The Student Room Group

Am I unconscious when I sleep ? also why do I fall asleep so fast ?

I read it takes about 10 - 15 minutes for people to fall asleep. my question is why do I fall asleep so fast ?

I get into bed and once my head hit the pillow the next thing I know it's the next day.
a lot of people say they go to bed and think about things while waiting to sleep however I sleep instantly, is this normal ?

also are we unconscious when we are sleeping ?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cleverboy1991
I read it takes about 10 - 15 minutes for people to fall asleep. my question is why do I fall asleep so fast ?

I get into bed and once my head hit the pillow the next thing I know it's the next day.
a lot of people say they go to bed and think about things while waiting to sleep however I sleep instantly, is this normal ?

thanks

Moved this to Health, you are more likely to get a reply here.
Original post by Rock Fan
Moved this to Health, you are more likely to get a reply here.

okie dokie :smile:
how can you see I am conscious when I'm sleeping as I'm not aware of my surroundings while I sleep ?
So it's true that while we sleep we are unconscious and we are only conscious after somebody makes a noise or touches us that wakes us up, then we are conscious right ?
Reply 5
So it's true that while we sleep we are unconscious and we are only conscious after somebody makes a noise or touches us that wakes us up, then we are conscious right ?

No, I think that person was saying because you CAN be woken up by noise or being shaken that means you are conscious. If you are unconscious then no amount of noise or shaking will wake you up.
omg you are so so lucky .. I wish I slept that fast
Original post by FloralLuxe
omg you are so so lucky .. I wish I slept that fast

Have you actually tried going to sleep? 😁
You fall asleep so fast and here I spend hours not being able to sleep
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Have you actually tried going to sleep? 😁

Yes
Do you feel refreshed when you wake up? If so you are very lucky... galling to sleep instantly is very rare but very useful! People who lie awake thinking when they’re trying to sleep think of worry’s about the day ahead, often leading to less sleep.
As for the unconscious thing no... you are conscious at all times, and when you are asleep you are conscious, but in a different state. There are five stages of sleep, 1 and 2 is when your brain starts to slow down, but you can easily be woken, 3 and 4 is the deep sleep which is almost like an unconscious state as it is very difficult or impossible to wake someone, and stage 5 or REM sleep, which is when the brains activity starts to increase, which is when dreaming occurs... if you find that you sleep soundlessly without being awoke, then you must fall into a stage 3 or 4 sleep very quickly... so that’s quite good in my opinion!

thanks

Mate. Enjoy going to bed easily whilst it lasts.
Original post by Chichaldo
Mate. Enjoy going to bed easily whilst it lasts.

Is that a threat?
You are conscious in a dream controlled by your subconsciousness. Also i wish i was like you, it takes me a good 30 mins to fall sleep

There's probably a lot to be said about what happens when we sleep... afaik you're not awake but you're not unconscious either - it's something different to either of those.

Speaking for myself... I roll around a lot while I'm asleep, but I never roll all the way out of bed.

1 I'm able to roll around while asleep - presumably to increase my comfort by swapping the 'dead-arm'

2 Something is stopping me rolling out of bed

3 I never roll face down on the pillow and suffocate myself to death or die from a collapsed airway (yet anyway)

recalling my first aid course... unconscious people are vulnerable to dying from collapsed airways which they're not able to sort out for themselves like a sleeping person usually can - particularly famous example of this was the Moscow Theatre siege of 2002 where most of the fatalities were due to anaesthetised hostages suffocating on blocked airways - superficially they looked like they were sleeping so the rescuers treated them like they were sleeping while in fact they were dying.
Then here I am, sometimes taking over an hour to sleep - usually like 30/45 mins or something.
Is that a threat?

How is that a threat in any shape or form? 😂
Original post by Chichaldo
How is that a threat in any shape or form? 😂

just wondered lol
just wondered lol

Oh okay, can kind of see where you're coming from haha
It just might not last with the future stresses of life weighing on ya mind ;p
Is that a threat?