The Student Room Group

Any German students have advice for German Abi student?

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in year 11 (G8) and I will be taking my Abitur 2018/19. I would like to study Psychology and Sociology or Law at a uni in Scotland but at the moment I'm torn between staying in Germany and going to the UK. The Brexit makes me question whether I should leave Germany although there has never been a shred of doubt in my mind before, that I would leave home and go live in the UK. Anyone maybe even Germans here who have some advice? Bc I'm LOST atm
Reply 1
Original post by juliafrancesca
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in year 11 (G8) and I will be taking my Abitur 2018/19. I would like to study Psychology and Sociology or Law at a uni in Scotland but at the moment I'm torn between staying in Germany and going to the UK. The Brexit makes me question whether I should leave Germany although there has never been a shred of doubt in my mind before, that I would leave home and go live in the UK. Anyone maybe even Germans here who have some advice? Bc I'm LOST atm

Hi Julia, I’m from the UK and moving to Germany to study because of Brexit. So we’re kind of opposites. For you, Scottish universities will cost around £3000 Per year I believe, but I live in London and so it would cost me £9000 per year because the rules work in a weird way for EU member states but not England. I don’t know why. Scottish universities like St Andrews have a very good reputation. For me, I want to study in Germany because I think the chances of getting a job in Germany are better by the time I will be graduating than in the UK(if brexit is as bad as we all expect it to be). But, that said you can’t predict the future and if you plan your life around Brexit then it will probably ironically never happen and you will feel silly for not going to a UK university. I knew I wanted to live and work in Germany when I’m older and so the decision wasn’t all about Brexit, although it was a factor. Do whatever you think you will enjoy doing and don’t worry about what politicians are doing. Headlines come out everyday and forecast the end of the world next week so don’t let that dictate your life. I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Hello everyone!

Hi Julia, I’m from the UK and moving to Germany to study because of Brexit. So we’re kind of opposites. For you, Scottish universities will cost around £3000 Per year I believe, but I live in London and so it would cost me £9000 per year because the rules work in a weird way for EU member states but not England. I don’t know why. Scottish universities like St Andrews have a very good reputation. For me, I want to study in Germany because I think the chances of getting a job in Germany are better by the time I will be graduating than in the UK(if brexit is as bad as we all expect it to be). But, that said you can’t predict the future and if you plan your life around Brexit then it will probably ironically never happen and you will feel silly for not going to a UK university. I knew I wanted to live and work in Germany when I’m older and so the decision wasn’t all about Brexit, although it was a factor. Do whatever you think you will enjoy doing and don’t worry about what politicians are doing. Headlines come out everyday and forecast the end of the world next week so don’t let that dictate your life. I hope this helps. Ben.
Hello everyone!

You should wait until summer to decide, until then it should hopefully be clear what the fee status situation for EU students is going to be, which I think is one of the main concerns, as it might be the difference between getting free tuition in Scotland or paying very high international fees in the worst case. Regarding other political or economic concerns related to immigrating, I guess it's hard to say at the moment and depends on what your goals in the future are.

Btw, if you do decide to apply, I'm doing the Abitur this summer and applied to unis in the UK this year, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Original post by CompSciCat
You should wait until summer to decide, until then it should hopefully be clear what the fee status situation for EU students is going to be, which I think is one of the main concerns, as it might be the difference between getting free tuition in Scotland or paying very high international fees in the worst case. Regarding other political or economic concerns related to immigrating, I guess it's hard to say at the moment and depends on what your goals in the future are.

Btw, if you do decide to apply, I'm doing the Abitur this summer and applied to unis in the UK this year, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Heyy! Was hast du denn momentan für LK's? Und was & wo möchtest du studieren und wie hoch ist dein NC & Schnitt? Weil ich um ehrlich zu sein Agnst habe, nicht angenommen zu werden, auch wenn ich ein gutes Abi schaffe. Also dass nationale Schüler über internationale Schüler bevorzugt werden...
Heyy! Was hast du denn momentan für LK's? Und was & wo möchtest du studieren und wie hoch ist dein NC & Schnitt? Weil ich um ehrlich zu sein Agnst habe, nicht angenommen zu werden, auch wenn ich ein gutes Abi schaffe. Also dass nationale Schüler über internationale Schüler bevorzugt werden...

You're not allowed to write in another language in TSR unfortunately, so I'm gonna answer you in English, but if you have more questions you want to ask me in German you can write me a private message :smile:

I'm from Bavaria, where we don't have LKs, and I applied for Computer Science at Cambridge (rejected), Durham, and Edinburgh (both accepted), but unfortunately due to some personal unrelated circumstances I wasn't able to take up any of my offers :/ (will either start studying In Munich or reapply next year)
When I applied I got predicted an average of 1,1 and 14-15 points in my relevant subjects (maths/chemistry/english, and though I still have a Kolloquium left next week, so far it looks like I'll actually get those grades :biggrin:)

So regarding the question of whether they prefer national or international students, England and Scotland are different, and you have to divide internationals into actual internationals and EU: because of the free tution EU students can still get for 2019 entry, it's harder to get into Scottish unis if you are either EU or Scottish (i.e, you're classified as a home student), than if you are an international from overseas.

What unis are you thinking of and what Schnitt do you think you'll get? From my experience you definitely have a decent shot if your predictions are within their requirements and you can show your interest for your subject in the personal statement (If you're unsure whether your grades are enough you can always send Admissions an e-mail), but it all depends where you apply. For example, I knew from the beginning that Cambridge was a long shot, and Edinburgh is really quite selective as well, but if you have some "back-up" unis you like you'll definitely get a place somewhere :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending