The Student Room Group

How to get all 9s for gcse?

I'm in year 10, and I've uninstalled all my games because it is a distraction cause I just can't control it.I realised when I grow up I don't want to regret that I should have worked harder to get better results etc. I've got the motivation to work and study hard, I really want to get all 9s in everything and minimum 8s (except Spanish because **** that) but I just don't know where to start and what to actually do. For example, after school should i revise the things ive just done in that day or should i start revising the things ive done when i just started my gcses? (my school started ours in year9) I just have no idea what to do really
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do boxing it’s good
Reply 2
NO that is a distraction and should been obliterated!!!!!!
Reply 3
statistically only 2 people will get straight 9s each year
Reply 4
Original post by SaDe7

and i wont cause no way I'm going to work that hard in spanish, so i wont get all 9s. For everything else however, i do and i dont care about how many people get 9s becuase i will work for it. I wanted to know how, not the statiscs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SaDe7

really? a 9 is only the top 2-3% for each subject so wouldnt more people get it than just two?
Reply 6
Original post by abcDEFG667
really? a 9 is only the top 2-3% for each subject so wouldnt more people get it than just two?

If you think about it this way:

You take lets say 10 GCSE'S

2% In each GCSE will get a 9

2% as a fraction is 2/100

2% is for one so to work it out for all 10 we would have to multiply the fraction by 10.

When working out the probability of more than one thing happening you have to multiply them

There are roughly 500 000 students in year 11

2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100
2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100 = 0.00000000000000001024

or something like that looool

hope that helps - it probably didn't
Reply 7
Chill and you will get all 9s:biggrin:
Don't revise until you have 2 days left.
Original post by cj_sS
If you think about it this way:

You take lets say 10 GCSE'S

2% In each GCSE will get a 9

2% as a fraction is 2/100

2% is for one so to work it out for all 10 we would have to multiply the fraction by 10.

When working out the probability of more than one thing happening you have to multiply them

There are roughly 500 000 students in year 11

2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100
2/100 * 2/100 2/100 * 2/100 = 0.00000000000000001024

or something like that looool

hope that helps - it probably didn't

Events aren’t completely independent, if a student is intelligent and works hard then chances of a 9 increase, and the converse decreases. Also some subjects interlinked e.g. if I student is good at maths, high chance would be good at physics, or English language and literature, maths and Further maths etc...
Thus why there will be more than 2 students achieving all 9s
Reply 10
Original post by Tomaloy286
Events aren’t completely independent, if a student is intelligent and works hard then chances of a 9 increase, and the converse decreases. Also some subjects interlinked e.g. if I student is good at maths, high chance would be good at physics, or English language and literature, maths and Further maths etc...
Thus why there will be more than 2 students achieving all 9s

Yeah definitely - I just wanted to explain the statistic.
Original post by richard004
I'm in year 10, and I've uninstalled all my games because it is a distraction cause I just can't control it.I realised when I grow up I don't want to regret that I should have worked harder to get better results etc. I've got the motivation to work and study hard, I really want to get all 9s in everything and minimum 8s (except Spanish because **** that) but I just don't know where to start and what to actually do. For example, after school should i revise the things ive just done in that day or should i start revising the things ive done when i just started my gcses? (my school started ours in year9) I just have no idea what to do really

Your in year 10, you don't have to hardcore revise, but its good you've got distractions out of the way.
You should properly revise when year 11 starts, ( i'm one month away from the real gcse's and am literally just starting now) wish i had started like at least 2 months earlier.

Just because like the top 2-3 % recieve a grade 9, doesent mean you cant. People who work for it get it.
Right now you can try understanding your content in science, properly read your book in English and start thinking about key characters and themes in your book. Look at the poems your studying and link them. Practice picking out language techniques and devices in pieces of text, then soon you'll get really good and hopefully you'll get a 9 next year. Attempt some maths papers but know your examboard.

