The Student Room Group

help please!buffer with PH more than 7

which of the following when mixed would make a buffer with PH more than 7?
A. methanoic acid and sodium methanoate
B.NaOH and sodium chloride.
C. Ammonia and ammonium chloride.
D.Ammonium chloride and ammonium ethanoate.
im confused :frown:
(ik about titrations, if u want PH more than 7 u use strong base and weak acid, is that also applicable with BUFFERS? anyway I can't see that combination in the choices)
C; a basic buffer is comprised a weak base and its salt (conjugate base). If you need more help on the acid and base topic I can recommend Chemguide and Chemrevise :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
C; a basic buffer is comprised a weak base and its salt (conjugate base). If you need more help on the acid and base topic I can recommend Chemguide and Chemrevise :smile:

ohhh so above 7 they're basically asking a basic buffer yeaah, got it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'll check them out :smile:
You're very welcome!! Yes I would definitely recommend Chemguide and Chemrevise they are literally a life saver... Chemguide explains concepts in detail, and Chemrevise provides detailed but condensed revision notes. If you're looking for other websites I can also recommend maths and physics tutor :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sarah99630
which of the following when mixed would make a buffer with PH more than 7?

What spec are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster
What spec are you doing?

edexcel IAL
Reply 6
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
You're very welcome!! Yes I would definitely recommend Chemguide and Chemrevise they are literally a life saver... Chemguide explains concepts in detail, and Chemrevise provides detailed but condensed revision notes. If you're looking for other websites I can also recommend maths and physics tutor :smile:

thanks again! :biggrin: are the factsheets on phy&maths tutor helpful?
Reply 7
Basic buffers aren't on your spec (Kb certainly isn't, which would be required to calculate the pH of one).
Reply 8
Original post by Pigster
Basic buffers aren't on your spec (Kb certainly isn't, which would be required to calculate the pH of one).

Original post by Pigster

hahah nice to know that :smile: thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest