make that my firm choice. For my insurance I'm stuck between Chemical engineering at Birmingham and NatSci at Exeter.

Do I chose chemeng as I might change my mind on my course (doubt it but I might) plus I fell in love with Birmingham's campus and vibe.

Or do I chose Exeter as I have not visited the city of Birmingham and might decide that I hate it and its too big of a city :/ plus I know I like the course that Exeter offers.

Any advice would be super helpful!!:smile::smile:

If your firm is unconditional, then you won't have an insurance so there is no choice to be made.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
If your firm is unconditional, then you won't have an insurance so there is no choice to be made.

I know but it's still good to have a back up just in case I decide that the unconditional is no longer the course I want to do.
I know but it's still good to have a back up just in case I decide that the unconditional is no longer the course I want to do.

But once your Birmingham offer changes to unconditional (ie some time after you firm it) any insurance will simply disappear.

If you would no longer want to do NatSci at Birmingham, why would you want to do NatSci at Exeter?
Honestly, you need to attend the post-offer visit days that the universities offer and explore the cities before you make a decision. You’ll be living there for the next few years, so you need to feel confident that you’ll enjoy your time there. Best wishes and good luck!
You dont have to make decision for MONTHS.
Time to visit/revisit both Unis and do some calm, careful thinking about the reality of being t each one and the differences between the two courses.

PS. Do you really want to go to a Uni that is so desperate for students that it has to bribe them to go there? Think very carefully about this bit.
Reply 7
If you firm an unconditional you have no insurance. The only way out of that is to get the university to "release" you and then you have to go through clearing.

You have another 4 months before you have to make the decision. Go visit Birmingham.
Reply 8

As per the other replies, it doesn't work like that.

But also, only firm an "Unconditional If Firm" offer when you are VERY sure you would have firmed it anyway if it had been a standard conditional offer.

You have until May to decide. There's no rush, and rushing is a good way to cause you problems later on. Every year we have students rushing into picking their choices only to reconsider later, when it's too late...

Revisit your choices. Then decide in April/May.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending