The Student Room Group

It's almost Christmas! How are your GCSEs going so far?

Poll

How are your GCSEs going so far?

It's almost Christmas! For some lucky people you might have already broken up and the rest of you it'll only be a few more days. You're almost there!

Whether you're year 10 or 11 (or a different year altogether), how are your GCSEs going so far? Any plans for over the holidays? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi! :smile:

I'm in year 10 - it's been a stressful year so far for me... they didn't really ever tell you about the huge gap that was from year 9 to 10! I'm not struggling as much as I was at the start of this year, but it's still difficult - not necessarily in understanding the concept/information but mainly just being able to memorising it.

I don't have any major plans over the holidays - just hoping to take the time to relax! :tongue:
You have around 6 months which is plenty of time.

However if you are set on the mindset that you're going to fail, you will likely struggle.

Have you looked at your marked papers?
Original post by jennybear
Hi! :smile:

I'm in year 10 - it's been a stressful year so far for me... they didn't really ever tell you about the huge gap that was from year 9 to 10! I'm not struggling as much as I was at the start of this year, but it's still difficult - not necessarily in understanding the concept/information but mainly just being able to memorising it.

I don't have any major plans over the holidays - just hoping to take the time to relax! :tongue:

Relaxing over Christmas is definitely a good idea! Sorry you've been struggling, glad things are a bit better now though :smile: I can definitely relate to struggling to memorise stuff. You can do it though!

A 5 isn't a fail! It shows you have a basic knowledge of concepts which is a great start. Keep working slowly and you'll get there :smile: don't worry too much about past papers just yet- do one if you really want to, but save them for nearer the exams. I'll be getting a thread up over the next few days or so of what you can be doing over the Christmas holidays but honestly just having a break is the most important thing! Good luck :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Mine are going great so far! Still got room to improve and I'm doing my best :h: Up until now I've been making & printing out revision resources (mostly questions and some notes) to use after Christmas when I'm starting proper revision. Over the holidays I'll just be making sure I completely understand all of the content, and will do a few maths papers - I've been neglecting it slightly in favour of making resources for my other subjects, so time to fix that :biggrin:
Original post by Adidas02
Mine are going great so far! Still got room to improve and I'm doing my best :h: Up until now I've been making & printing out revision resources (mostly questions and some notes) to use after Christmas when I'm starting proper revision. Over the holidays I'll just be making sure I completely understand all of the content, and will do a few maths papers - I've been neglecting it slightly in favour of making resources for my other subjects, so time to fix that :biggrin:

Great! Your best is always good :smile: that's a really good approach for over the holidays too, and papers are brilliant for maths. Are you in year 10 or 11? :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Great! Your best is always good :smile: that's a really good approach for over the holidays too, and papers are brilliant for maths. Are you in year 10 or 11? :smile:

I'm in year 11 :smile:
I've got mocks after christmas and am finding it really hard to revise so not good. There's no way I can cover everything in 2 weeks
Original post by castielhowlter
I've got mocks after christmas and am finding it really hard to revise so not good. There's no way I can cover everything in 2 weeks

This is exactly how I feel, it's impossible!!
Original post by Ellie1718

How do we survive??!!?!?
Honestly, I have no idea.
Original post by Adidas02

Please check out my thread called "journey to 10 9's"
:smile: I think we have similar interests
I'm re-sitting one and I understand things mostly but am struggling to remember everything!
I’m in Year 10, this year I’m self studying AQA GCSE Psychology + CIE C.S. I pray I do well! Not even done half the content and still have to fit in revision for exams in May/June.

If any of you have any tips, please help.

Everyone pray for me.
Trust me girl! I was hoping to get at least 6's and 7's for my mocks and so far, from the results I've got back, I've got two 5's which is kinda bringing my whole vibe down...

We have around 5 months left but we all need to spend this Christmas break relaxing. Mocks have been stressful but if we keep on going, we're going to get burned out before the actual exams. If anything, the main concepts from Year 10 need to be revised. After all, we learnt this stuff a whole year ago!

I hope you do great in your revision over the holidays! Hard work pays off!
Original post by castielhowlter

Original post by Ellie1718

Don't panic you guys! Mocks are there to show you which bits you need to work on and need more help with, you're not expected to be perfect at everything already! Do what you can, make sure you have a good break too and time off and you'll be fine :smile:

Original post by Muserock
I'm re-sitting one and I understand things mostly but am struggling to remember everything!

Understanding is a great start! And you have time :smile: try different methods and see which works best for you- make posters and stick them up around the house, record yourself reading and listen to it back, use memrise, TSR or other online resources. You'll get there!

Original post by Rainingpopcorn5
I’m in Year 10, this year I’m self studying AQA GCSE Psychology + CIE C.S. I pray I do well! Not even done half the content and still have to fit in revision for exams in May/June.

If any of you have any tips, please help.

Everyone pray for me.

That's a lot to self teach! You can do it though. Try and do a little bit each day and aim to finish by say Easter so you have plenty of time to go back over you don't understand. There's plenty of people on here to help if you're stuck on anything too!
Don’t worry about it. Honestly, if you work hard you will get the 7s And 8s. Like I tried so hard for November mocks and I got what I wanted- hard work pays offf
For those that want it, there is a guide to Christmas revision here :smile:
Original post by furryface12
For those that want it, there is a guide to Christmas revision here

Thank you! Very useful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest