The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self-study a-level maths?

Hi, I am about to begin my self studies for a-level mathematics. I am 16, homeschooled, although I really just teach myself. I am wondering if its within my grasps to get A’s or A* within these exams through self study. I am trying to get into a mathematics degree for queens which requires either A*Ab or AAA at a-level. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novantix
Hi, I am about to begin my self studies for a-level mathematics. I am 16, homeschooled, although I really just teach myself. I am wondering if its within my grasps to get A’s or A* within these exams through self study. I am trying to get into a mathematics degree for queens which requires either A*Ab or AAA at a-level. Thanks.

It is definitely possible to self teach maths at A-levels. I self taught Maths, Further Maths and Physics. The last one was challenge, due to practicals.
Reply 2
Yeah It shouldn’t be very difficult at all, especially with all of the resources available online these days.
Its very simple and possible.

Complete all exercises from the book and then move onto papers.
im doing it. im in my second year of the old spec.
It's very possible.
I use a mix of cgp books, my online course and YouTube. I recommend jack brown on YouTube as he is a good teacher. You can checkout his videos on the new spec where he is teaching the whole course.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tangotangopapa2
It is definitely possible to self teach maths at A-levels. I self taught Maths, Further Maths and Physics. The last one was challenge, due to practicals.

Thanks for the reply. If you don’t mind me asking, considering you too self studied, did you do well in the exams? Also, how did you do physics if you self studied?

I didn’t think external candidates could do physics considering it has lab work.
Thanks for the reply. If you don’t mind me asking, considering you too self studied, did you do well in the exams? Also, how did you do physics if you self studied?

I didn’t think external candidates could do physics considering it has lab work.

Not at all. I got A*AA. (Old Spec). My exam centre was extremely helpful in physics practicals.
(edited 6 years ago)
yo maths is one of the easiest subjects to self teach including fm.
i would reccomend fm aswell, but, teach yourself the whole a level mats and then start it. it will be easier to grasp
It's definitely possible, but it will be quite challenging without some sort of teacher

I self studied maths and further maths a level and got two A*s in them, last year. It’s going to be difficult but if you put the work in, you will be rewarded.
Reply 10

if you wana do maths at uni why not self teach further maths as well and the third one can be anything really
Original post by username2452153
Not at all. I got A*AA. (Old Spec). My exam centre was extremely helpful in physics practicals.

Sorry I know this’s an old post but do you mind giving me the name of the exam centre please ?

Yes, you will be at a tremendous advantage if you self-study as you will not have to waste time copying off a blackboard when it is all in a study book. Though there might be about half a dozen points that would be very good to know that are not in the study book.
Yes
Reply 14

What grade are you currently at for GCSE?
Sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to ask, how is it going? I'm almost 16 and homeschooling myself too. I'm going to take some of my IGCSEs this October (Maths, Physics and Arabic Foreign Language) and the rest in June (Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths, English Language and PE).I'm still not sure if I'm going to take A-levels or go for the American curriculum (SATs, AP etc.)
Original post by saraxsadiq
Sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to ask, how is it going? I'm almost 16 and homeschooling myself too. I'm going to take some of my IGCSEs this October (Maths, Physics and Arabic Foreign Language) and the rest in June (Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths, English Language and PE).I'm still not sure if I'm going to take A-levels or go for the American curriculum (SATs, AP etc.)

Hello,
I can help you with Arabic if you want since it is my first language.

Did you use any of those expensive online courses, or a tutor and how did you complete the practical endorsements?

How long did it take to do this? What resources did you use? Also were you in school/college at this time?
Original post by cbxoxoxo
How long did it take to do this? What resources did you use? Also were you in school/college at this time

This is a bit of an old thread, so the person who wrote that probably won't reply, but you can look into distance learning providers like the National Extension College?

Quick Reply

Latest