Also you could try an after school activity as you've still got time AND also because thats important for after gcse's. e.g. CV's and jobs for later on
(so yeah as someone said, you COULD do boxing:biggrin:)

do NOT burn yourself out with revision because then you'll stop revising and get tired. Just do work here and there. Prep for year 11, get all your stationary. Do what i said at the top. Finish your content in science and just practice some of those questions when you want
The first thing is to relax and take it slow seeing as you're only in year 10. Make sure that you don't think of revision as an obligation. I can understand what you're saying about Spanish lol. In year 11 and it's my worst subject. I can give some brief things that you should try and get done as early as you can.
For maths learn all the content perfectly. Everything. Then just do lots of practice. Questions are questions so you can use any questions related to the topic. Just make sure you learn all the content. Less of a struggle in year 11. You can still learn all of the content quickly(I had to learn it all in 2 nights lol so you really have nothing to worry about). For English make sure you read your set texts as many times as possible. Memorise that s***!!! ...Nah you don't need to memorise them but if you read them a few times you should be able to remember lots of quotes by heart. Make sure you learn a lot of interesting context for all the texts as well. I recommend you to start making essay plans for each character, theme and even relationships between characters from now. When you have the time make sure you write some and get them marked by a teacher. For English language, I really recommend you watch Mr Salles and Mr Bruff on Youtube. Also, make sure you read a lot of books for the section Bs of the papers. For section B for paper 1, you should read a lot of books. I recommend reading a lot of fantasy books for this because they tend to be very good for this type of stuff. They are rich in vocab and if you read a lot of fantasy books you will end up emulating their work a bit. For section B of paper 2, you should really read a lot of newspapers. The Guardian, Independent, etc... whatever you do, don't read the Sun and other BS like that. That's pretty much it for English language. For sciences, the CGP books are your best friend. Make sure you buy the workbook too!!! It's pretty much all you need. Science is really crammable. REALLY crammable. If you want to make life easier in year 11, just start going through the guide bit by bit and doing all the questions on the corresponding page in the workbook. Seeing as you do Spanish as well, I have a few things I think you really should do. First of all, make sure you know those tenses inside out. I mean it!!! Second of all learn all the vocab. For vocab, all you need is memrise. The more you do, the better. Those are the 2 best things you really should do. Also, practice conjugating infinitives with all the tenses. I was a bit bored so I thought I might as well just tell you some stuff.
Reply 13
thank you all
Original post by richard004

getting all 9s is unrealistic, sorry for being the voice of gloom but you most likely won’t
Reply 15
Erm honestly being in year 11 now I can 100% say if I was to go back to year 10 I wouldn’t hardcore revise or delete apps on my phone or desert my social life- that’s torture for two years and frankly I believe you’ll burn yourself out. For one even if you revised everything on th syllabus, when you come to year 11 it will all be gone from your head and you will still have to revise everything again. Please don’t try too hard to grow up, enjoy your freedom, pay attention in lessons and revise hard for mocks, make sure you make some revision materials and ensure you understand topics as you go along. That will set you in good stead to get those 9’s. Even doing loads of practise papers won’t help you now... do them when exams are just about to start so it’s fresh in your head. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by SaDe7

Don't just believe in or take things so literally. It's 2-3% so is still a lot more than 2 people. On another thread someone said something similiar and said it was from a Dfe advisor so I looked it up and it was one article and the person who said it said they're not a Dfe advisor but their guess is that 2 people will get all 9s, and it was on twitter as well, so not an official statement or statistic or even prediction.
Original post by lydiarutharnold
getting all 9s is unrealistic, sorry for being the voice of gloom but you most likely won’t

It isn't completely unrealistic people do get it, but it is hard to be consistent in almost every subject though, it is a lot less compared to old spec though.
when you get home from school every night revise what you have done in the day. even if it is just a little it will help you a lot more than you think when it comes to nailing down and doing proper revision coming up to year 11. ensure you understand a topic fully before moving on as remember you do have two years to learn everything and not two weeks. the most important thing to do is to remember not to rush. you don’t want to try and cram every topic in every subject in one month. you should have at least 20 months to learn everything. 10 subjects. 20 months. on average one full subject should be given the time of 2 monthsone thing i regret about my gcse’s was not revising earlier. believe you me i still revised like hell in the up and coming months but if i’d have begun just small things like going over what i’d learned in the day when i was in year 10, i would’ve definitley got better than 2 c’s 5 b’s and 3 a’s i hope this advice helps you x
I got all 9s (I'm in shock) and I'm wondering whether to start a study youtube channel, not out of vanity, but to help people simply because I know how tough the new exams are.

Latest