The Student Room Group

Ricky's Road to AAAAA

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:Road to AAAAA:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Hello there! :hello:

My name is Ricky, and it's been approximately been 3 months since I started with year 12 at a Grammar school.

At the start, it was confirmed that I would be doing 4 board exams at the end of year 12, and my maths teacher had arranged lessons for Further Maths after schools for those doing well in maths, and luckily, I was one to be chosen and along with 30 other boys and girls, I'm now doing 5 board exams at the end of year 12.

You might call me crazy, but the subjects which I am doing as of now is:
Chemistry (Edexcel)
Physics (AQA)
Biology(AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)

I know :cry2:

After coming to realization that I'm doing 3 sciences along with 2 Maths, I thought it'd be a good thing to aim for AAAAA at the end of year 12. I might not get it, or I might, but I've decided to make a thread about my journey to try and get those grades at the end of this year.

As part of my commitment, I will make a thread every Friday, going through how my week has been, along with extra information.

In GCSEs, I got 5 A*, 6 A and a single C in that wretched Design Technology subject. Not the best, but not the worst either, and in comparison to my old school, that's above average and was one of the best grades, but in my new school, :beard:, it is the average.

Now average isn't always bad, but I hate to be the average personally. I prefer to thrive for the above average student.

For future, I'm thinking about doing Medicine (you probably guessed it already) but seeing as the subjects I am doing, there's a fine chance of me going to another course. The kind of university I would like to go to is a Russel Group one, but that one uni depends on which course I decide to do by the end of year 12.

If you would like to be tagged in the weekly updates, do so and if you are interested in knowing other things, do tell me! :smile:

This is my update so far:
After 3 months into my new school, I received my unit assessment grades at the end of November. Not the best grades, but what I had come out with was ABBC. The C was in Chemistry and believe it or not, it is one hell of a subject, with that massive content and the amount of practice papers I do, but still end up being terrible at it.

My best subject so far is Maths, with having two assessments so far, and achieving the class best in both of them. Not trying to brag, but I'm extra proud of that and would like to keep it going. :dance:.

Members tagged for update:
@OrangeArcher
(edited 6 years ago)
Impressive! Good luck :biggrin:
I would love to be notified every time you post :biggrin: I'm in year 12 myself and doing biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and received results similar to yours at GCSE (4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C).
Original post by OrangeArcher
I would love to be notified every time you post :biggrin: I'm in year 12 myself and doing biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and received results similar to yours at GCSE (4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C).

You're on a similar track on me, hehe. What exam boards are you doing for each of your subject?
Original post by RickHendricks
You're on a similar track on me, hehe. What exam boards are you doing for each of your subject?

Biology and Chemistry are AQA and Maths and Further Maths are OCR. What are you planning to apply for at university?
Biology and Chemistry are AQA and Maths and Further Maths are OCR. What are you planning to apply for at university?

currently, I'm leaning towards Medicine (probably guess it) but due to the subjects I'm doing, there could be a good chance of me doing something else. What about you?
currently, I'm leaning towards Medicine (probably guess it) but due to the subjects I'm doing, there could be a good chance of me doing something else. What about you?

I'm hoping to study veterinary medicine :biggrin: But I suppose it depends on predicted grades etc.
Original post by dxvid
Impressive! Good luck :biggrin:

Apologies, didn't see your reply their. And thanks, I think motivation is key to achievement.

I'm hoping to study veterinary medicine :biggrin: But I suppose it depends on predicted grades etc.

What university are you looking into may I ask? You don't have to answer.
Apologies, didn't see your reply their. And thanks, I think motivation is key to achievement.

What university are you looking into may I ask? You don't have to answer.

I've been looking at Surrey, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Cambridge and Glasgow.
I've been looking at Surrey, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Cambridge and Glasgow.

Wow, that's a lot of universities you've already got keen eyes on. I've only looked at Cambridge and Imperial, but seeing as how many you've looked at, I might look at more universities.
Wow, that's a lot of universities you've already got keen eyes on. I've only looked at Cambridge and Imperial, but seeing as how many you've looked at, I might look at more universities.

To be fair I've only got 8 choices for vet med and medicine has 33 universities :biggrin: I've been to the Surrey campus but I haven't had time to visit the other unis (I plan to but not quite yet).
:banana::banana::banana::banana:UPDATE::banana::banana::banana::banana:

School's coming to an end this year, with my final day for the year tomorrow, and just before we are leaving, I was given some resources to help me revise over the holiday, and I came to strong realization that I've got mid-term mocks on the week of return, which is... terrible. :bawling: However, at the same time, it has given me motivation to actually revise over the holidays, which I normally don't do much.

One of the best resources I've been given today is for Further Maths and that is IntegralMaths login, which is super good, especially since it has videos for step-to-step guide on the topics in further maths.

I've also started doing something where after every time I make a fresh set of notes, I'll have it saved for future use. I plan to use it for revision and then give it onto my friends who are a year below, so it helps them too.

I was also thrown with a shock today, with my Biology test marked... And at the start, I had thought that I did so well, but what I got instead was a wooping 55%. Fortunately for me, the highest in the class was around 60% meaning that I actually did quite well compared to my class mates.

Seeing as school's coming to an end for the Christmas, I also decided to print out some past papers, taking in account that I won't have time tomorrow, as we have a half day, and the school computers are best used at lunch. One of the papers which I printed out was CrashMaths's new AS maths practice papers. These seem super hard, and seeing as we have completed the entire AS Maths specification, I thought it'd be good to do a practice paper on it, and polish my ends.

Tagged users: @OrangeArcher
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest