The Student Room Group

Car Hire for under 25’s

Hi there, I’m new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Myself and six friends are planning a road trip for June. Three of us did one this past summer and it went so well we’re doing another with more of us. Only thing is, seven people and their luggage definitely aren’t going to fit in my wee corsa! Originally we were going to go in a little convoy, but due to someone dropping out I’m now the only one who can drive. We thought about hiring a mini bus but did some research and since I’m not 25 that’s not going to be possible, and it looks like most places won’t let you hire 7 seaters unless you’re 25 either.
Does anyone have any ideas on how we could do this/any places that hire out 6/7 seater cars to under 25’s? The alternative is finding someone else who can drive to come along or take trains and busses, though that’s a last resort simply for how convenient it would be in a car.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/car-hire/vehicles/uk/people-carriers/7-seater.html

Go to this website and you should be able to hire a seven seater car . Have fun on your road trip! 😁😁😁
Original post by RaidoBerkana

Myself and six friends are planning a road trip for June. Three of us did one this past summer and it went so well we’re doing another with more of us. Only thing is, seven people and their luggage definitely aren’t going to fit in my wee corsa! Originally we were going to go in a little convoy, but due to someone dropping out I’m now the only one who can drive. We thought about hiring a mini bus but did some research and since I’m not 25 that’s not going to be possible, and it looks like most places won’t let you hire 7 seaters unless you’re 25 either.
Does anyone have any ideas on how we could do this/any places that hire out 6/7 seater cars to under 25’s? The alternative is finding someone else who can drive to come along or take trains and busses, though that’s a last resort simply for how convenient it would be in a car.

Thanks!

Welcome to :tsr:

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you :smile:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Welcome to :tsr:

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you :smile:

Done :yy:
Original post by COD_Slay3000
https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/car-hire/vehicles/uk/people-carriers/7-seater.html

Go to this website and you should be able to hire a seven seater car . Have fun on your road trip! 😁😁😁

You need to be 25 to hire from Enterprise. It's in their FAQ.

I think the requirement is even 30 for an MPV.

You'll need to search around but it's hard enough hiring a car under 25, let alone a large one. And you'll be subject to a young driver's excess which is extremely expensive. If any of your mates are 25 and have a few years driving experience under their belt; convince them to hire one and get them to drive it.

Whatever you do - don't take the way out of having someone else who's over 25 hire it for you to drive - you'll be driving uninsured if you do.
(edited 6 years ago)
I find hire car age restrictions quite funny tbh, I passed my test and considered renting a car about a month afterwards and they had no problems with that because I was 25. My colleague who has been driving since she was 19 couldn’t because she was 23
Original post by dickwhittington
I find hire car age restrictions quite funny tbh, I passed my test and considered renting a car about a month afterwards and they had no problems with that because I was 25. My colleague who has been driving since she was 19 couldn’t because she was 23

Under 25s have incredibly high insurance premiums. This is also taken into account by companies who insure hire firms.
Get everyone to chip in £100 and buy something like a Ford Galaxy. Sell it afterwards and you should make most or all of your money back. It's a lot more hassle but it'll also be a lot cheaper than hiring a car for a month.
I've been a driver for years but not a fan of passengers and defo wouldn't want 6 other people in the car. Someone else must be able to drive? If I were you I would use the fact you can't get a big people carrier for seven as a reason you can't drive everyone.

This website is like an aggregator site and looks at all hire car companies. You can find a car for under 25. But no big people carriers.

http://www.rentalcars.com/
Original post by CurlyBen
Get everyone to chip in £100 and buy something like a Ford Galaxy. Sell it afterwards and you should make most or all of your money back. It's a lot more hassle but it'll also be a lot cheaper than hiring a car for a month.

^
This, which has lead to another idea. Ask around on facebook or something and see if someone can loan you a 7-seater with you as a named driver; a lot of insurers are able to do temporary cover. Although my suspicion is the shortfall in premium may be more expensive than just buying one.
Reply 10

Thanks!

You say under 25, but neglect to mention your actual age. There's a world of difference between say, 18 and 24.
Thanks for the replies everyone! It's definitely looking like the easiest thing will be to find someone else who can drive, plus an extra person will mean more people to split the digs prices, I'm sure we'll find someone somewhere.
Thanks!
Original post by IWMTom
You say under 25, but neglect to mention your actual age. There's a world of difference between say, 18 and 24.

I'm 21
Reply 13
I'm 21

You won't find anyone willing to hire you a car through the mainstream.
Original post by IWMTom
You won't find anyone willing to hire you a car through the mainstream.

Ahem. They're mainstream https://www.sixt.co.uk/campaigns/student-offers/
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15

Never heard of them :laugh:

The mainstream providers are Enterprise, Avis, and Hertz!
Original post by IWMTom
Never heard of them :laugh:

The mainstream providers are Enterprise, Avis, and Hertz!

I've heard of them - but I wouldn't class them as mainstream, there are some big companies that hire to u25s, but it costs an absolute fortune since they charge you a young driver's excess. The above mentioned are what you'd call the big three though.

The point still stands that no "high street" hire company on this earth will hire him a 7 seater. Also just took a gander at Sixt, awful availability and insane prices "...from £29" - clicks -> £485 to hire a fiat 500, pls.
(edited 6 years ago)
what should i get for my first car
Reply 18
Original post by nevershear
I've heard of them - but I wouldn't class them as mainstream, there are some big companies that hire to u25s, but it costs an absolute fortune since they charge you a young driver's excess. The above mentioned are what you'd call the big three though.

The point still stands that no "high street" hire company on this earth will hire him a 7 seater. Also just took a gander at Sixt, awful availability and insane prices "...from £29" - clicks -> £485 to hire a fiat 500, pls.

The nearest place to me that they have is Gateshead (I'm in Middlesbrough) and the second nearest was Leeds!

Perhaps they have better availability down south, but up here in the North they have practically no branches; no wonder I've never heard of them!
Original post by IWMTom
The nearest place to me that they have is Gateshead (I'm in Middlesbrough) and the second nearest was Leeds!

Perhaps they have better availability down south, but up here in the North they have practically no branches; no wonder I've never heard of them!

I'm Southern as you probably already know, I used heathrow as pick-up location (as I work there / live 3 miles from it). They had nothing for u25s available at all for a date of 3rd Jan lol.

Original post by lachlantelpois
what should i get for my first car

Read the stickies, make a thread and ask - this isn't the place to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest